PDA

View Full Version : Tone - quick explanation of all the goodies on your site?

IsuZOOM
04/03/2003, 01:17 PM
I've been searching through threads, but it's hard to find straight answers to some of the questions. If this already exists, I'd love the link, but if not, I think a quick explanation of the benefits (and pitfalls) of all of your VX accessories would be a great idea!

A few q's:

Adjustable Rate / Duration 3rd Brake Light Flasher

Is this just for fun? Does it just flash when you press the brakes?

AutoTrans Interceptor Adjustable Electronic Shift Kit

I've even gone to the mfr's site on this one, but I still am not exactly sure what it does or why I want it?

Forgive my ignorance :)

Moncha
04/03/2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Randy712

A few q's:

Adjustable Rate / Duration 3rd Brake Light Flasher

>>> It flashes when you press the brakes here's the sample movie (http://homepage.mac.com/amonday/.Movies/brakeflash.MPG) from his site.

AutoTrans Interceptor Adjustable Electronic Shift Kit

>>> The Interceptor increase transmission line pressure reducing burnt clutches & bands, delays the timing of the application of the torque converter clutch eliminating TCC shudder, chug & stress, and engine bogging when pulling loads, eliminates the need to install complicated "valve body kits".

Basically, makes the tranny shift firmer yet smoother without having to modify the actual transmission.

Forgive my ignorance :)

Only ignorant till educated ;)

IsuZOOM
04/03/2003, 02:20 PM
Thanks! Any complaints or drawbacks to the tranny mod?

Moncha
04/03/2003, 02:26 PM
None, I like the crisp shifts that it creates.

JHarris1385
08/22/2006, 11:26 AM
What exactally are the benfits from installing the AutoTrans Interceptor?

kpaske
08/22/2006, 02:59 PM
It basically allows you finer grained control over how your tranny shifts. I just recently installed it using Tone's suggested settings and I'd say there is a moderate (but noticeable) improvement in how it shifts, particularly when accelerating quickly. It shifts a bit smoother and faster.

JHarris1385
08/22/2006, 03:13 PM
is there any mpg increase that is my main concern with the vx......

etlsport
08/22/2006, 07:22 PM
if youre worried about gas mileage, the VX is not the vehicle you want.. its not uncommon for a VX to get 12-13mpg, cruising at 70-75 on the highway i get about 18mpg

JHarris1385
08/23/2006, 10:53 AM
I already know that but if there is a possiblity for imrpovement im going to do it.......

kpaske
08/23/2006, 12:12 PM
There really aren't too many ways to improve gas mileage in the VX, but here is a short list:

1. Drive like your grandmother. Or at least drive like *MY* grandmother. ;) Take it easy on the go pedal and you'll find you go further between fill-ups.

2. Reduce weight. Remove anything you don't need, such as the rear seat.

3. Use street tires and keep them aired up properly. A lot of us nut cases on here drive with aggressive mud or off-road treads 24/7, even on the street. Not good for gas mileage.

4. Install manual hubs on the front. I haven't tried this one yet, but theoretically the reduced driveline drags should have a pleasant effect on highway driving.

Can anyone else think of any others?

Tone
08/23/2006, 12:55 PM
Mileage could theoretically increase a tad since it allows more power to transfer through the shift before the converter locks up but I doubt it would be anything more than .25mpg if that. Max air (as listed on the tire NOT the book or sticker on the car) will make the biggest difference as will avoiding jumps starts and quick stops.

tbigity
08/23/2006, 05:31 PM
What exactally are the benfits from installing the AutoTrans Interceptor?

Man JH, this is like, the 5th time today I've read you asking that question...you must want one of those suckers.

All I have heard is postive ravings about it. Cleaner, crisper shifts, no shift lag, especially between 1-2 and 2-3 gears (thanks transio), and less strain to the engine. I would imagine a lightly improved economy if you like your foot in it since it won't stay at the top end as long.

tbigity
08/23/2006, 05:34 PM
suppose I should have read all posts b4 posting my last message. turns out everything I said was just regurgitation. Sorry for making any readers read it.

Oh, and sorry for making you read this apology as well :)

JAFO
08/24/2006, 12:32 PM
Does the Interceptor also improve downshifting? When your passing people :p

Tone
08/24/2006, 12:45 PM
Yes. And especially good with a supercharger.

Boogieman
08/24/2006, 01:12 PM
>> AutoTrans Interceptor Adjustable Electronic Shift Kit

I'm curious if this might help what my '01 is doing more and more of these days- very hard clunks between shifts, up and down. Sometimes it's LOUD, too, and metallic sounding. Fluid levels seem fine. I've had it in 'Power' mode for the last week and that seemed to fix it- moving the shift/RPM- but it was doing it again this morning.

Weird. I can start it back up in the evening and not have this happen at all- very random it seems, but once it's starts, it'll do it for nearly every shift until I stop.

So, any ideas if this issue might be resolved by installing the Interceptor Shift Kit?