PDA

View Full Version : smell and stalling

99VX4x4
10/06/2005, 12:45 PM
took the vx into the shop yesterday due to the stalling problem...told me the bottom of the airbox is broken and i need to replace it...also the rottonegg smell some of you may have encountered i was told was from an exhaust leak....bad news total for all should be wround $800

Raque Thomas
10/06/2005, 01:51 PM
Don't know what they're trying to charge you for that air box (a LOT - I bet), but with all the guys on the board who've eliminated theirs - there may be one to be had cheap here - if not try the salvage yards. I know a salvage yard here has one that rolled - airbox might still be intact. I could check for you if you want....

99VX4x4
10/06/2005, 01:56 PM
you guys think it just might be cheaper puttin in an air intake then?

psychos2
10/06/2005, 04:10 PM
are they telling you it is stalling because of the airbox? shawn

Corey872
10/06/2005, 05:49 PM
The two problems may be related, although it may not be your actual "airbox" per se. A lean condition can cause a host of chemical reactions in the exaust with the end result being sulfur building up in the catalytic converter. If the engine then burns slightly rich (ie slowing down, low speed-heavy throttle, sitting at a stop light, etc) the extra hydrocarbons (hydrogen specifically) in the exhaust stream will purge the sulfur from the cat as hydrogen sulfide...H2S the "rotten egg" smell.

If you have any type of leak in the intake that allows unmetered air into the engine (basically any air leak after the MAF sensor) this could cause a lean condition. Although a broken or missing air box or anything else before the MAF should not cause any harm because the MAF is still metering all the air that comes into the engine.

Of course, a lean condition can also show up as a stumble, or stall when your first hit the gas pedal to accelerate. So you may want to give it the once-over looking for bad O2 sensors, cracked vacuum lines, loose or cracked inlet hoses, plugged fuel filters, low fuel pressure, or any other item that would let excess air into the engine or choke off the fuel flow.

SPAZZ
10/06/2005, 07:44 PM
I bought the $100Calmini air filter with the bracket that holds it in place to not shake around...but, you can buy a $50 K&N and make the bracket your self. Screw the air box. As for the rotten egg smell...There is a service bulletin on that.