PDA

View Full Version : SUVs driven by *******

WyrreJ
10/09/2005, 02:25 AM
For the last month or so, my regular commute has been under construction. During the day they work on one lane of a two lane road and after work, they just leave the construction lane open but unpaved. So it is all dirt and loose gravel on that lane for about a quarter of a mile.

With my VX, driving over the unpaved section is just about as comfortable as driving over the regular paved & patched 200 times (Boston roads are full of crappy patch jobs). But it seems like 90% of the time, when I get to the unpaved section, I end up stuck behind some puss in a SUV who has slowed down to half or so of the regular speed. Sometimes, when there is no oncoming traffic, they will drive in that lane instead of the unpaved lane.

This really ticks me off. If you are going to buy an SUV and you aren't even going to take it off-road, the least you can do is make use of its SUV powers when the road gets a little rough. But noooo, other than myself, I have yet to see a single SUV driver take on this unpaved section like a real man - they always slow down to a ridiculous low speed - like they are driving a sports car with no clearance or something. Fortunately, it is a passing zone, and I have had the chance, twice now, to actually pass a couple of these *******.

Anyone else see this phenomena of SUV drivers forgetting that they are driving SUVs? (and this is the same state where it snows and ices and you see SUV drivers going 70+ because they think 4wd makes them invulnerable, I don't get it...)

Ldub
10/09/2005, 06:23 AM
I feel your pain VX brother,
We have the same ummm..."drivers" here. I also like the ones that go around corners at a speed that makes it look as if they think their vehicle is going to tip over.
I'm constantly threatening to install forward mounted "50's" on hood to deal with this issue... :mad: I think I'll go out driving right now, while most everyone else is in church. :)
There, all better now.
Bye Bye, Ldub

transio
10/09/2005, 08:23 AM
SUVs are no more impervious to rock chips than sports cars. Most SUVs, anyway. The VX is kind of unique in that the entire bottom half is clad in impact-resistant textured plastic. If I weren't driving a VX, I'd travel slow over loose rocks too!

TDAWG
10/09/2005, 09:06 AM
I know exactly how you feel. I see it all the time. Even my wife has made comments about it. There should be special licensing for any person who buys an suv to take a course of off-roading as well as learning what it can and can't do. Here in RI when it rains or snows I see suvs slow down to a crawl like it was a sports compact or lowrider. If the street gets flooded they do the same thing. I always say to myself " Why do they buy it if they have no clue how to drive it." I guess it's because to them it more of a stat symbol than practical symbol. At 1st I thought that maybe it was just a kid or woman thing no offense to all the real women who actually know how to drive 4X4s. But it's not just them it's guys too.

morgan-tec
10/09/2005, 10:48 AM
So i guess you can call me a pu$$Y, but i have almost as much paint on the front of the Axiom as the VX has on the entire car. I do plan on a custom clear bra when i get my paint done but that will still run $400 through a friend
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/195531/ACD996.jpg

Triathlete
10/09/2005, 03:36 PM
My favorite are the ones with 30" lifts running 40+ inch tires that slow down to a crawl to go over a speed bump that my daughters lowered Nissan could take at 25 mph!

transio
10/09/2005, 06:07 PM
I slow down for speed bumps and pot holes. You don't? You're screwing up your alignment (or worse!) if you don't.

Besides that, the tight suspension and big wheels make the ride impossibly hard at speed. Also, if I go too quickly, the bouncing makes me lose control of my vehicle - not a good thing to happen in a top heavy SUV. I imagine even worse in a 30" lifted vehicle.

Joe_Black
10/09/2005, 07:20 PM
I dunno, somehow I expected a post with cats driving trucks. Kittens maybe?

WyrreJ
10/09/2005, 07:46 PM
SUVs are no more impervious to rock chips than sports cars. Most SUVs, anyway. The VX is kind of unique in that the entire bottom half is clad in impact-resistant textured plastic. If I weren't driving a VX, I'd travel slow over loose rocks too!

It seems like it is becoming more common. I haven't noted any specific models, but I see a lot of SUVs, especially the mini-ute type, with loads of cladding.

Triathlete
10/09/2005, 08:28 PM
Oh I slow down for them just not to a crawl. I'm talking lowriders could go faster over the speedbumps than what these guys go...I think they're scared all the crome plating might fall off all thier bling if they went any faster. They go so slow I can almost see the spiderwebs forming underneith them!

pbkid
10/09/2005, 09:06 PM
morgantec your a different story, your ride is pimp, plus its lowered. yea my pet peeve is when they practically stop to turn like they are gonna tip over like you guys already said. well i just usually pass em on the shoulder if they do that slow on rough road...=)

WormGod
10/10/2005, 07:45 AM
I have to agree with ya. I treat my VX like a newborn but there are times when I have to give her the "crash course on the Hard Life", and she really takes a lickin' under my control.

I think there are exceptions to this though. Folks with anything LESS than AWD/4WD/TOD (equivelents) are granted immunity from these conditions.

