PDA

View Full Version : 6 inch lift

raver_boi_88
10/04/2005, 03:19 PM
hey guys whats up?? not much here I was wondering if anyone on here has raised their vx more than 4"? I have mine at 4" and I want to add another two but i dont know where to get the parts for it. I know it is possible but i have to build a custom kit. I went to 4x4 parts and they looked at me like i was stupid when I asked them for lift suggestions for my vx. I want to gain a little more clearance with my vx. Hell they didnt even know what it was I had to show them my truck for them to believe me, the guy thought trhat i was joikin with him.

AlaskaVX
10/04/2005, 05:46 PM
The only ways I know of getting 6" is with a combination of your lift and a modified 3" Trooper body lift. Or SAS! :cool:

kpaske
10/04/2005, 07:45 PM
Yes... and the body lift won't give you any additional clearance. Any more than about 3-1/2" suspension lift is not possible without SERIOUS modifications.

SPAZZ
10/04/2005, 08:47 PM
don't bother with any of the 4 wheel places. I already tried after I got mine and they all stared at me like I had a spaceship or something and it was too futuristic for them to know anything about it. If it isn't in their books they won't even bother.

pbkid
10/04/2005, 10:26 PM
well technically a suspension lift wont give you any more clearance either because the rear axle is still at the same height. the main part is the tires, they are the part that actually makes you be able to drive over bigger things. the only function of a lift is so that you can put bigger tires on something.

raver_boi_88
10/05/2005, 05:50 AM
yeah your right about that with the lift. I am plannin to put 39.5" mud swampers or the 38 terra nitto mud tires on it if I can figure out how to get a big enough lift to fit them. I would like atleast if nothin else to fit 35" tires under the vx.

Triathlete
10/05/2005, 08:56 AM
SAS!!!!!!! The ONLY choice if you plan on anything that size in tires.
Even if you could figure out a way to lift the IFS enough to fit the tires the VXs 10inch front end would be breaking axle shafts every other day trying to turn tires that big (39s). Most people running tires that size are running Dana 60s with heavy duty parts (if they plan on "using" it)

raver_boi_88
10/05/2005, 11:49 AM
ok that is a good point mabee i should think smaller but i do want to lif the vehicle another two inches so i can fit atleast 34" tires under it. It just doesnt feel tall enough when i go over rocks n' stuff there have been a couple of times where i have actually scraped my under carriage. So like i said I need to raise it off the ground so I can get alittle better clearance. If anyone has any better suggestions on how to do this please let me know. Oh by the way what about the shackle extenders that calmini makes? They are two inch shackles but they only actually raise the vehichle about an inch.

driver3
10/05/2005, 11:51 AM
We don't have leaf springs so shackles are a non-issue here... Get some more skidplates and don't worry about scraping as much... I scrape all the time.. but it's on the plates....

raver_boi_88
10/05/2005, 12:03 PM
o stupid me i knew that... Yeah I have skid plates that I made in my autoshop at school out of 1/4" aluminum but i wanted alittle more clearance. I am currently tryin to fabricate new skid plates for the front and rear based off the plastic ones. Wheight is my biggest factor here because aluminum is rather pricey and very hard to weld.

driver3
10/05/2005, 12:08 PM
You think 1/4 inch aluminum is going to hold up under there? I would go with steel for the strength and the price.... you're already screwing your gas mileage as it is so who cares about more weight... you're going to have to change your gear ratios as well or you won't be going anywhere with all the tire and lift changes

raver_boi_88
10/05/2005, 12:12 PM
Mabee I will switch to steel, thats what the original templates where made of but my aluminum ones have been holding up fine for now. Ive scraped them on all kinds of junk and they havent bent yet. I might go back to the steel ones I get better gas milage with the aluminum ones tho.

AnalogVX
10/05/2005, 06:43 PM
well technically a suspension lift wont give you any more clearance either because the rear axle is still at the same height. the main part is the tires, they are the part that actually makes you be able to drive over bigger things. the only function of a lift is so that you can put bigger tires on something.

...Ditto...

sean_grigoros
10/05/2005, 07:46 PM
please be kind, any one lift vx about 3 inch, anyone have any spec or part or brand name recommend me to buy, please advise

Tone
10/05/2005, 07:57 PM
1/4" aluminum plate is plenty strong if the right hardness is used. I've run aluminum plates for the past 2 Moabs and had no problems. It is a 1/5 the weight of steel but must be mounted correctly of course.