PDA

View Full Version : Transmission flush with new filter review

Syntek VX
10/05/2005, 09:36 AM
Well, came up to my 60k time so I took the VX into a local shop that services just Auto Transmissions in Heath OH called Brown's Transmission service. I was debating doing it myself but decided it was worth the extra to get it flushed 100% and not having to pull the brace and everything to get at the filter myself.
They had it in and out in an hour and it ran about $155.00 with tax and the whole nine yards which was a deal since the next closest place would have been the dealer which is about an 80 mile round trip for me and I would have had to drop it off and pick it up the next day so about 160 miles worth of driving.
They did a great job. The fluid was in ok shape for 60k miles and no abnormal wear which makes me happy since I want to Supercharge soon. The VX shifts much smoother now it's almost like one continuous gear compared to before. I also don't feel that shift into first little cluck when I come to a stop now. If you are debating a full flush and filter replacement and your due I would definatly recomend it.

driver3
10/05/2005, 11:48 AM
Where did you go?

I was going to do mine myself this weekend...

sature
10/05/2005, 12:14 PM
i also had mine done.... talk about night and day. I did the full flush and put in mobile 1 synthetic tranny oil. I got better gas milage too!!

mbeach
10/05/2005, 01:47 PM
the next closest place would have been the dealer which is about an 80 mile round trip for me and I would have had to drop it off and pick it up the next day

I hope that you weren't thinking about taking it to Dennis Isuzu on Morse Rd. in Columbus. They have failed to impress me on numerous occasions -plus, every time the service manager sees a white VehiCross coming, he ducks into his office and hides behind the desk.
Hatfield did a good job on my wife's Dragon while I was away -if I still lived in central Ohio, that's the only place I'd go to.

Syntek VX
10/06/2005, 10:50 AM
The Place was Brown's Transmission Serv in Newark OH at the intersection of 30th st and Wells 740-522-4459. It's almost in Heath which some people may know better.

map of location and you can get directions here as well if your local and looking for it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=30th+St+And+Wells+Av,+Newark,+OH

Tone
10/07/2005, 09:12 AM
Did they clean the filter in the front torque converter pan? Not quite as important as the regular filter - glad you go it done, so many people only do the flush and that is way insufficient - ask any true tranny tech.

driver3
10/07/2005, 01:02 PM
Did they clean the filter in the front torque converter pan? Not quite as important as the regular filter - glad you go it done, so many people only do the flush and that is way insufficient - ask any true tranny tech.

Ok... so when I'm under there tomorrow, is this an easy thing to do.. the torque convertor filter? I'm getting all ready thinking I've got everything set and now I find I need to change yet ANOTHER filter???? I want to make sure I do this right so if anyone can let me know I'd appreciate it. Gathering materials this afternoon for an 8:30 start tomorrow.. wheelbearings, transmission, transfercase, and differentials... followed by a Sunday detail job.. Like taking the VX to the spa...

Tone
10/07/2005, 02:04 PM
You can rinse the strainer out on the little pan - that is probably what people have been talking about when mentioning the filter in some conversations - it is very different than the pan filter. You will need a gasket for the little pan which is sometimes hard to find. Good luck and I strongly recommend the drill driven pump, clear hose and a 2qt+ clear funnel with a helper to keep adding fluid for you while you watch under the car and power the drill.

driver3
10/07/2005, 06:58 PM
Hey.. thanks Tone.. I have a good helper and I think I'm all set.. we'll take a look down there and see what we can find.

The support on this board is incredible... Thanks everyone... talk to you tomorrow when it's all finished (hopefully I don't need any contact in between ;Db; )

kpaske
10/07/2005, 08:09 PM
Driver3 -

Will you consider doing a write up or howto after you're finished? Pictures would be an added plus!

When I last did mine, I did a fairly thorough fluid change, as per Joe Black's howto, but I didn't change the filters, so I'd like to do it again some time in the near future.