If you have any of these goods, and you drive like Mrs. Daisy is in the backseat.... then you probably chose the wrong vehicle. (Sorry Morgan-Tec.... understanding your auto is for a whole other purpose is another thing ;) ).

Ya, I realise there are folks that do indeed have "pretty" trucks and they chose almighty $8k rims and with low profile/skinny city-boy tires.... thats fine. Just, for the love of all mankind and for the sake of the true SUV reputation.... leave the offroading, no matter how slight, to the ones who arent afraid of getting dirty tires and paint chips. ;)

MZ-N10
10/10/2005, 08:56 AM
My favorite are the ones with 30" lifts running 40+ inch tires that slow down to a crawl to go over a speed bump that my daughters lowered Nissan could take at 25 mph!

alot of ppl lift their cars for the look. just like how people lower cars but dont plan on racing them.

mbeach
10/10/2005, 01:54 PM
Unless you have some substantial mudflaps, passing on gravel is a no-no :thumbdn:

It flings rocks all over other cars, and occasionally (often up here) right at the windshield. I'm sure that your'e not making any friends by doing it. Who's so impatient that they can't follow an (overly) cautious driver through a construction area for a mere 1/4 mile?

I drive on gravel (lots of it) every day, through mountains, etc. Today it's snowing and 21 degrees. If you want to prove your SUV's manhood, stay out of the ditches -you won't impress me by driving fast.

Bulldoggie
10/10/2005, 03:21 PM
I have to agree, Passing on gravel is not cool.
Construction zones have maditory slow downs in my part of the world.
It's not about getting dirty and playing rough, it's about manners.
Rough play is for no traffic zones.

WyrreJ
10/10/2005, 07:23 PM
Unless you have some substantial mudflaps, passing on gravel is a no-no :thumbdn:
It must not be clear from my post, that passing requires moving into the oncoming lane which is not gravel.

transio
10/10/2005, 08:19 PM
I understood ya, Wyrre. :) Still doesn't make the slowpokes pusses though! :D

thebear54
10/11/2005, 04:52 AM
LOL...Then there is the other side of the SUV theory...
Go 90 MPH on a snow covered road coming from the city to go skiing in Vermont...and don't expect to slide off the road, just because you are driving an SUV.
My friend owns a wrecker/tow service here and he pulls these maniacs out of ditches all winter long...LOL
John

transio
10/11/2005, 05:11 AM
Good point, bear. What I see all too often in Miami is people driving their SUVs like they're sports cars: 100+ on the highway, swerving in and out of traffic, rolling so hard they're virtually up on two wheels!

thebear54
10/11/2005, 05:44 PM
...and the bad thing about I-95 in Miami is that if they wreck they will take out a lot of people(been there and know the road well down there)
At least up here if they wreck they probably will only take themselves out and maybe a moose, a couple of deer or some trees :rolleyes:
It is not that SUV drivers are *******...they just don't know what their vehicles were designed to do and what they are capable of. Of course it all comes down to this: THE DRIVER.
John

Maugan_VX
10/11/2005, 07:28 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread about Cayenne Owners.

...damn let down again.

mbeach
10/12/2005, 08:42 AM
Am I the only one who secretly wants a Cayenne S?
...I promise that I'll use it 'properly' ;)

As for the gravel thing, any truck/car/SUV with decent tread on its tires will easily fling a rock 4 feet in the air. If you do this in front of someone (like passing and returning to the right lane) they will drive into it. I've seen it happen, and it's happened to me. When some sled-neck in a 35" mudder-shod Chevy flings a ping-pong ball sized rock at your face at 60 mph you tend to start thinking about such things.

driver3
10/12/2005, 10:20 AM
I guess his point, and I agree is if you need/want an suv, what are you worried about scratchin it for?? get a station wagon if you need size.. no point in even a cayenne if you are worried about gravel.. get carrera.. or whatever. I agree that faster kills the guy behind you, but 1-2 mph to go over a speed bump or some construction gravel is ridiculous.... most construction even says 20...

transio
10/12/2005, 11:30 AM
if you need/want an suv, what are you worried about scratchin it for?Simple. I give a crap about my possessions.

driver3
10/13/2005, 07:08 AM
Oh come on .. there's a difference between 2 mph in some gravel with an suv and "taking care of it"... :p

Chopper
10/23/2005, 06:37 PM
I agree as well. Down here, in gods waiting room, a person with a penchant for propper sporting vehicles, ( me) spends a lot of time in frustration and disbelief. High speed frolics, and tail out fun must be had at 6am on sundays. BUT nothing pisses me off like stone trucks and the like tossing small projectiles at my paint as I pass them. You... IN A CAR THING( in the unlikely event you pass me on gravel) toss stones on my VX???? We got a real situation now. REMEMBER! We just changed the law here recently... we can legally SHOOT you now for threatening crap like that! You'll get a pamphlet at the Orlando airport when you arrive for mouse world. They suggest you not fight with the locals since we can now shoot you. YOU have been warned Mr. gravel flinging man.