PDA

View Full Version : Question About Line-X And Cladding

UNEVEN THOUGHTS
09/12/2005, 12:12 PM
I wandered into my local Line-X shop today for a quote on having my cladding and hood insert done in a nice charcoal black. I spoke with the shop owner who looked the cladding over carefully and then told me that he'd love to do the project but that the hood insert was the only thing he could maybe spray. He stated that "it just wont stick good" and that he was certain it would just peel off. I told him there were a few other VX owners that have had their cladding done and so he asked me to find out from you guys if there was any special process used by your Line-X guy to make things stick.

XCross69
09/12/2005, 12:17 PM
Good ?, I have just had the insert done at the cost of $50.00

Numba1goalie
09/12/2005, 09:00 PM
I have my entire Jeep YJ sprayed with the same stuff and he had to get a high grit sander and sand down the body to make it stick well. Thats where the problem comes with the cladding, cause I dont know how thick it is personally. I wouldnt see the hood being a problem but it would be silly to do just that, or that at all.

Pic:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/numba1goalie/000_0109.jpg

Triathlete
09/12/2005, 10:55 PM
Ah! I see theres another PBB person here! ;eeky; :freek:

Tone
09/13/2005, 05:43 AM
Go to a different, more knowledgeable shop. The cladding only needs to be scuffed with sand paper and sprayed with a plastic prep before coating. Many VXes have already been done - Rhino is ridiculously overpriced BTW.

Syntek VX
09/13/2005, 06:18 AM
You will need to use an adhesion promoter to piant plastic. I've painted plastic parts on several cars and it's never peeled using a good adhesion promoter. Even the one we bought at WakMart, (short on time so we had to) bull dog brand or something like that, and the Duplicolor one seems to be holding very well. It's almost like glue for your paint. The black plasitc side mirrors on my SRT-4 are about the same material as the cladding on our VXs and I used the duplicolor promoter with Mopar paint and even though they are assulted by rocks, bugs and other flying objects there is not one flake or chip.

hope this helps... BR

UNEVEN THOUGHTS
09/14/2005, 07:37 AM
Can anybody tell me what they paid for their Line-X job?

zadam123
09/16/2005, 06:34 PM
Got mine done over a year ago for about 450 for a blue line x cladding and insert. They used some spray befor the linex to make sure it stuck

adam

Numba1goalie
09/19/2005, 05:28 PM
for my entire body on the wrangler I paid $600. Thats not including the preping and so forth I had to do.

Numba1goalie
09/19/2005, 05:30 PM
And by the way. Maybe Rhino liner on a VX would be overpriced, but it is worth every penny on the Wrangler. Only on the fact that my Jeep goes practically anywhere now, and I dont have to worry about a pretty paint job or some plastic cladding.