PDA

View Full Version : 4lo Hissing and not disenguaging?

Numba1goalie
09/29/2005, 08:50 PM
OK, I have tried the search but I hate to sort through so many threads with no answers. So here is my dilema,

I have not used 4lo on my VX for quite a while. Infact, only once, and it was up and down my street just to make sure it worked. and it did!

But tonight, just for ***** and giggles I decided to throw it in 4lo as I drove to the end of my street once more. I came to a complete stop, shifted it into neutral, threw it into 4lo, heard it enguage, and away i went. As i drive at any speed however, I hear a loud hissing noise coming from under the VX?

So I bet you can guess my question! What is this hissing noise? I am guessing it isnt good as I own a Jeep which is my weekend toy and 4lo on that has never made sounds like that other then a whine when traveling at higher speeds then nessisary.

I should also note, that this time and last time I played with the 4lo on the VX and started to come out of 4lo and go to 4hi, i came to a complete stop, shifted into neutral, shifted into 4hi, and started to drive but only to notice the wheel would fight me as I would make a u-turn and it would feel as 4lo was still in. Funny thing is that the TOD sensor shows that it is in 4 hi by the power meter!

Any advice on this would help me a lot. Thanks!

greg

mbeach
09/30/2005, 08:14 AM
The last time that your TOD sent you into '4hi', was your check TOD light flashing?

Numba1goalie
09/30/2005, 10:30 AM
No it was not. as far as the TOD light is concerned, it is functioning properly.

The only thing that comes into mind is thinking of the jeep. When I have the jeep in 4 lo and shift to 4hi, I have to drive backwards 10 feet after disenguaging in order to unlock the "automatic" hubs. if not, it will do the same thing?

VehiGAZ
09/30/2005, 12:20 PM
I don't think anything is wrong with your VX, Greg.

Mine too makes a noise in 4L. I'd describe it as a gear whine noise rather than hissing, but they're close enough. Anyway, it's just the sound of the transfer case and low differential. It makes it all the time that I'm in 4L, whether I'm going 5 mph or 45 mph. I don't know much about how other 4x4s sound when in 4L, but my buddy's Trooper does it too (no kidding, huh?).

The VX has locked hubs, so there is no need to to drive backwards - this manouever unlocks the automatic hubs on jeeps and others (including my buddy's Trooper).

The fighting of the stering wheel after shifting out of 4L is called "tight corner steering" and is described and addressed in the owner's manual. After you shift out of 4L, you may experience this if you try to make a tight turn right away, or if make a u-turn right away, as you've indicated. From what I remember, you just need to drive straight a little after shifting out of 4L to avoid the tight corner steering phenomenon.

Numba1goalie
10/01/2005, 12:42 AM
great man. thanks a bunch for your help!