PDA

View Full Version : Magnaflow catback

AnalogVX
09/30/2005, 10:49 AM
I just had a the catback installed Wednesday and it sounds great! I am pretty particular about mufflers. I had the PV2 and tried different tips to get it to settle down and gave it time to mellow, but still, I got tired of the drone. I then had a generic freeflowing muffler installed out of desparation which lasted about a year. (no suprise really) Once that muffler broke apart at the seams, I broke down and splurged on a magnaflow catback. Muffler part number 14325. I had it installed at Exhustworks in Naperville... great place, family owned, lots of experience. I have to admit, when the Tech first started up the VX, it was loud and ricey. I was having second thoughts, but I thought I would drive it couple days and check it out. HOLY CRAP! This system mellowed and smoothed out so much after just 50 miles I am in love with my VX all over again. Definate power increase, nice rumble at idle and normal acceleration and WOT is loud, but not rice. Small throttle inputs translate into a growl where as, in comparison, any input with the PV2 just made noise. I will get some sound clips as soon as I can.

transio
09/30/2005, 11:31 AM
I'm happy with my catback too. It's not a magnaflow... i forget the brand, but it's very nice mellow growly sound, dual tip.

Cyrk
10/03/2005, 07:45 AM
Speaking of catbacks I am running the Generate one Powervault catback. I have been very happy with this exhaust.

The VX is at the shop running some back pressure tests. I have the SC on and we think the exhaust pipes are too small restricting the flow. I think now that I should go up in pipes sizes. The PV catback I think is a a 2.25 pipe. Might jump to a 3".

-Dave

Cyrk
10/03/2005, 11:34 AM
I just got off the phone with the shop... the back pressure is reading 6psi which is too much back pressure for a SC motor... Should be reading 2 to 3psi.

So he is fabbing up a 2.5" dual cataback with magnaflow cats, new bungs for the O2 sensors and mufflers. I am excited to see how it turns out... He says I should feel a nice difference over the PV since when that exhaust was made, it was more for a NA engine.

Will go get it Dyno'd again to see. Will post later when I get her back. We are also powder coating my intake black to lower the heat coming from the shinny chrome intake pipe.

So does anyone want to buy my PV catback?

-Dave

AnalogVX
10/05/2005, 07:03 PM
I like how the PV1 catback sounds...(read Nocturnal) and have been searching for something similar. You are a few days late! LOL!
anyway... Spazz, clear some PMs out...I can't reach you.

Here's some numbers and links:

Muffler #14325 at
http://www.a-1performance.com/magnaflow/mufflers/mfm_4x9_ss.cfm

IEM111SS Stainless tip at

http://www.grabthepower.com/spec-stainless-tips.html

I got a couple sound clips from the interior, but it does not do it justice to how well it sounds. It is louder than the sound clip...but still sounds good. I will try and post it. It's an mpeg from a digital camera, so it's gonna take me a bit to figure out how.

MachineVX
10/06/2005, 04:05 AM
So, they're adding new magnaflow cats (what size? could you get us the part numbers)?

and going to dual mufflers? or is it one muffler with two pipes out for the dual exhaust?

Any part numbers would be appreciated!

tomdietrying
10/06/2005, 05:04 AM
I just installed the FlowMaster and I love it. It gives my VX a nice, beefy, mellow, throaty sound.

I would recommend it.

Peace.
Tom