PDA

View Full Version : VX daytime lights

jacobus
10/12/2005, 08:39 AM
Hi everyone,

I imported my VX into Canada, to have the car remain in Canada, the car needs a modification to daytime running lights, my isuzu dealer told me it might take a long time, because they have never done this before, does anybody know what it takes to make this conversion, any electrical diagrams to show where,when and how this modification takes place.
Any information is appreciated, I do not want to step on the brakes and the radio turns on, if you get my drift.
thanks everybody, have a good day :)

mbeach
10/12/2005, 08:48 AM
I suggest that you replace the bulbs in the marker lights/city lights/ the little round ones on the bumper with the 18w 'xenon' wedge bulbs available at the home improvement store. They are bright enough, and after you remove them from the parking light circuit will be easy to hook up to a 12v switched source.

This seems to be the best solution, because it keeps you from having to scavenge and hack in a DRL module from some other car. Plus, the VX is unique enough (there's not even kms on the speedo) that anything you do will look right.

Baxman
10/12/2005, 04:42 PM
I run DTRL's not because of any requirement, but for better visibility and to keep certain drivers out of my way. $50 fog or driving lights fit nicely in the oval openings below the grill. I leave the switch on so the lights are on when the engine is running. Not hard to wire, just follow the directions. I replace the lights, but not the wiring every other year due to sandblasted/rock-chipped lenses (don't get high-buck lights).

mrtew
11/08/2005, 07:19 AM
I suggest that you replace the bulbs in the marker lights/city lights/ the little round ones on the bumper with the 18w 'xenon' wedge bulbs available at the home improvement store. They are bright enough, and after you remove them from the parking light circuit will be easy to hook up to a 12v switched source.

This seems to be the best solution, because it keeps you from having to scavenge and hack in a DRL module from some other car. Plus, the VX is unique enough (there's not even kms on the speedo) that anything you do will look right.

You're telling me that those bulbs in the stock lamps will satisfy Canadian inspectors? I am moving to Canada really soon and this idea sounds almost too good to be true! I am freaking out about ruining my VX in order to try to get it to comply with the DRL requirement. Does anyone know the easiest way to get DRLs on a VX or if this really is good enough?

mbeach
11/08/2005, 09:07 AM
I'm not a Canadian inspector, so I don't know their requirements for sure. I was merely making a suggestion that would appear to work.

I don't think that hacking in a DRL module is the best solution in this case. I'm fairly certain that there are less than 10 VXs in the whole country, why can't they (Canada) grant an exception?

Found on the net, the US (or maybe just California) attempt at standardizing DRL requirements between the FMVSS (US) and the CMVSS (Canada):
"Based on the available agency research, NHTSA proposed to limit DRL intensity to 2600 cd. This proposed limit was well below the 7000 cd maximum intensity Canada had established, but more than double the 1200 cd limit then in effect or proposed in some European countries for DRLs."

It appears that there is some latitude (candela/output)here. So, it seems that as long as you fall somewhere in between the 1200 cd 'city lights' of Europe, and the maximum brightness of 7000 cd in Canada.

Now to find bulb ratings...

mrtew
11/08/2005, 03:05 PM
Well I went over there today to Canadian Tire and asked them to hook me up with some sweet DRLs and they looked at my truck in disbelief for a while and then got to work. They concluded that they couldn't do the headlights and explained why in electrical wiring terms I couldn't understand, but said they used the DRL module to hook up the round driving lights that I'd already made brighter with the new bulbs, and marker lights (including the headlight's 'horn' lights) and that would be all that Canada requires. (And they do the inspections so they should know) I always use my headlights anyway, but I think it's kinda cool the way it all worked out: I really like having the lights come on when I turn the key. I also got some child seat teather bolt that Canada requires so now I just need to get some stickers for the speedo so you can see where the km's/hr are and I'm all set I believe. They said I only need to mark 50, 80, and 100. Is there anything else I need to do? Thanks for your input!

Kenny
11/08/2005, 04:06 PM
Mrtew,
Man you got lucky, I pushed and pushed the Registrar of Imported Vehicles to get the small fog lights approved as DRL with no luck. I made the mistake of asking and had to spend $800 to have the headlights rewired to come on as DRL. I think the Canadian Tire guys did the module on the fog lights out of ignorance (apparent in their lack of knowledge on how to do it to the headlights- it can be done). The whole import approval system is quite loose for SUVs, so once you find an approved "inspector" to check off about 20 items on a one page form, you're pretty much out in the clear.

As for stickers, what a joke. The dealership that brought mine in said they never put them on and just say they did, as almost everyone ends up peeling them off anyways.

Mrtew, sounds like you're pretty much done - the biggest task was getting it across the border through US and Canada Customs. Where in Canada are you movin to?

For a check list of what you need to bring a car into Canada check out this link: http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

jacobus
11/08/2005, 04:29 PM
last week I had my VX modified to daytime running lights at the local ISUZU dealer in london ontario, it took about 5 hours, they converted the small fog lights in the bumper and eliminated the low beam in the headlights, then took it to canadian tire for the inspection, they had to see the conversion invoice, to show, that the work was done properly, they did a total mechanical inspection and emission test, no labels or nothing and we were ready for the license plate bureau and approved

mrtew
11/08/2005, 05:46 PM
Mrtew,
Mrtew, sounds like you're pretty much done - the biggest task was getting it across the border through US and Canada Customs. Where in Canada are you movin to?

Well I didn't get it thru customs yet. I just drove over as a visitor. I live in the border town of Detroit and am moving 12 miles across the river to Windsor... the site of the busiest US border crossing. Thousands of people go across every day just to eat dinner and party etc. so I haven't done any thing official yet aside from my permanant residency applicaiton. Keep the advice coming!

Kenny
11/09/2005, 09:02 PM
jacobus,
How do you find night driving without low beams, are your fogs now just as bright and aimed correctly? I'm looking at going the other way and putting a switch on my fogs to turn them off at night (they look too yellow now beside the Xenon headlights while city driving).

mrtew,
For US customs you'll have to give them (the border crossing location) a fax of the owner's slip a few days in advance and then check in with them as you leave the US and import the car to Canada. They say it's to ensure the vehicle is not stolen and being brought to Canada to "disappear". As for Canada Customs, get a broker to prepare all the paperwork that says all the taxes are paid (6% duty as it's made in Japan, 7% GST and ?% PST) and the other import papers i.e., Transport Canada K-22 Import form.
Good Luck.

jacobus
11/10/2005, 12:56 PM
Hi Kenny,
I usually have my headlights on in the second position and still have my brights, I hardly used my low beams in the past, all other lights stayed in tact, my original fog lights, kind of orangy in color, became my daytime running lights and were approved by canadian tire without changing to brighter lights