PDA

View Full Version : Let's keep them in our prayers

Lease-V-cross
09/01/2005, 08:29 PM
Not just the VXer's affected by Katrina...but EVERYONE!
I think I'm numb from all the images of the aftermath.

Cyrk
09/01/2005, 08:32 PM
So scary, I pray for us all. Sometimes it feels like it is going to be the end of the world. Hope not.

Lease-V-cross
09/01/2005, 08:45 PM
I've been to Mardi Gras in "Narlan's" as they say..back in 1992. I had a blast. I'm so saddened by this. What a city with such great history and culture. I think the only way they can rebuild New Orleans is by constructing a higher levy and possibly another three levies behind that one. Everything else along the coast will have to be leveled. They may even have to make sections of the city similar to Venice with Canals and walkways only. No cars.

Ldub
09/01/2005, 09:06 PM
I'm with CYRK, with all the bad juju going on world wide, sometimes it seems like "the begining of the end". I'm ever hopeful that humanity in general will soon have the sence to take a step back, & a careful look at where we're headed.
I have "kinfolk" in LA. & my thoughts & prayers are with them all.
Ldub

Lease-V-cross
09/01/2005, 09:22 PM
I believe in God.
I also believe that God maintains a balance to all things.
I believe that this country is being taught a lesson.
Last year Florida was pummeled, now New Orleans.

We have advertised ourselves long enough that "we are the greatest" and we will spread our views of freedom throughout the world. This is wrong of us to assume that every country feels the same. Sure, there is injustice everywhere. Poverty everywhere, even the poverty in the U.S. has risen since last year...now add all the people displaced because of Katrina.
Forecasters knew eventually a massive flood like this could happen. Plans were in the works for the levy to be strengthend and stabilized, but those plans were scrapped when Bush got into office.
What comes around goes around.
We destroyed Iraq. Yes, Saddam was a dictator, but there was a sense of order there. There were no WMDs, anyway. All lies to get us over there for the oil.
Corporate greed has destroyed this country. "The American Dream"...guess what..it was just that...."a dream".

VehiX
09/01/2005, 10:20 PM
Although I feel for everyone down there.....

I am absolutely DISGUSTED at the visions I'm seeing on TV! I guess something like this is god and or natures way of "Thinning Out The Heard"!!!

I can't even imagine what people in other countries think of us "Americans" as they watch this mayhem continue! I'd even venture to say that some are LAUGHING at us right now!

Riots, Rape, looting, crime, cops turning in thier badges and joining in, dead bodies robbed, rescuers trying to HELP getting shot at! .... THE LIST GOES ON!

If you are trying to "survive" down there, may peace be with you!

For those taking advantage and for those who partake in these criminal acts.....Your time will come soon enough and I hope it's slow and painful!

I sincerely appologize if this post offends anyone but words cannot describe the disgust I feel as I watch this unfold. This is HORRIBLE!!! :nor:

dutchie
09/02/2005, 12:00 AM
I feel for everyone involved, the world is up side down, tsunami here, typhoon and hurricane there...what's going on?
I was surprised to see the looting, I always thought that people were at their best in times of dispair...but I guess I was wrong.... it reminded me a bit of the LA riots, why oh why.

Lease-V-cross
09/02/2005, 06:17 AM
There are many different reasons that chaos always develops.
First, all of those residents were warned to leave, many did not take it seriously enough, many could NOT leave due to sick loved ones or did not have the means (a car, trapped in their own home, etc.) Once the reality and weight of their situation hit them, then the panic started. Plus the fact that they were told to wade through all that disgusting water and try to make it to the Superdome for assistance...once they got there, there was none. They sat and waited in that huge cooking pot and the conditions only got worse.
As far as the "looting" goes....I can understand taking food and water, maybe even clothes...but the TV's and other such $ items does not make sense. You have no home to store all these stolen goods and you're going to be evacuated anyway, so what's the point? Bush says "zero tolerance for looters"...PLEASE....If he was down there, he'd be the first to cry and steal a row boat! The retail bastard Walmart will survive...trust me...it's the little mom & pop stores that will be forced to close due to the looting and flooding.

MSHardeman
09/02/2005, 07:51 AM
I totally understand everyone's frustration with the deterioration of society in New Orleans right now, but as someone said in a post above, most of these people left behind where either too sick or poor to leave. They are down there with no food, water, or way to find out that the rest of the country knows their plight and is on the way to help. Yes, it has taken our government an awful long time to get down there, but help is finally on the way. These people are starving and scared, so I understand their frustration.

I, also, totally agree that looting a store for the basics (food and water) is justified, but stealing electronics, jewelry, furs, etc. is completely uncalled for. Those people should be taken out of the gene pool in a slow and painful manner.

I have family down in New Orleans, and luckily they where able to get out on Friday and Saturday. My parents live in Baton Rouge, and where among the lucky ones there in that they still have power and no real damage to their house.

