PDA

View Full Version : More Isuzu Crap

Narsus
08/31/2005, 12:56 PM
A little over a year ago, I took my VX into Isuzu to get 2 things done:
1. Hood Insert cracked down the middle (replaced)
2. Window problem (passenger and driver, both replaced)

Well, I bet you can guess where this is going, but here's the rest of the good news. I have 47K miles on my 2001 vehicross and I'm the original owner. I also just threw about $1200 into it (3 months ago) for a full tune-up and tires:

Hood insert is now peeling up in one corner - not covered by warranty, even though they botched the install. $380 + $94.00 for labor
Window - not covered, you know the drill. I'm about to go try the Moncha (or Tone, I can't remember) fix.
Cold Start - Grinding noise - unable to recreate. Happens every time I start it.
Master Flow sensor to fix start problems and low/high idle - $150 + $47 labor
Recommended Isuzu Air Filter (I have a K&N on it currently, and they can blow me... no pun intended.) - $25
Courtesy Isuzu's damn service number - 303-795-4087

Anyway, I don't know how I'm going to handle all of this BS, but I can tell you I'm not happy. This is what I'm thinking, but if anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them:

Window - The window, I can live with once I try the Moncha fix I learned of here. If they fix it, it'll just break anyway, so I might as well try a DIY solution. The only question I have is "How do I get the door panel off safely?"

Master Flow - The Master Flow Sensor seems exorbitant, but I couldn't find anything on that part in the forums. I may go to get a second opinion from a non-isuzu place that I trust.

Hood insert - I think I'm going to kick and scream about shoddy workmanship regarding the hood insert until they agree to fix it (note: I could probably just fix it with something that binds plastic to metal, but I want these people to be accountable for their crappy work)

Air Filter - No Warranty anyway, and K & N is about 10 times better quality than any factory air filter in my opinion. Screw 'em.

Cold Start/Grinding Noise - When I go to pick it up, I'll just show them the ridiculously loud noise.

Anyway, I'm posting all this here partially out of frustration, but also asking for any advice on how to get this stuff fixed as best I can, without blowing another $700 on my vehicle. How important is the master flow sensor? I've been trying to avoid the DIY approach due to lack of time, but is it finally time to take matters into my own hands and pretend like isuzu only exists as a drivetrain company?

Thanks in advance, and I love this site, even though I'm a bit of a lurker. Maybe I should send you guys some money someday :)

Narsus
08/31/2005, 01:23 PM
Just got off the phone with Courtesy Isuzu.

- No budging on the hood insert. They claim it's a design flaw.
- No budging on the window fix. They claim it's a design flaw.
- No budging on the Air Filter - They claim that the oil from the K&N air filter dripped into the mass air flow sensor (I misunderstood the correct name) and shorted some of the wires. They're not sure it will fix the problem, but they still recommend an Isuzu air filter and a replacement of the mass air flow sensor. This is what's causing the low idle problem (possibly).

That's about it. I'm going to get the oil changed and do the rest myself. Hope this helps someone.

transio
08/31/2005, 01:56 PM
Soooo.... design flaw makes it whose fault?

AlaskaVX
08/31/2005, 02:26 PM
Soooo.... design flaw makes it whose fault?
Yeah WTF?

psychos2
08/31/2005, 02:29 PM
is the check engine light on ? if the M.A.F. sensor is shorted the check engine light would be on.if too much oil is used on the k&n filter it can cause problems with the M.A.F. sensor. if the light is not on i would try cleaning the M.A.F. sensor. shawn

Tone
08/31/2005, 03:24 PM
Use brake cleaner instead of trying to clean the wires by hand - much safer and better. Remove the MAF from the intake tube to clean.

Low idle is usually caused by the idle control valve being stuck (it is located on the throttle body and held in place with 2 torx screws)

Raque Thomas
09/01/2005, 05:05 AM
I was under the impression that a first owner of a 2001 model has a 5yr/60,000 mile bumper tp bumper warranty? On your hood insert - it is bolted to the metal part of the hood, not glued. Did a nut back off? Just pull the insulation retainer pins and look for the bolt/nut in that corner. It's also posible that the bolt has come unglued from the back of the insert, in which case ou'll have to remove it and re-glue.

Moncha
09/01/2005, 07:13 AM
Straight from the website:

Per Isuzu
2000 - 2002 Models
Isuzu's 10-Year/120,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty
Isuzu's commitment to your satisfaction doesn't end when you leave the dealership. We're in this for the long haul. You may not know where you'll be 10 years or 120,000 miles from now, but you can be confident that we'll be there for you, no matter where you are. After all, our technicians drive Isuzu vehicles too.

3-Year/50,000-Mile Basic Factory Limited Warranty
The Isuzu vehicles' natural defenses extend to a Basic Factory Limited Warranty that is worthy of note. It lasts for 3 years or 50,000 miles with no deductible. Isuzu's robust powertrain coverage, teamed with this impressive protection, are man's best chance against the onset of worry warts and general gloom.

5-Year/60,000-Mile Roadside Assistance:
A most remarkable offering is Isuzu's 24-hour Roadside Assistance. A dead battery, a flat tire or the absence of fuel can all be remedied with a simple phone call. Over 12,500 facilities nationwide are available every day of the year for the first 5 years or 60,000 miles you own your vehicle. Just call the toll-free number 800-444-0303 and we're there ASAP.

