PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible? Just a thought on losing oil

Mikeys00vx
10/05/2005, 07:45 PM
Hi Guys/Gals,

First, let me say that I am not a qualified mechanic, so this theory may be ignorant at best. But here goes.

Before purchasing my VX, I owned a 1998 Isuzu Amigo, V6, 4WD. I too noticed that it burned about a quart of oil between changes. Every Isuzu owner that I talked too agreed that it was normal for that particular engine.

One day while at the local Quick Lube, I asked the tech what the benefits of switching to synthetics would be, as i'd considered it many times before, but never followed through with it. He wholeheartedly shot that idea down...saying that he'd seen numerous vehicles start to burn oil after the switch. I don't think he was knocking the whole synthetic idea in general, but he didn't agree with making a switch, especially at the 90k mark on the Amigo. He went on to say that he'd seen vehicles that didn't burn oil normally start to burn oil almost immediately because something about the rings and seals just couldnt handle the change.

Now, with that being said, is it possible that switching to synthetic motor oil could be the culprit in the VX oil burning problem? Just a thought.

Mikey

PS...I have ran regular motor oil since I purchased at 24k and it hasn't lost a drop of oil since I bought it....so naturally I have to wonder if this theory is right?!

Joe_Black
10/05/2005, 09:42 PM
This is sort of a "mechanic's myth" that's couched in a little truth. Basically, most true synthetics will dislodge and clean the engine of deposits built up over time from the use of regular oil. This build-up has been acting as sort of a "plug" behind the already worn seals and gaskets in an engine, which when removed allows seeping and in some cases, outright leakage. The culprit isn't necessarily the synthetic oil, but the underlying wear it subsequently uncovers. Also, engines with more wear can sometimes have a little blow-by which will also tend to consume oil. Couple it all together and you can see where that story comes from.

mbeach
10/06/2005, 08:53 AM
Also,
If he were a great tech, he wouldn't be working at Quick Lube...

VehiX
10/06/2005, 09:08 AM
Also,
If he were a great tech, he wouldn't be working at Quick Lube...

Ouch :rolly2:

lol :bwgy:

Syntek VX
10/06/2005, 10:41 AM
I've run both Synthetic , Syn Mixes and regular oil and burn though then at equal rates.

colmhd
10/13/2005, 03:06 PM
Yep there must be a lot of oil burning going on between changes.
I have nurtuered this little baby since I got it being extra careful about oil changes and such. Every 3K.
Now I've got that little knock thing happening and have taken it off the road to get it looked at.
There are a total of 2 VX's in Ireland. Cool for all the looks and comments, but when it comes to a major swap out UH! UH!.
Isuzu here won't touch it, out of it's warranty of course.
74K on the clock. Now the guy I've found who will do the work needs to know what the engine code is??
Something to do with the difference between Jap engines, British spec's and American spec's.
Anyone got a clue about where to find it. It's not the vin #
Thanks and "TOUO".
Top oil up often.