I know that everyone is angry with all of the bad things going on in New Orleans right now, but I think that we need to focus all of our prayers and positive energy on the situation. I'm lucky because my family is safe, but they may not have anything to return to once the flood waters recede. The same goes for some of the people in our little VX community. We can't take care of, or save, everyone so we need to focus on what we can do. It may seem a little silly, given the massive scale of the destruction, but we need to see if we can help out our fellow VXers. I'm sure that there where a couple down in New Orleans, as well as, the Mississippi and Alabama Gulf Coast. Is there a way for us to find where they are and see if they need our help? Anyone?

I've been continually amazed at the people on this forum and their willingness to help out on even the most mundane of issues. Let's see what we can do now.

Thanks.

WyrreJ
09/02/2005, 09:50 AM
Don't forget that evil sells - the news networks will hype the bad and trivialize the good. Clearly there is bad sh|t going down, but I don't think it is all that it has been cracked up to be.

To add to the part about looting - food, clothes, shoes, tools, medicine, guns, small childrens toys, radios, even small tvs are all "valid" lootable items because they all are survival tools (yes even the toys, keeping the kids pacified/occupied is big time important).

While it doesn't help the people any to say this today, but I believe the main problem is a failure of management. Both in preparing the city for storms and in the recovery efforts.

smorris65
09/02/2005, 11:49 AM
I work at the Sheraton & Westin Hotels in Dallas. We have opened up the Sheraton, which is usually closed, to house 500 of the New Orleans evacuees. Today I assisted with unloading donations at the door and must say, I have never experienced anything like I did today. it was amazing how much stuff was donated. We finally had to stop receiving donations as there were so many to sort through.

Marcusholm
09/02/2005, 07:08 PM
There are many different reasons that chaos always develops.
First, all of those residents were warned to leave, many did not take it seriously enough, many could NOT leave due to sick loved ones or did not have the means (a car, trapped in their own home, etc.) Once the reality and weight of their situation hit them, then the panic started. Plus the fact that they were told to wade through all that disgusting water and try to make it to the Superdome for assistance...once they got there, there was none. They sat and waited in that huge cooking pot and the conditions only got worse.
As far as the "looting" goes....I can understand taking food and water, maybe even clothes...but the TV's and other such $ items does not make sense. You have no home to store all these stolen goods and you're going to be evacuated anyway, so what's the point? Bush says "zero tolerance for looters"...PLEASE....If he was down there, he'd be the first to cry and steal a row boat! The retail bastard Walmart will survive...trust me...it's the little mom & pop stores that will be forced to close due to the looting and flooding.

This is just another excuse for all the "lefties" to turn a terrible "act of nature" into a political "sour grapes" speech. I'm sure John Kerry would have been able to divert the storm back to sea.

This whole thing is sad, but no one's fault. Anyone who tries to blame anyone is just plain ignorant.

But, having said that, I'm not surprised. The left will stretch and reach for any excuse to try and make themselves look and feel better. Good try, but this country for the most part is smarter than that.

tomdietrying
09/02/2005, 07:24 PM
Is it true that our President, the day after the hurricane, flew out west to play golf??? WTF???

Is that the way a President is supposed to act after a NATIONAL crisis???

Tom

Lease-V-cross
09/02/2005, 08:12 PM
It just gets me how some people can have such "tunnel-vision".
I'm not saying there wouldn't have been any damage to The Big Easy. it's not like we can plan when this stuff is gonna happen....but making these sufefring people wait practically a whole week before receiving any help? It's mismanagement on every level. It's like they were all trying to figure out "who should help first and at what cost" first rather than just acting. By the way, it's common knowledge that when Bush got into office several programs and fundings were cut, if not eliminated. Art and music programs in schools, Company emission regulations..and Bush and his buddies cut funding for the levies.

Read on (http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/090105I.shtml)

and another interesting article (http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/research/1282151.html)
Everyone knew New Orleans needed help to reconstruct and improve the levy conditions down there...but no-ooooooo, we have to go invade another country and put this country's priorities on the back burner. So the 35th largest city with 1.3 million people living in it has to suffer and be destroyed. Well, guess what Mr. Bush...you may not have seen the destruction and despair you started in Iraq first-hand...but you better get your *** down to cajun country real fast and wake up from you 5-week vacation.
Mission Accomplished.

nocturnalVX
09/02/2005, 10:15 PM
It just gets me how some people can have such "tunnel-vision".
I'm not saying there wouldn't have been any damage to The Big Easy. it's not like we can plan when this stuff is gonna happen....but making these sufefring people wait practically a whole week before receiving any help? It's mismanagement on every level. It's like they were all trying to figure out "who should help first and at what cost" first rather than just acting. By the way, it's common knowledge that when Bush got into office several programs and fundings were cut, if not eliminated. Art and music programs in schools, Company emission regulations..and Bush and his buddies cut funding for the levies.

Read on (http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/090105I.shtml)

and another interesting article (http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/research/1282151.html)
Everyone knew New Orleans needed help to reconstruct and improve the levy conditions down there...but no-ooooooo, we have to go invade another country and put this country's priorities on the back burner. So the 35th largest city with 1.3 million people living in it has to suffer and be destroyed. Well, guess what Mr. Bush...you may not have seen the destruction and despair you started in Iraq first-hand...but you better get your *** down to cajun country real fast and wake up from you 5-week vacation.
Mission Accomplished.

