PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please...

coachreed
04/01/2003, 06:36 PM
OK, I went for my FIRST test drive of a VX tonight... Do you care to hear my opinion? Truth or sugar coated? Well... my honest to goodness, true to life opinion about the VX is...
AWSOME!

I wasn't really sure what to expect when I showed up to the dealership to drive this thing. I am usually a skeptic and so I was figuring that everything I read on this site about what they are was just a VERY biased opinion of a little CULT. Well, I must say, I am very impressed with what I saw.

First off, this is a '00 Ironman version... are ALL Ironman editions white? I didn't expect that I'd really like it with the color combo, but I must say... looks much better in person than in pictures. White was not even CLOSE to an option in my mind. It has the 18" chrome wheels with NEW tires on it... which is a plus. There is no sign of ever having any body damage, which is another plus. I don't think it has been smoked in either... yet another PLUS. The only thing that I don't care much for (besides the big arse blind spot... ;eekb; ) is the 55K miles it has on it.

What is everyones opinion on price? This is a very clean Ironman Edition '00 VX. Interior is in GREAT condition... as is exterior. New tires and 55K miles. They asking price is $17,995.

I am in the position that I need to get rid of my current car or trade it in. My car is a '98 Trans Am WS6 convertible in GREAT condition. I looked at the NADA book that the dealer was looking at and saw that from their figures, my car is worth around $11K average trade. He is offering me $14,000... which is obviously lower than what I could probably sell it for, but then I have to mess with it.

I told the guy I would call him tomorrow and talk to him about it. I am very much ready to just do the deal, but I don't want to act hasty. Is their asking price too hight? I know the trade offer is fair if not somewhat generous, so that is not a concern if I choose to buy theirs. Its just the price they are asking. Whataya think?

Lemme know... thanks in advance.

Coach... aka Randy!

TrooperCROSS
04/01/2003, 06:49 PM
Coach,

I bought a 2000 Proton from a dealer in Feb of this year for just under $16k, had 41k miles.

You might be able to deal on the Ironman if you take the trade out of the equation, but like you said, then you have to mess with trying to sell on your own.

Overall, it doesn't sound too bad as is, but you can always try to do a little better. Check out wholesale value and blackbook value on the VX. It may come in handy when negotiating with a dealer.

Good luck, hope you get it!

grvcmike
04/01/2003, 07:06 PM
That price doesn't sound bad, I am getting ready to sell my silver 99 with 48k for 18,000. Not that i want to, but the one warning I have for you is that it DRINKS THE GAS LIKE A FISH! 11 city 15 hwy. It's no longer economical for me.

2K1 1K2
04/01/2003, 07:20 PM
hi. ran across this one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2409431810&category=6270

RalphDog
04/01/2003, 07:33 PM
Randy,

I purchased mine about a month ago, and based on the market that price seems about average - I would try 17k though. Personally, I decided I was going to shop all over the country in an effort to get exactly what I wanted. If you want to test drive the actual vehicle you are going to own however, I would buy that one. If you want to get the best price, in a certain color combo, with a certain amount of mileage I would buy from a place like carmax.com or autotrader.com. Just my two cents, but you can't go wrong with this car, I look out the window at mine every day and smile.

If it feels right do it and don't look back.

tomdietrying
04/01/2003, 08:50 PM
Coach,
There is a 2000 Dragon Green with less than 15,000 miles with new tires. Get this, the price is $17,995.

I drove it. I loved it. I held out for a 2001. A 2001 gives me another year of bumper to bumper warrenty. I guess I could have bought an extended warrenty. Anyhow, I ended up with a Ironman 2001 from Houston.

That 2000 Dragon Green is sharp. It's in Dallas at Carmax. Check out the picture at www.carmax.com The picture does not do it justice. The pic is a little yellow.

Carmax will ship it to a closer Carmax for $500. Might be cheaper to fly out and drive back. Anyhow, I hope this helps.
Tomdietrying

xdfarrx
04/01/2003, 09:42 PM
Preowned car market is crazy saturated. All the 0% financing. I would try and work em a bit....and listen to all the vx brothers and sisters out in vxinfoland, and vmagworld, as posted cause there is a solid deal out there for you somewhere. As for the blind spot. The short wheel base and the sixth sense that helps me/you/us backing up and getting a sense of what's behind helps with that. Mirror upgrades and camera kits for the super tech are available as well- good luck

AnalogVX
04/01/2003, 09:56 PM
I don't think that's a bad price. I bought my '99 Astral for 19,900 out the door with 36k miles. After all, don't we WANT our values to go up?

RichD

MRCross
04/01/2003, 11:24 PM
Coach,

Hey, I just purchased mine in March and I can't say enough about it to my friends. I paid $15,500for a 99, black, and all that I can add is don't settle. If you wan't a certain color or your looking for a certain amount of miles or year, be patient. Also try Autotrader and thebiglot.com

coachreed
04/02/2003, 02:35 AM
I appreciate the input guys... not that I depend on others to make my decision, but since I don't personally know the value of the VX, it helps. Anyway, I have never really settled on cars... at least not in the last 4-5 years. I originally wanted either the Proton Yellow or Silver and White was NOT even an option. After seeing the White Ironman though, I really do like it... makes it tough to turn my nose up at the thing. I have looked at a Proton Yellow one and actually like the white as much... have not seen a silver one in person but can only expect that it looks GREAT. I think though that I am going to call the dealer today and tell him that I will do the deal if he shows me another $1000 somewhere in the equation. Last night, he told me that he'd sweeten the deal by another $400 if I signed up then... that tells me that there is still more play in the whole thing. If he bites on it, I will be the next to own one... if not, I will be putting my car in the paper this week and will buy one after I sell my ride.

