PDA

View Full Version : Torn CV boot on 3 inch Lift......

JoFotoz
09/03/2005, 11:28 AM
Anyone else had this problem???

Just noticed it today while putting on new Rims &Tires.
Will call calmini on Tuesday...but wondered if others had a "cure"...

...are we talking drop brackets ..I was told they were not needed.

jo

Nazrat
09/03/2005, 03:30 PM
Yup, and yup.

Running the joints at that angle will definitely contribute to worn boots. One thing that also seems to happen is that Isuzus that are run at factory ride height for a number of miles then lifted, is that the old worn-in boots tear shortly after the lift. Boots that are put on a lifted truck generally don't rip in such a short period of time though.

Drop brackets should help. They reduce the angle of the joints, which puts less stress on the boots. If you off-road it should also result in a stronger front driveline as the joints are most strong when they aren't bent at all. Drop brackets keeps them closer to that position.

-Tad

SPAZZ
09/03/2005, 05:42 PM
untill you get drop down brackets...if it is the inner boot(usually is) when you install the new one...

put grease inside cup and then put clamp on bigger side of boot that goes over the cup..then push small end of boot up as far as you can...do not fasten the small end of boot in place where it is suposed to go inbetween the humps. If you secure it over the hump as far as you can then it will not have to flex so much with articulation, the small end of boot will now slide up and down the shaft :p instead of getting pulled with shaft :cool:

you can do it yourself very easy...if you need help or a walk through pm me and I'll give you my number to help you out.

JoFotoz
09/04/2005, 08:52 AM
Does anyone make the drop brackets ...or is this a 'custom' fabrication job?

jo

Nazrat
09/04/2005, 09:20 AM
Joe @ http://www.darlington-offroad.com/ offers drop brackets. Tell him where you heard about them so that he'll continue to support the Isuzu aftermarket.

-Tad