Absolutely true... and how much do you want to bet that we keep OUR "National Guard" troops in a forien land while OUR people suffer?

Here's a quote from June 28, 2005 of our President pledging to turn things around as far as infrastructure concerns...

"We're improving roads and schools and health clinics. We're working to improve basic services like sanitation, electricity, and water. And together with our allies, we'll help the new Iraqi government deliver a better life for its citizens."

Oops... I'm sorry, the Iraqi people seem to come first. The homeless, hungry, poor and sick in America will have to wait.

Oh yeah, those of you that live in our cities' gang-controlled neighborhoods (not just in the Anarchy zones down South either) will have to stay inside and keep your heads down for a while longer. I know in his speach President Bush said "My greatest responsibility as President is to protect the American people.", but it looks like peace must first come to those in the Middle East. I'm certain that (as soon as we wrap things up over there) you will be able to go outside without without fear of getting gunned down. Then we'll spend our money taking care of America's needs... yeah, right.
:sighy:

On the bright side... I found out today that my friends made it out of there safely. No details, but they are okay. They have no idea about their property yet though. My heart goes out to all those that are going through this horrible time.

nocturnalVX
09/02/2005, 10:37 PM
I wonder if the $330 million NASA spent to crash a probe into a hunk of space ice would have helped improve the situation along the Gulf? Oh, well... we'll never know. :rolly:

Lease-V-cross
09/03/2005, 05:02 AM
I'll tell you what it is...MASSIVE NEGLIGENCE!
As long as we keep throwing the American people sports & entertainment, and new cool products to buy, and new fancy cars, and flashy commercials they will be blinded while the politicians fill their fat pockets and spend the American people's money on useless crap! Bridge to Nowhere! (http://www.plastic.com/article.html;sid=05/08/18/07013830)

$220 million dollars to connect an island where 50 people live!
$220 million. Let's think about that. Where else could that money be used? Hm-mmmmm....
Reports indicate the poverty level is rising in America too. Oh-hhh...but no-oooo...Iraq has to come first. There's a reason this is all happening. Now we are "over there" to protect the oill from the Taliban and the terrorists. Oh, I thought it was becuase Saddam had WMDs??? Oh...or maybe we can just say, we're over there to spread freedom. "Our version" of it. Myabe Freedom to people in the middle east is what they already had? Maybe their version of freedom is waking up every morning, walking freely through the streets, setting up their morning market and selling hand-made necklaces? Hmmmmmm...still not free enough....They need American-type freedom stuff...like baseball teams, multi-cinema complexes, drive-thru Mcburgers, Huge plazas with nail salons and tanning parlors, mega Walmarts....

Marcusholm
09/03/2005, 05:58 AM
If this all bothers you this much--do something and get off your little soapbox. Let's see, you could go down and help, you could write a big check, or you could just move somewhere there are people with views like your's and many more trees---Canada maybe.

By the way--95% of the homeless in this country could support themselves and find a job and a place to live. This would involve work, time, and effort.
I suppose standing on the edge of the off-ramp with a sign is work. If I needed a job, I could find one by the end of the morning--so could they.

Lease-V-cross
09/03/2005, 06:09 AM
Actually,
I do my part. I volunteer and I donated to the Tsunami and 9/11 relief efforts.
No need to get personal and tell me to move to Canada.
If I do go, can I borrow your Ford Excursion or Hummer?

I guess you have no problem with your money being spent on useless things like costly bridges to nowhere.
You go right ahead and keep wearing those blinders, OK?

Marcusholm
09/03/2005, 06:26 AM
It's a Yukon and a 300, and if you need help moving I will help.

You are right on one thing, this all is happening for a reason. This is just another test for all of us. I'm sure the level of prayer has gone up, and more than likely by people who never have prayed before. This, in the whole skeem of things, is the bottom line. God has his plan for everyone. You must agree with that if what you say is true. That being said, how can you blame any one person or group of people for this.

When the whole story of history is told, these last few years will just be a sidenote. But, all this lack of faith will go on for much longer. So I believe it would be a good idea to get some perspective on all this. I know it is easier for you to blame than to accept, but .... Good luck anyway.

Lease-V-cross
09/03/2005, 06:51 AM
The people with the least material posessions have the most faith.
That is certain.

In this country, Money has replaced God.

I blame ALL politicians. Dems and Reps. I don't discriminate.

tomdietrying
09/03/2005, 07:52 AM
Why do we keep defending this incompetent government?

It's almost like the relative that screws up over and over and we still make excuses for him. Making excuses fro screw ups never works out in the end.

Give credit when things are done right, but also give credit when things are done wrong. Everyone always wants to step up and take credit when things are great, but when things are F-ed up no one steps up for their credit.

Peace.
Tom

WyrreJ
09/03/2005, 08:42 AM
The people with the least material posessions have the most faith.

In this country, Money has replaced God.

Money is now the opiate of the masses?

I think you will find that throughout history, those with the most direct control over their own destiny have always been the least pious. Nothing special about this country.