PDA

View Full Version : Recaro Leather - deep scratch

Maugan_VX
09/18/2005, 09:35 AM
http://www.thewolfweb.com/photo_photo.aspx?user=87&photo=427923&filter=

The zipper on the wallet pocket of a pair of shorts I was wearing last night did this to my baby, and I'm so effing pissed I can't even think.

I know the picture is crappy (stupid treo camera sucks) but can anyone tell me if that is repairable? Am I screwed in that I'll have to buy a new seat bottom?

FYI,

The shorts were set on fire in the parking lot when I found out what happened.

Raque Thomas
09/18/2005, 09:48 AM
The car dealers in your area have vendors that come to their lots to fix things like that - if you call one of the better ones in your area, they may be able to hook you up with one of the people who repair those kinds of things. I've used that approach twice for different repairs, and it worked out well.

My GF had a pair of shorts with metal buttons on the back pockets that put half circles in the red part of my passenger seat that I need to have repaired as well. That red leather seems to be kind of soft/weak.

Maugan_VX
09/18/2005, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the info. I've got to wait until tomorrow to call an interior place. Its going to be a bit on the pricey side I'm told :-/

VehiGAZ
09/19/2005, 05:31 AM
Wow Maugan - you set them on FIRE? I kinda like that. When my snowboard slid off the fender in the Mt Snow parking lot and took a shaving out of my driver's door cladding, I was just about as pissed (but I had just got the snowboard, so I wasn't about to set it on fire...)

Don't spend too much on the repair. This place has plenty of (used) replacement seats available for less than $400:

http://car-part.com/

Navigator
09/19/2005, 05:47 AM
I have used red touch up paint on both my steering wheel and seats to repair wear. IMO the imperfections make the VX look even more rugged. I have a spare drivers seat. Got it back in the days when I was insane about keeping every little detail of my VX in "like New" condition. Like I said I just paint the wear marks now, I barely notice a difference.

Maugan_VX
09/19/2005, 01:29 PM
I took it to the Auto Interior place here in Raleigh that was highly recommended by a couple of my friends that restore cars and the guy there wanted to replace the whole grey panel.

Going to search for some vinyl repair places... maybe hitup the advance auto parts store for a touchup kit.

Raque Thomas
09/19/2005, 02:27 PM
Maugan - check the phone book for M.A.R.S. and Tidy Car franchises - I've had experience with these guys, and their systems work.

LeDonovan
09/19/2005, 10:15 PM
New VX owner and just had my seats repaired. Call the top detail shops in area as they always have good vendors on stand by. I had 2 large scratches repaired, one on each seat, plus a dash repair for glue (or something) removal. Charged $85.00 and did a BEAUTIFUL job...can't even see where they were, and they were deeper than yours. Good luck!

P.S. Look for leather repair people for furniture. I watched the guy and what they do is use special glue to fill and secure, then they sand to make smooth, and then dye the fabric. Same procedure as for furniture.

Dare2Dream
09/21/2005, 12:48 PM
I wonder if something like this would work:

http://leatherrepairkits.com/

Their website is very convincing, i wonder if anyone here has ever used it. On the flip side, the kit cost fifty bucks