PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust help.

Doc4h
08/18/2005, 06:57 AM
I need help I have just been told that all my exhaust piping from my CATs back needs to be replaced. Does any one know of anyone making these parts or is it something that needs to be custom made? Any and all info would be great thanks.

VehiX
08/18/2005, 07:21 AM
Watch out, I had the stock right bank Y pipe replaced under warranty about a year or so ago. Parts/labor total on the warranty reciept came to $847!!! :rollb2:

I had this "jar of change sounding rattle" that was driving me nuts. Took it to the dealer and they said for what ever reason, that section of the exhuast (section of pipe coming off the right header leading all the way back to the muffler where it meets up with the left bank. It's the pipe with the TOD label on it just below the passenger seat). Good thing it was under warranty at the time! Bad thing is now, a little over a year later, it's making that d@mn noise again and I'm out of warranty on the VX and the parts they installed! It sounded to me like a piece of the O2 sensor had broken off (no codes thrown however). Either that, or SOMETHING was indside the exhaust and would rattle pretty loud (like a jar of change). I have no idea why this happened or what was up with the exhaust to warrent replacing that entire section with the o2.

Anyone know why this happened to me and why it's hapening again a little over a year later with brand new parts?

Bottom line, as far as replacing the exhaust, the dealer wants your right arm and left leg to replace it! Either that or I got RIPPED OFF big time :(

Moncha
08/18/2005, 07:22 AM
Why are they telling this.. Holes, rust, collapse?? Is your exaust syatem stock? You can order the pipes from a dealer to replace the stock. While you are at the dealer, check with them regarding the exaust warranty, most likely you are out of warranty for the pipes (2yrs-24k miles) themselves but if the CATs (8yrs- 80k miles) are involved, they may help.. Out side of that, this could be your chance to play with the system and get the sound or performance you want...

Reg Hinnant
08/19/2005, 07:27 AM
Vehix,
The jar of change noise most people have had was the heat shields that are clamped around the exhaust pipes in several areas. Sometimes just bending them will stop the rattle & sometimes they are loose/broken.

AnalogVX
08/22/2005, 10:59 PM
Vehix,
The jar of change noise most people have had was the heat shields that are clamped around the exhaust pipes in several areas. Sometimes just bending them will stop the rattle & sometimes they are loose/broken.
Yea, the cheap OEM clamps rust through. I just replaced my clamps and all is well.

mbeach
08/23/2005, 07:23 AM
I just ripped off those "TOD" heat shields last weekend. The clamps had rusted through (50k miles).

There were remnants of some sort of fiber 'packing' between the pipe and shields. I assume this is also for heat shielding and sound deadening. If this fiber is gone, I don't think that simply replacing clamps is going to fix the rattle for long.

If you do remove the shields and you are worried about the excessive heat near the TOD unit, you can purchase an aftermarket heatshielding wrap (blanket or tape type) to replace the failed factory exhaust shielding.

PDOGG23
10/07/2005, 09:39 AM
I have that same "Jar of change Rattling Noise" that has been discussed above... I have also narrowed it down to the heat shield which says TOD. Has anyone pulled this off and then had problems with the TOD overheating or anything like that? I can't believe that the exhaust rusts like that after 48,000 miles. For as much workmanship that went into the design of this vehicle, they sure didnt' pay much attention to anything UNDERNEATH it.. It seems as though EVERYTHING is rusting under there.

Did anyone get their VX undercoated when they bought it? The dealer offered this to me for a ridiculous price and I chose not to do it.. I'm starting to think I made a bad choice..