6-Year/100,000-Mile Perforation From Corrosion Limited Warranty
Isuzu vehicles excel in a plethora of extreme conditions. Scouring salt air. Blistering desert heat. Corroding winter muck. No matter how abrasive the environment, you can feel confident your Isuzu vehicle will hold up. And to be sure, it's covered for 6 years or 100,000 miles against perforation from corrosion.

Protection Plan
The Protection Plan extended service contract provides peace of mind when the Basic Factory Limited Warranty expires, with low-cost coverage for up to 10 years or 120,000 miles.

1995 - 1999 MODELS

LIMITED NEW VEHICLE WARRANTY (BASIC)
WHAT IS COVERED

Except as otherwise indicated, the New Vehicle Limited Warranty (Basic) covers Isuzu vehicles to the date of delivery of the vehicle to the original retail purchaser or the date the vehicle is first put in use, whichever is earlier.
The air conditioning system installed in Isuzu vehicles as original equipment by Isuzu Motors Limited ("Manufacturer") or Distributor is covered for 36 months or 50,000 miles, whichever event occurs first, from the date of delivery of the vehicle to the original retail purchaser or the date the vehicle was first put in use, whichever is earlier.
POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY
The Isuzu Powertrain Limited Warranty is extended to the first owner and all subsequent owners of the vehicle for a period of 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever is earlier. There is no deductible charge for the Isuzu Powertrain Limited Warranty.
FEDERAL EMISSIONS WARRANTY
This warranty coverage is for a period of 2 years or 24,000 miles, whichever event occurs first. If a catalytic converter or an electronic emissions control module vehicle control or powertrain control or an on-board emissions diagnostic device is found to be defective under either of these warranties, those parts are covered by warranty for 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever event occurs first.
CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS WARRANTY
This warranty coverage is for a period of 3 years or 50,000 miles, whichever event occurs first. If a vehicle fails a Smog Check inspection, all necessary repairs and adjustments are to be made so as to ensure that the vehicle passes the inspection. This is the emission control system Performance Warranty.
If any emission related part on the vehicle is defective, the part is to be repaired or replaced. This is the short-term emission control system Defects Warranty.
Additionally, certain emission related parts are covered by warranty up to 7 years or 70,000 miles.
LIMITED WARRANTY COVERING PERFORATION FROM CORROSION
This warranty coverage is for 72 months or 100,000 miles, whichever event occurs first, from the date of delivery of the vehicle to the original retail purchaser or the date the vehicle is first put in use, whichever is earlier.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON ITEMS COVERED BY WARRANTIES
Towing Coverage/Isuzu Roadside Assistance Program
Warranty coverage for towing and the Isuzu Roadside Assistance Program is for the duration of the Powertrain Limited Warranty period (60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever event occurs first) when towing is required due to a defective part that is covered by the vehicle's warranty and/or by an existing service or recall campaign.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED
After the first 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever event occurs first, from the date of delivery to the original retail purchaser or the date the vehicle was first put into use, whichever is earlier, original equipment battery and seat upholstery are not covered after 12 months.
Normal noise (wind noise, groans, gear noise, rattles, squeaks), vibration, wear, tear or deterioration such as discoloration, fading or deformation is not covered.
Service Adjustment -- minor repairs not usually associated with the replacement of parts -- are not covered after the first 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first. This includes, but is not limited to wheel alignment, tire balancing, clutch adjustment, door and window adjustment, etc. (Refer to Service Policy & Procedures Manual, Section 7.2.)
Surface corrosion on other than body panel, other than perforation caused from defective materials or workmanship, is not covered after 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever event occurs first.
NOTE: State laws & regulations may supersede these guidelines.

Basically what the dealer is doing is denying warranty work but, still trying to get something out of you. Hence, the air filter at the least.. Surprized they didn't try the old "belts worn, need replaced", "oil needs changed", bla, bla, bla,

psychos2
09/01/2005, 10:39 AM
"Isuzu's commitment to your satisfaction doesn't end when you leave the dealership. We're in this for the long haul. You may not know where you'll be 10 years or 120,000 miles from now, but you can be confident that we'll be there for you, no matter where you are. After all, our technicians drive Isuzu vehicles too."

What a joke that is ! shawn

Ldub
09/01/2005, 11:49 AM
Shawn,
They must have figured out that saying "Isuzu's legendary service sucks" in their advertising, really would have had a negative impact on units sold. ;)
Ldub

Narsus
09/01/2005, 11:51 AM
By the way, the check engine light is NOT on. I'm going to pick it up right now, and I'm going to do my best not to spit on anyone :)

Ldub
09/01/2005, 11:53 AM
You DID say spit...right? :p

psychos2
09/01/2005, 03:15 PM
here is what it should have said,
"Isuzu's commitment to your satisfaction does end when you leave the dealership. We're in this for the money. You may not know where you'll be 10 years or 120,000 miles from now, but you can be confident that we'll be there laughing at you, no matter where you are. After all, our technicians drive Chevrolet's,because they now better than to by an Isuzu ."
shawn

Lease-V-cross
09/01/2005, 08:25 PM
I just recently took my VX to my dealership and they basically gave up. I was informed that the problem is most likely "the window itself". I asked did you compare it with the driver's window that does work? They said, "yes". Theyalso claimed that it's possible that the track inside the door was glued on from the last time it was fixed by a different dealer. What I hear? " We don't want to fix it, so they tell me to buy a new window."

I give up. In fact, I'm leasing this car, and I could care less anymore. I'm turning this car in next June, so all I can say, it was fun, a blast to drive and with the price of gas going up, I will definitely be looking at a more fuel-efficient ride.........Like a mountain bike!