Again, thanks for the input.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

coachreed
04/02/2003, 02:45 AM
Oh, one more question since I know the dealer isn't probably gonna know the answer... what is the warranty once I buy the VX? I read in one thread here that the transfered warranty loses some of its time or mileage if sold to someone OUTSIDE of the original owners family... is this true? What will I have for bumper to bumper or drivetrain? My guess is that the TOD system could get EXPENSIVE if there ever was a problem with it. Lemme know... thanks again!

Coach!

Joe_Black
04/02/2003, 02:50 AM
Definitely check CarMax.com as you can search their inventory nationwide. Some family and friends have dealt with them and all have come away happy. They sell more from book value rather than assumed value, which is what it sounds like your dealer is doing. In the VX's case, the book value can work to your advantage. I got mine new from a dealer in Chicago last November, which meant a one-way flight and a 1300 mile drive for this Floridian. It was definitely a fun trip and I got to visit friends on the journey home. So don't let distance be a factor in getting EXACTLY what you want!

gruven
04/02/2003, 07:34 AM
Hi Coach,

I just picked up my '01 dragon from carmax almost a month ago.
8500 miles for $18,900 in soccermom condition. yeehooo!

Had it shipped in from a carmax in S. Carolina I believe for $150.00 which was deducted from my purchase price.

Did my carfax, followed suggestions from group, took it to my mechanic and have been non-stop smiles ever since!

I just wish I could have had service records from the previous owner, owners manual (which I ordered and they re-imbursed me for), and a less-zealous salesman who understood this machine. I don't blame him at all- just knew I was the one who had to check _everything_ out.

just beware- there's no going back!!!!;pr;

gruven

Navigator
04/02/2003, 10:26 AM
As they say, A bird in hand is worth two in the bush, Go for it!

dogue
04/02/2003, 12:07 PM
The Dealer or the bank/Credit Union should offer an extended warranty. I paid for an extended warranty through MPP and it has been great. It cost me $1100 and it will pay for anything (excluding wear items-brakes, tires etc.) bumper to bumper until 100k miles. They replaced my stereo ($700), paid for a rental car while waiting for fuel related parts ($125), Fuel pump ($400), Fuel regulator ($9), Idle Control Valve ($125). The trick was to have them do all of this at once and I had to pay $50 deductible. I still have 45k miles on my warranty. MPP states that it is transferable also, which I think the Isuzu Extended Warranty is not. I really wanted Yellow, and settled for Black because of the deal I got. I still would prefer to have a yellow one, but really love my ebony VX. I really prefer the red/black interior and I don't think that was available on Proton, so I guess it is a give and take.

SoTxVx
04/02/2003, 05:22 PM
Paid 13,995 for my '99 with 26k the beginning of this year. Found it through Autotrader.com. Had to fly across four states to get it. Did the carfax thing and was lucky that my brother in law happened to be in Miami when I located the VX there. He drove it and was prepared to buy it if I didn't. Very good value for the money. I can't imagine getting any more SUV, looks or smiles for the money. I have had very good luck with Isuzu Troopers over the last 10+ years. The VX appears to be part Trooper and for me that is a good thing.

If you don't mind the hassle of getting the kids in and out of the back seat and can tolerate the firm suspension, you'll like it.

MTCW

John

coachreed
04/02/2003, 06:03 PM
Well, all of your posts are good information... none of which is new to me. The only thing I had a hard time deciding was what the VX is really worth... I guess whatever someone will pay for it.

I called the dealer back today and told him I was happy with their offer on my car for trade, but I could get a VX with half the miles for the same money. I told him that he could either show me another $1000 on the deal or I would sell my car and MAYBE come talk to him later. He ho-hummed for a couple seconds and then asked when I wanted to come in. I went in and filled out the financial paperwork. I have to remove ALL of my audio/video system from my car over the next couple nights, and then either Friday after work, or Saturday morning, I will be a proud owner of one '00 Ironman Edition VX!

I look forward to saying its mine... not bad for a whopping $3000 difference in price. I'm happy with that and so I guess that is all that matters. Yehaaaw!

Coach... aka Randy!

AnalogVX
04/02/2003, 09:11 PM
Congratulations on your purchase. I'm glad everything worked out for you. You will have alot of fun with that truck. Planning on doing any off-roading? Maybe Moab? ;)

RichD

coachreed
04/03/2003, 05:34 AM
Yeah I plan on doing LOTS of off-roading... but unfortunately, MOAB this may is outta the question. I'm already taking May 23 to June 8 off to take my son to Sarasota for part of his summer break. I look forward to seeing how capable the VX is off road. I know everyone here has said it is VERY capable, but I just can't wait to see it myself. Anyway, looking forward to getting my hands on it on Friday.

TTYL!

Coach!