PDA

View Full Version : Does a VX Maintenance Chart exist?

SwampBuggyMan
10/09/2005, 06:15 AM
Hi, I am making a sort of form that shows all of my previous VX Maintenance, and what I think will need to be done on my next maintenance trip. Because its easy to forget what needs to be done when you take it in I believe.

And also taking into account what many of the experts recommend from this site like PVC valve, egr cleaning, trans filter ect., timelines.

Some of these things seem to be in addition to whats easily understood from the manual chart or what the dealers sometimes recommend.

I was wondering if anyone has yet to make a comprehensive chart like this already??

Also, can someone advise on whats the recommended life of synthetic motor oil, some say 10,000, some say 5000?

Thanks
Swamp

Joe_Black
10/09/2005, 03:56 PM
The maintenance schedule is available and in a very convenient place - the back of your owner's manual. As for the "extra" maintenance, that's a matter of opinion. Most will agree a good rule-of-thumb is to replace the PCV valve at every other oil change. At about $3 each they're cheap insurance. As for the EGR cleaning, results vary on that one. I've never touched the EGR on any of my Isuzu's with all but 2 of the 7 well beyond 100K miles. Others claim wondrous results tinkering with it.

Synthetic oil theoritically has a pretty long lifespan. So does all the crud it's keeping suspended in your engine waiting for you to change it. And unless you've got magic elves living in your oil filter, it also has a finite capacity to keep trapping said crud in its filter element. So, while the oil may be able to last a long time, the ability of your engine to put up with the neglect of changing that incredible oil is another thing. Do yourself a favor and change it at no more than 5K miles. Anything beyond that is ignoring reality and simple physics.