PDA

View Full Version : Update on the Ironman

Corey872
08/25/2005, 04:25 PM
Haven't posted in a while, but thought I'd take a few seconds to update the saga. For those just joining the thread:

Got a decent deal on a 99 Ironman and picked it up at the end of July. Take if for a road trip the next week and find it is guzzling oil to the tune of about 1qt every 350 miles of interstate travel. Immediately called the dealer back and he says to drive it for another week and document the oil use. I did that and it went through another quart in ~400 miles of mixed (city/highway) driving.

Took it out to them today to look over. They reportedly called Isuzu and Isuzu indicated that "some of these engines have been known to use oil". The dealer said that "Isuzu recommends using 20W50 oil in the summer and 10W40 oil in the winter"

So the dealer said that they changed the oil to 20W50 and recommended another week of driving to chart the consumption. They also said that they would work with me to get the problem resolved even if I go out of the warranty terms, since it was reported during the warranty.

So, all-in-all, I guess that is good news. I really think the 20W50 oil is a bandaid fix - if it even works at all. But I should know within another week of driving.

Fingers Crossed!
Corey

mbeach
08/25/2005, 05:20 PM
It sounds like you've got a good dealer on hand.

They were correct, oil consumption was an issue in the earlier (and some later) engines, however I was told to use Synthetic 0W30 oil to prevent it.

Someone (Bob? Joe Black?) posted an excellent write-up on the oil pumping problem a few months ago.

Doc4h
08/25/2005, 05:47 PM
That's funny I was just about to post that my VX, just as I hit 60,000 miles started to consume what looks like 1 quart per 1000 miles. I am still keeping track of it to get some real numbers. Before the 60,000 mile make it was more like 1 quart per 3000 miles.

thebear54
08/25/2005, 06:09 PM
My '99 IronMan just turned 58K and uses not one drop of oil. I have used Mobil 1 synthectic all along and so did the previous owner.
I would take it back to the Dealer to see what can be done...it's just not normal for a 6 cylinder engine to burn that much(or any) oil.
Just my two cents...John

VCrossfan
08/25/2005, 06:53 PM
---->"They also said that they would work with me to get the problem resolved even if I go out of the warranty terms, since it was reported during the warranty."<----

I would get the above in writing....Soon...

Numba1goalie
08/26/2005, 04:01 AM
I think they are just asking you to go out of your way to put different oils in during different seasons. You should not have to worry about whih weight oil and such to put in. One oil, one type, period!

Moncha
08/26/2005, 06:26 AM
You are correct in thinking the bandaid thing.. This is an old way of keeping blow by oil in the engine.. Remember the STP days... Make it thicker and it won't use as much..
Make sure to get that statement in writing like Vcrossfan suggested.

majork
08/27/2005, 07:58 AM
I believe my oil consumption started earlier than 60K.....it now has 148K miles
(I used Mobil 1 since the beginning and varying the viscosity did not seem to help much)

The rate of oil consumption has not varied much over time but the engine keeps on chugging and I am scrupulous about maintaining the correct oil level

I assume the oil is being consumed completely without much buildup since the engine seems to be maintaining good power levels and is relatively smooth...however I plan on getting a complete engine flush soon.

Since the concensus is that the cause is an engine defect...you end up living with the problem as opposed to springing $4000 for a newer engine...

Like a lot of corporate ripoffs; the company was probably aware of the defect prior to full marketing, but played the odds to keep their profit margin higher...hence the problem with non-cooperative Isuzu reps

I will probably keep driving it this way until the engine seriously breaks or the available remanned engines get a lot cheaper