PDA

View Full Version : Another headlight cover fix

hullraiser
08/21/2005, 06:39 PM
I ordered new headlight covers from Autozone, but I didn't like them, so I decided to try to polish my covers. I have read the suggestions here on this site, but I am lazy and hand sanding didn't sound like fun in 90 degree heat.
I purchased the new PowerBall made by Mother, which is available at Pep Boys, Checker Auto and a lot of other places. I also purchased some very fine rubbing compound. I hooked the PowerBall to my cordless drill, turned it on slowly and put it in the can of rubbing compound to coat it then started polishing the light covers on my Geo Metro (my good gas mileage work car). I was so pleased with how well it was working that I didn't finish the Metro and started on the VX.
It was almost as if it had been designed by a VX owner, it polished great and the shape of the headlight cover didn't even slow it down.
There are some scratches that wouldn't come out, but it is much clearer, it doesn't look like new, but it looks great!
I used some Mother's Plastic Polish afterward which helped hide some old scratches and cleared it up even more. If you are looking for a quick fix----give it a try. Hullraiser

TEN36VX
11/04/2005, 05:47 PM
Just did the headlight buff out with the Powerball today... Awesome!

I used only Meguiar's PlastX and it took 15 minutes per light. Remarkable improvement after five minutes, even better after ten, and the last five I just worked on the worst parts.

I drove over the Hwy 50 summit for work last winter so they were pretty chewed up from the sand. And 6 years of living outside had yellowed 'em up pretty bad. Now they are all clear. Not all of the harder scratches came out so they aren't perfect but they look only a year or two old.

I highly endorse this method!

Tone
11/04/2005, 06:43 PM
Lisa and I found a new product at SEMA for taking care of this problem WITHOUT using power tools or a lot of muscle AND it imbeds UV protectant in the plastic to slow this from happening again. We'll take pictures of the process this weekend and post the results but the demo was incredible. Cost is reasonable (less than a powerball and polish) and takes maybe 10 minutes a lens at most.

LukeVX
11/07/2005, 06:37 AM
Yes, Please post!

VehiX
11/07/2005, 08:32 AM
Tone -

I'm looking forward to the details as my passenger side is hazing like crazy now and starting to look real ugly :(

Tone
11/07/2005, 09:03 AM
Still recovering from SEMA but we are planning to do it tonite and will take pics.

Raque Thomas
11/07/2005, 07:30 PM
we are planning to do it tonite and will take pics.

Sounds X-rated - sure you want to post THOSE pictures here?? ;) ;)

Ldub
11/07/2005, 07:50 PM
in my best Beavis voice: yeah, heh heh, they're gonna DO IT, heh heh heh...

Tone
11/08/2005, 06:06 AM
We didn't get to do it last nite - well we did but not the headlights...gonna have to be next weekend.

VX crazy
11/08/2005, 06:47 AM
:clap:

TEN36VX
11/10/2005, 12:27 AM
So whats this stuff called?

Rooster
11/27/2005, 06:02 PM
You can order headlight covers from Autozone for the VX..?

Also, sounds like a plan on the headlights for mine. They seem pretty fine, but a little foggy. Pale in comparison to the the new HID light I have in the bumper now...

Tone
11/27/2005, 08:02 PM
Sorry, can't get teh GF to bring the stuff over with her VX. Will try to get it this week.

SkidPlate
10/02/2006, 08:50 PM
Lisa and I found a new product at SEMA for taking care of this problem WITHOUT using power tools or a lot of muscle AND it imbeds UV protectant in the plastic to slow this from happening again. We'll take pictures of the process this weekend and post the results but the demo was incredible. Cost is reasonable (less than a powerball and polish) and takes maybe 10 minutes a lens at most.

Hey Tone- I may have missed the post, but what was the outcome of this new product? And who makes it?

My headlights need an overhaul.. Thanks.

Ascinder
02/23/2007, 05:48 PM
Did this stuff ever work out? What was it called? I'm looking at headlight covers over at Summit, but if this stuff works that great, tell us all where to get some ;)

VXNIT
02/24/2007, 08:24 AM
Hullraiser, what was wrong with covers? Were they the tinted ones by GT, post a pic on the VX or just of the covers. Very curious what they look like. I have GT rears in dark smoke and like them quite a bit, may go for the fronts. My headlights are just pealing slightly, my first pair when bought it new were pealing bad and made dealership replace as buy condition as well as rim replacement. thanks

PHO2GR4
02/24/2007, 09:26 AM
Hey Tone,

If you read this, I'm also chiming in to hear about the mystery product you mentioned that worked so well in polishing the headlight covers.

Thanks!

PHO2GR4
05/01/2007, 09:43 AM
Just my bi-monthly ::bump:: post.

Tone?

CoastieCosta567
05/01/2007, 03:48 PM
when i first got my VX it was yellowish and faded, got my brother to them foe me at the body shop he works for and hwta he did was sand them, polish them, and then he clear coat three layers on top of the cover and now its super clear and works perfect, at this point they are still looking like if the lenses where polished yesterday.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Picture_038.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Picture_038.jpg)

VCrossfan
05/01/2007, 05:31 PM
WOW,,,Costie hat's off to your brother, nice work ! !