PDA

View Full Version : Isuzu Policy

maxw
08/31/2005, 02:35 PM
As you know, I tried to speak with someone at Isuzu regarding developing a proactive approach to the many loyal VX drivers who have inherited the legacy of some design flaws such as windows etc. After 1 month, there was no reply, so I placed another call.
The Isuzu rep stated that there is no longer any Isuzu design flaws as the VX is no longer made. I pointed out however that a design flaw means that failure is inevitable and that even should this occur out of warranty what is Isuzu's philsophy to customer support? He stated that unless there was a recall on an item, Isuzu had no inclination to recognizing any problem. In the 18 months of his tenure at the company there had never been any good will support of a customer related issue, and that all out of warranty issues were in fact the responsibility of the owner.
I suggested that he worked for a company with a very poor company relations mentality which ran the risk of losing popular support ; especially from the VX community.
"That is company policy Sir" he replied....." Now if there are no warranty issues, I must go", he replied.
Thankyou Isuzu for undoubtedly the most myopic customer support policy in the car industry.
I suggest as a group we write a petition to Isuzu expressing our dismay and disappointment at their lack of professionalism.

Joe_Black
08/31/2005, 03:14 PM
We'll get no response from Isuzu America as they're basically dead-men walking. Once Isuzu returns to the US with a re-vamped product line they'll be even more distanced from "legacy" products. We're pretty much on our own as far as the US operation is concerned.

As enthusiasts of an Isuzu product our advantage for longevity is the inherit build quality of their products. Yes, we do have some design issues. But in the overall picture of the VehiCROSS they're all relatively minor, cosmetic even. As Isuzu is primarily a heavy-truck company, they lean very much to standardizing as many components as possible across their product lines. What does this mean for us? Vast interchange parts availability. With the exception of specific cosmetic parts we can source replacements from the Trooper, Rodeo, Axiom, Amigo and even the NPR medium-duty truck.

There will always be things like the cladding and hood insert, among other parts, that pose supply issues. But a few enterprising people will offer aftermarket replacements from time to time. Otherwise you have to be resourceful and creative. That's just the nature of owning any limited-production or rare vehicle.

As the owner of three Merkur XR4Ti cars you can be certain I don't tell the guy at the parts counter I need Merkur parts. Nope, I know what crosses from the Mustang SVO, Thunderbird TC and Ford's Motorsports catalog. It's the only way to keep the oddballs alive, and you've gotta learn to live the life or relegate yourself to driving something you'll see at every intersection.

Tone
08/31/2005, 03:29 PM
Isuzu could care less about it's enthusiasts. Several years ago 20+ owners, some from out of the country, set a meet at their headquarters. An exec or two was going to show up and let us at least see the prototype VX, VX02, VX4, and others but at the last minute said the vehicles were in a warehouse and could not be accessed. We went ahead and had the meet there, NO ONE from Isuzu showed up and as their parking garage is elevated, we were able to see the covered prototypes they told us were in a warehouse....

Y33TREKker
08/31/2005, 05:05 PM
;wtf;

That type of philosophy is why I would have debadged my VX if it hadn't already been done by the previous owner. If Isuzu does not want to back up such a high-profile product like the Vehicross, even when faced with obviously common design flaws, then they'll get no further credit from me for building it when some intrigued passerby (possible future Isuzu purchaser?) asks me what it is.

Sorry Isuzu, I only offer that kind of free advertisement to "companies that care." :p

Joe_Black
08/31/2005, 05:26 PM
;wtf;
they'll get no further credit from me for building it when some intrigued passerby (possible future Isuzu purchaser?) asks me what it is.

I can certainly understand that sentiment, but my personal disappointment is with Isuzu America. Yes, Isuzu the parent has some to do with the sad state of affairs of their operations here but without getting into the fine print much is due to the manipulations of General Motors. The relationship that Isuzu entered into with GM back in the 70's doomed them in the American market from the outset.

We in America get the poorest vehicular offerings on the planet, courtesy of taxes and restrictions designed to prop-up our failing domestic auto industry. If we had access and experience with what's available in other domestic markets Detroit would've filed bankruptcy long ago. Ironically, many of these vehicles are produced by the international divisions of our own sub-par car crafters who continually lose domestic market share and post continual quarterly losses.

However, as an international manufacturer Isuzu is really quite amazing with a rich history of innovations and trend-setting. Many are totally unaware of how imitated several Isuzu designs are in many mainstream vehicles, especially interior design and layout. When they get interested in something unique they usually do it rather than just mock-it up, which only recently has been attempted by US manufacturers beginning with Chrysler. They are also the producer of the worlds best diesel engines, which is one reason why their gas powerplants are built so well.

Personally I'm very happy knowing who built my VX and why, but the complete failure of this country's extension of that background merits a bit more understanding. If someone asked me about purchasing an Isuzu today, I'd encourage them just as much as I would have 20 years ago but not without explaining what a "real" Isuzu is and what the future may hold in regards to factory service.

Caveat emptor? Very much so. ;)

Y33TREKker
08/31/2005, 06:11 PM
I can certainly understand that sentiment...

We'll just call it my own private protest then. But I know how many stares and questions I personally get while driving the VX, so if other VX owners refused to divulge the VX makers name when asked, I just wonder how much of an effect it would/could really have? I mean, I don't know that I've ever seen or heard of anyone stopping the driver of a delivery box-truck, and asking about the manufacturer. ;)

Mantronix7
08/31/2005, 07:32 PM
Maybe Isuzu should reconsider after seeing what happened here to Honda. Anyone willing to try it on their VX?
:eek:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/page.arcview.php?clid=3&id=111458&usrsess=

Numba1goalie
08/31/2005, 10:07 PM
Maybe Isuzu should reconsider after seeing what happened here to Honda. Anyone willing to try it on their VX?
:eek:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/page.arcview.php?clid=3&id=111458&usrsess=

Sounds like a good idea. Would you mind if we start with your car first? j/k

Mantronix7
08/31/2005, 11:55 PM
Sounds like a good idea. Would you mind if we start with your car first? j/k

Since most members with VX's are in the States and I am not, you can be the first candidate. Can we have a poll on that?
LOL! :p