PDA

View Full Version : The Journey Of A Thousand Miles...

Ldub
08/31/2005, 05:58 PM
Since I had the A pillar cover off to mount the gauge pod, in anticipation of recieving a scan gauge from Tone, I thought it would be a good time to move the antenna wire for the remote door locks.
WHAT A DIFFERENCE...the range is now 2-3 times what it was before...Me Likey!!! :dance: :thumbup: :dance: :clap: Anyone who hasn't discovered this mod, get thee to the "how to" section & search "electrical" back a year.
You'll be glad you did, & It's WAY E-Z.
Kinda makes me wish I wasn't such a lazy a-- procrastinator. :rolleyes:

Ldub

Joe_Black
08/31/2005, 08:12 PM
Yeah, that's like one of the easiest and most effective mods. Took me about two years to get around to it! :laughg:

VehiX
09/01/2005, 09:53 AM
Wierd, I put a brand new battery in the key fob the day I did the alarm wire relocation and noticed absolutly NO change in remote distance AT ALL :confused:

Anita
09/01/2005, 10:21 AM
Werent there a few owners here who doubled up on batteries in their fob and found an increase in range?

Ldub
09/01/2005, 11:35 AM
Anita,
If I remember correctly, it was the same voltage, but higher amperage & slightly thicker battery(#2032). I have done that also & it helps, but not as much as the antenna relocation.
I think I saw that battery post when I was digging through the "knowlege base" for the antenna post.
Ldub
edit: oops, my bad, It was "how to's" not knowlege base, in the electrical area...search back 1 yr. & you'll find it.
Ldub

Joe_Black
09/01/2005, 11:50 AM
I think fob range varies unit-to-unit. For example, with both our VX's parked next to each other my fob will activate only my alarm while my wife's fob will activate both her's and mine. If I get closer to her's then my fob will activate her alarm, but her fob definitely has greater range and mine has the newer battery.

VehiX
09/01/2005, 12:51 PM
I think fob range varies unit-to-unit. For example, with both our VX's parked next to each other my fob will activate only my alarm while my wife's fob will activate both her's and mine. If I get closer to her's then my fob will activate her alarm, but her fob definitely has greater range and mine has the newer battery.

If this is true, that's scary to know that some one elses' remote can open up my VX?! I really don't like the thought of that AT ALL :rollr2:

Well, seeing as my range is very short no matter what I do and the fact that another VX'er (not that I 'think' that they would!) can open up MY VX with THIER remote, I think it's time for an after market alarm!

Gotta love Isuzu. Love the VX and all but that's just plain stupid! :rolleyes:

Anita
09/01/2005, 01:48 PM
Now I have never seen that happen, even when we had our meets in L.A. with 20 VX's and in Moab with our 20+. That's a first for me.

Joe_Black
09/01/2005, 02:11 PM
Don't panic! The second VX was purchased used and didn't come with any alarm fobs, so I used my spare that came with the first VX purchased dealer-new. The factory alarm system programs from the fob, and is even mentioned in the owner's manual they can be used for multiple vehicles. RTFM people! :p

The VX will automatically re-lock the door and re-arm the alarm if you don't interact with the vehicle within 30 seconds, so it's not a big deal for us. ;)

johnnyapollo
09/01/2005, 06:43 PM
Hey Joe,

I still have this fob for you - let me know if/when you're up here again and I'll hand it over.

-- John