PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running without Cats???

Chef
09/17/2005, 04:34 PM
Just wondering if anyone has removed/gutted their converters and how the VX ran before and after. Thinking about doing this as there's no emissions around here.

Corey872
09/17/2005, 10:06 PM
I can't speak for the VX, but the cat melted down in my old bronco, effectively removing itself from service. I did not notice any performance gains. However, there was definitely an increase in the smell of the exhaust. Any time I would stop at a light, back up, or sometimes turn just right, it would let a fairly obnoxious smell into the truck and it was at times almost unbareable with the windows down.

I doubt that modern cats pose much of an exhaust restriction, not to mention that you will probably throw codes because of the after-cat O2 sensors...once the check engine light comes on, the computer will be in a "safe-mode" and you will probably loose a slight bit of performance.

If it were me I would leave them alone.

MZ-N10
09/18/2005, 01:33 AM
but think about teh sounds ull produce....think about it...pv2 with no cat.....

Hotsauce
09/18/2005, 04:59 AM
Bad or no cat will set a check engine light from the downstream O2 sensor, and probably put the computer into reduced performance 'limp home' mode.

John C.

Chef
09/19/2005, 11:19 AM
Well I've removed the cat on my grand prix and just added an O2 simulator. Not sure about performance gains as I was modding the supercharger at the same time, but it was def. louder.

I was just wondering if anyone had done it on the VX since the grand prix community is all about modding.

mbeach
09/19/2005, 02:15 PM
A high-flow catalytic convertor will serve better than no cats at all -especially in this normally-aspirated truck. Now with a turbo, it's all about exhaust flow, and 'test pipes' are all the rage.

I say look into a Random Technologies or CatCo unit, and spare yourself the trouble of fabbing a CEL eliminator for each of the after-cat O2 sensors.

Cyrk
09/19/2005, 02:27 PM
MachineVX is running magnaflow cats.

I might try these since I am going to try and replace my Powervault Catback with a new 3 inch exhaust, from my local speed shop.