PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust flange (weld) problems

AlaskaVX
09/14/2005, 03:40 PM
Well I just took out the passenger side exhaust last night, what a PITA had to drop torsion bar do not attempt yourself if your not an alignment wise person.

Well I found the same problem that happened with my driver side exhaust before, the weld on the flange on the drop pipe just after the manifold has busted. I am curious if anyone elses welds broke there?

Isuzu wanted $1000+ for the pipe (includes cats I guess) so I am just welding them back up. Is this a supercharged problem, or are others having problems, or is it just some lame guy at Isuzu that welded mine together? Does 5psi really make that much of a difference in exhaust pressure?

Just seeing if anyone else has had the same problem.........

ScottinMA
09/14/2005, 03:49 PM
I'm running 5 psi in mine without any problem.

Cyrk
09/14/2005, 07:01 PM
no problems here.

AlaskaVX
09/19/2005, 06:06 PM
btt

mbeach
09/20/2005, 09:19 AM
You shouldn't be seeing an increase in "exhaust pressure," supercharged or not.

It sounds like your exhaust is bouncing around, fracturing the weld where your tubing meets the most rigid part (exhaust manifold).
I'd look for missing/broken exhaust hangers, then check for alignment issues that were incurred during installation of your PV muffler.
If all elese fails, remove the entire system and bolt it back on in once piece, from front to back.
A flex pipe or two may solve your troubles if that (reinstall) doesn't work.

Tone
09/20/2005, 10:05 AM
I've had the passenger side fail twice (replacement pipe did the same thing) - took them off and had them welded properly and no trouble since. I also had the driver side done once. They are more prone to break after adding a muffler as many shops do not support them right and it puts a lot of stress on that part (the factory weld is shoddy though).

Supercharger at 20psi would not have any effect on this unless motor mounts are bad and the motor is twisting substantially under hard acceleration.