PDA

View Full Version : Issues with my AC

johnnyapollo
08/27/2005, 03:16 PM
The Proton's AC is starting to act unusual -

At start-up in the morning, the AC comes on without an issue. If I run it for a while - kill the motor to go into a store or someplace, when I come out the AC blows hot. Once I get her up to speed it cools down a bit.

I'm noticing that my idle is dropping when the motor is hot - so I'm thinking it's a faulty compressor. It doesn't make sense to me that a lack of coolant would cause what I've described, but whated some opinions. I'm thinking that it could be the following:
Fautly compressor (this would explain the idle problem if there's addiitonal drag)Lack of coolant (doesn't seem likely as it cools at higher RPMs)Fauty sensor(s) (dunno about this one but threw it in as a consideration).Some other electrical problem that isn't related - I had some idle issues but cleaning the EGR, rpelacing the PCV and resetting seemed to solve it, for the most part - I think the AC issue is a different problem.
Opinions please.

-- Best, John

dkmiller68
08/27/2005, 06:12 PM
Wish I had the answer. All I can think of checking is the electric fan on the radiator.

Corey872
08/28/2005, 06:55 AM
Low "coolant" (assume we are talking freon here) can cause what you describe. It will run fine in the morning because everything is already relatively cool, so if the system is limited in capacity (by low freon) it's not a big deal. Once you drive and park it for a while, the engine bay gets hot...maybe sun is now up, so the interior gets hot, too. Now the limited capacity comes into play and you really need to get the air moving over the condensor to get it cool.

Assuming you don't hear any grinding or weird noises, I would go about it like this (order from cheapest to most expensive)

1) Examine the compressor (and surrounding area), ac hoses, hard piping, condensor, etc. Look for any place that seems to have accumulated a layer of oily dirt. Also look around the compressor in a radial line extending out from the pulley. If there is a leak, it will leak oil along with the freon. The freon will come out as a gas, but the oil will stay behind and attract a layer of dirt. This is homebrew leak detection. If the front seal on the compressor is bad the leaking oil will hit the pulley and be flung onto the surfaces radially around the compressor.

2) Start the engine, fire up the AC and make sure the magnetic clutch on the magnetic clutch on the compressor kicks in, and the electric fan on the condensor (in front of the radiator) kicks in. (If the freon is really low, these may not kick in on account of the low pressure cut off switch. May have to proceed to step 3 and add some freon to make them both work)

3) Luckily, we have R134a freon systems, so you can buy a gauge and freon at any local parts store without a license. You can probably pick up a kit for around $40. It will have directions, but basically, it's about like airing up a tire....get the AC running, check pressure, if it's below the range they specify, squirt in some freon, look at pressure, squirt more as needed, then cap the system back up.

4) If you find you have adequate freon, and it still isn't cooling, or there is oil slung all over the place, then it is probably time to call in the big guns.

HTH - stay cool!

Corey

johnnyapollo
08/28/2005, 03:21 PM
Hey Corey,

Thanks for the advice. I bought a kit at Advance Auto Parts for $33. Unfortunately, after hooking up the meter, the system is reading "fine" as far as pressure goes (the "blue" zone). Next step is to take it in I guess. At least I can return the kit (I didn't puncture any of the cans nor did I open up any of the packages other than the box).

-- John

Joe_Black
08/28/2005, 04:59 PM
I'm with Don on checking the condenser's electric fan. I remember this happening when visiting with you, but forgot to pursue it further by checking fan operation at extended idle and also looking at the fan fuse/relay. Not an uncommon thing to happen, even the fan's connectors can get loose or pinched. The fact it cools fine while moving is a good indicator this may be the problem. Had this happen on one of the Merkurs, easy fix once you confirm.

johnnyapollo
08/29/2005, 05:34 AM
The fan sounds right. I checked the fuses - no issues there - I'm not sure if there's a good way to check the relays. I'll climb under it next.

-- John

Joe_Black
08/29/2005, 05:44 AM
I'm not specifically familiar with the fan's relay, but an easy check is to "borrow" an identical relay from another system you can temporarily disable while you check the fan. The best time to do the check is after a drive where the engine is good and hot, so the fan will definitely come on while sitting with the A/C running.

Narsus
08/30/2005, 02:22 PM
Not that this'll help any, but I have identical symptoms during this super-hot Colorado summer. I haven't delved into it yet, but it cools down at higher RPM's. I'm going to take it in next month, and I'll let you know what they find.

Joe_Black
08/30/2005, 04:33 PM
I haven't delved into it yet, but it cools down at higher RPM's.

Are the higher RPM's while stationary? If so, that's your engine fan moving air that the condenser fan isn't.

Hotsauce
08/30/2005, 08:28 PM
You can see the AC fan through the grill opening and determine if its coming on. Its on the passenger side of the AC condenser.

John C.

volume311
05/24/2011, 12:07 PM
Old bump. Figure this out perhaps? I'm having this issue (well I've had it for awhile but finally got around to it). The condenser fan doesn't come on.
Hooked the fan staright to the battery and it spins up. Relay is fine, the fuses are good.

Checked the connection that goes to the fan, and am getting no voltage out of it when idling, hot with the AC on full blast.

jmayer40
05/24/2011, 04:06 PM
When all else fails check the VX service manual.. some nice pointers no one has mentioned earlier. Like, Thermo meter unit faulty...,Faulty Engine Coolant temperature
sensor,Faulty Throttle Position sensor,Open or shorted Throttle Position
sensor circuit, or Damaged cylinder head gasket...

johnnyapollo
05/25/2011, 06:06 AM
That was 2005 - it stopped happening and hasn't since. I didn't do anything at all to it - just some weirdness I think...

-- John