PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking about getting a VX. What exactly are the problems?

BATMANs
08/25/2005, 01:50 PM
As u can see from my car below, I'm no stranger to unique rides with problems.

I'm looking for a second vehicle that is a little more practical.

Here are my immediate list:

Acura CL Type-S (they have tranny problems)

SVX (tranny problems)

VX (I just heard about the engine going out).

Can someone give me the low down on the VX? What exactly would I be getting myself into if I were to buy own one?

Thanks in advance.

AlaskaVX
08/25/2005, 04:02 PM
expensive repairs but a sound vehicle "Isuzu is proud of their parts"

moon buggy
08/25/2005, 04:26 PM
Ok first off..
...do a search under problems, you'll find plenty of stuff [discussion] come up,
.. do a search on Buyers tips I answered most of my own original ?s I had on the JDM version of the VX that have been imported in to Australia [<20]..but there are differences
... as a past owner of 2 SVX, one of which the gearbox had to be replaced...the TOD gearbox, 4WD system seems much less of an issue..this was certainly in the back of my mind as the SVX box rebuild cost me ~$2.5K US to sort, altho TOD on the JDM model enables rwd as an option, whereas TOD US version stays in 4wd...but looking at the tire/wheel combos that several of the US folks run, TOD appears to handle things fine...heat was a major issue with the SVX, do a search on "coolers' here to see what the serious off roaders have done..similarly with some who've fitted Superchargers, to see how TOD handled it...
...SVX ..dirty window guides causing glass to scratch... :mad: , VX has some issues with the tracks/guides alignment causing binding..fixable 'do the search' following all the tips I've sorted my Vx window..
...engine life ..for the 3.5L, search again, I'll you'll find plenty there..biggest thing check your oil reguarly ..like every fuel fill up..there's heaps on this, I'll let the experts here speak thru their threads.
...fuel efficiency [remember its 3.5L V6] , body parts/panel availblility [for new], in the US some Isuzu servicing /support an issue has been discussed
...but hey ...lots of eye appeal, looks like its an 05 model even tho they started in Japan in 97,good performance, drives better than most 4wds, excellent 4wd credentials, recaros [and leather in US], climate control, poor rear visibilty [but fixable with rear camera, but side mirrors are a good size/heated], limited production run...
...pick a topic [on things you want to know more on or suspect and search away]

Good Luck

mbeach
08/25/2005, 05:23 PM
That's a beautiful FD, I hope that you're keeping it.

The happiest VX owners seem to be those who take full advantage of the VX's off-road prowess -your list of cars (including the no-no SVX) seem to be very road oriented. Are you sure that you want/need/love the VX enough to forgive its shortcomings?

dkmiller68
08/25/2005, 05:37 PM
no problems, just opportunities.

Soulpower
08/25/2005, 07:44 PM
The biggest problems, since you're "...looking for a second vehicle that is a little more practical." is gonna be;
1. The VX refuses to be the "second" vehicle. It insists on being the "First" always, just ask my nissan maxima with spider webs all over it.
2. The VX is not, in the least bit " a little more practical". It guzzes gas, its got annoying little problems like stuck windows, interesting noises every once in while, and sometimes, just sometimes, the CD changer likes to hold on to your favorite CDs...you know, for amusement.

The worst problem about the VX is all the looks of envy (or disgust) you get from people. I cant get even a single person to be interested in me, as a person, and not the car i drive. Plus, after a while, you'll hate your VX being looked at as a piece of meat, i mean...a piece of metal. I wish people would see it for what it really is; a super model with a bitchy attitude.

Your biggest problem (yeh, i know that's not the question) is that you're wasting time on research...JUST GET IT!!! You wont regret it!

99VX4x4
08/25/2005, 09:10 PM
Stay away from the acura CL i actually sold mine to buy the VX because my 2nd transmission was going and i knew people who were on their 5th trannys

nocturnalVX
08/26/2005, 01:10 AM
[QUOTE=mbeach]That's a beautiful FD, I hope that you're keeping it.

What's an FD?

BATMANs
08/26/2005, 06:39 AM
An FD is this: http://www.illstreet.com/gallery/batman

Yeah, I'm keeping the FD (which has the world's undisputed record in mileage at 250k~), but I am looking for something a little more practical in terms of luggage and passenger capacity.

I like the VX since it's unique and rare, just like the SVX.

Rooster
08/26/2005, 07:54 AM
FWIW, I have 01 vx that has given me narry a problem. Knock on wood.

They are great vehicles and like all others, you'll have a few issues.

nocturnalVX
08/26/2005, 11:42 AM
An FD is this: http://www.illstreet.com/gallery/batman
I still don't know what an FD is (and I even "Googled" it too). It looks like a Mazda RX-7.

transio
08/26/2005, 12:00 PM
I'll trade mine for your RX !!! :p

MZ-N10
08/27/2005, 12:35 PM
I still don't know what an FD is (and I even "Googled" it too). It looks like a Mazda RX-7.

a fd is a rx7 its just the 3rd generation chassis code.

the engine problems seems to happen at around 60k. cylinder1 just fails, i dont think anyone knows exaclty why but some say its from not getting enough oil, so watch out for oil lvls. theres a few other smaller problems, cd changer likes to eat cds, windows dont close, rubber seal around the headlight falls off, some have problems wiht leaky suspension.

if ur lookin for a pratical car then the vx really isnt a good chioce, the "trunk" is realyl small, bigger people have problems gettin into teh back seat. pretty crappy milage (i get about 18 combined).

btw i love ur fd