PDA

View Full Version : any pilots here?

Mr.Quackers
09/29/2005, 10:34 AM
as i go to school for Graphic design right now, i am starting to realize more and more that this is not what i want to do for the rest of my life. so i am looking for a change and was playing wiht the idea of becoming a pilot. if there are any pilots here i was wondering if there any pro's and con's of the job. just a though for now, but it seems like something i might enjoy doing. any input is greatly appreciated.

Joe_Black
09/29/2005, 12:54 PM
We've got a few on board here. As for flying as a job, the cons are long hours and little pay with a lot of dues-paying before the slim chance of nailing the left-seat dream job at either FedEx or UPS. The pros? You get to fly! ;) I originally pursued it as a career until a close-encounter with a FedEx application, then decided it would be more enjoyable to fly for a hobby instead. But I'm sure others here will chime in with differing opinions and experiences. Unless you've got a solid military flight background it is VERY difficult to get a good paying job in aviation though.

"Search" is your friend: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=7360&highlight=pilots

Seidmanrob
09/30/2005, 06:13 PM
I am a retired Fedex Pilot. Contact me if you have any questions.

Simon Templar
10/13/2005, 11:38 AM
Speaking as someone with nearly fifty years spent in the aviation industry and as one who has witnessed it go from its salad days to the disgraceful present day state of things:

Mark my word....

Save yourself from the heartache and pain. Go into some other field of endeavour. It is not what you think it is...and it never will be.

(Sorry, mate....but you did ask.)

....sT

Mr.Quackers
10/13/2005, 08:33 PM
True, i "DID" ask. it was just something i was concidering, and after doing a bit of research, descided not to get into it. guess it turns out that it really is not for me after all. thanks for the input everyone. now i just need to try and figure out what will be next. haha ;)

Mikeys00vx
10/13/2005, 08:51 PM
I have my Private license as well as Instrument Rating. I decided to get into the managment side of aviation and currently work in airport operations in Charlotte, NC.

Mikey

Randy
10/14/2005, 07:09 PM
I am a private pilot with a Glasair SIIS-RG. I love this airplane! I can get from Palm Beach to central Louisiana in 4 hours on 40-45 gallons. It holds 71 gallons. A cross-country machine like the Glasair really opens up your back yard area.

I will soon be flying different territory though, as I just bought a home in Pagosa Springs, Colorado and am moving there in December.

Randy

spaceCADETzoom
10/15/2005, 09:18 PM
I'm not a pilot (took lessons, musta got a bajillion hours, just never got around to finishing), but I will say I am a reformed artist. I was an illustration major at Art Center and it took years for me to realize it wasn't what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. It's been 4 years...I haven't picked up guoache or charcoal in that entire time...and I'm happy for it!

hmm...if my life was condensed to just what one can learn from this post, it would seem i quit a lot of things...hah. A lot of expensive things.