PDA

View Full Version : Towing a Vehicle?

Numba1goalie
08/17/2005, 01:20 AM
Ok, so I know the towing limit is suggested at 5,000 lbs. but I was curious to know if anyone has ever towed a car, or jeep in this matter, anywhere from 10 miles to 200 miles with their VX?

I have a 1993 Jeep Wrangler that I have been working on for a while and it is now in the state where it would just be dumb to drive it on the road by how built it is. So I want to trailer it, or maybe even just put it on one of those towing rigs which the front two tires are connected and the rears just roll.

The VX is the closest vehicle I have that is able to tow anything so lemme know with whatever comments or suggestions or experience you have. Thanks!

dkmiller68
08/17/2005, 04:40 AM
I towed a jeep 1500 miles last summer. Check photo in my gallery. I added a tranny fluid cooler for added insurance (approx $50 ebay). There are several sizes and I bought one of the smaller ones. Installation was easy. Trailer towed easy (trailer weights 1200 lbs...jeep was 2200 lbs. total weight max for this trailer is 3500 lbs...so I was 100 lbs short of full load). Putting 10% of total weight on trailer toungue, it was the same as adding 350 pounds to VX. So, adding the human weight to the toungue weight, you want to stay below our rated load...what is that about 650 lbs????
Mileage suffered.
I didn't install a tranny fluid temp gauge but did monitor temp by feeling shifter shaft, and, it did get hot about 65 mph on hot days (then I would slow down).

Triathlete
08/17/2005, 08:18 AM
And Spazz trailered Swordies VX with his VX. Pics in his gallery also.

Joe_Black
08/17/2005, 08:50 AM
I trailer my 3000 lb. rally car on an 1800 lb trailer with no problems. Would love to have a 14' aluminum low-deck trailer instead to make loading/unloading easier, but the current combo with the VX gets the job done. Just add the total weight up sensibly and use good judgement.

Maugan_VX
08/17/2005, 09:16 AM
make sure your brakes are in good shape!

PeteVX
08/17/2005, 05:38 PM
I tow a 23 ft boat on a dual axle trailer all the time, think the weight is around 4,000 to 4,200 lbs, it tows no problem but does bounce the VX around a little because of the short wheelbase. The last couple of weeks i've had a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder loaner while the VX is in the shop, the longer wheelbase pathfinder is a lot smoother for towing but the VX handles it pretty well all things considered.

Pete

dkmiller68
08/17/2005, 06:14 PM
oh yeah...it has been said that trailer brakes are a good idea due to the VXs short wheel base (could jack knife if hard braking while in a turn ouch).

Bulldoggie
08/17/2005, 09:31 PM
BRAKES! a golf cart could pull a boat trailer on level ground, but stopping on a grade???? I wore out a set of brakes on my one ton truck "towing ?" a boat down a steeply graded road. (Made by a CAT). If your load outweighs you, you need trailer brakes.

Numba1goalie
08/17/2005, 09:44 PM
wow, thanks for all the great info. Im not positive how much my jeep weights but I figure i could take a trip to the dumps and pay to weight the rig.

I have alo been on the look for a trailer, but I figured I have to keep it light. Do any of you have any pictures of your trailers you used so I can get a good idea of what size to look for?

That tranny cooler is a good idea, I will deffinatly look into it.

Here is a pic of what the jeep and what it looks like now. It pretty heavy with all that steel and the Line-X body and tub!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/numba1goalie/jeep12.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/numba1goalie/jeep10.jpg

Thanks again for all the help and experience!

Joe_Black
08/18/2005, 04:15 AM
You'll not find a more perfect car trailer for the VX than this: Featherlite Model 3110 14' Car Trailer. (http://www.fthr.com/trailers/model_template.cfm?cat=car&ModelID=26&styleName=Bumper%20Pull&lqcheck=Open%20Standard%20Aluminum)

http://www.fthr.com/trailerimages/3110/3110-curbside.jpg

Featherlite is a well known manufacturer and I can't say enough good things about their build quality and service.

Todd Adams
08/18/2005, 07:51 AM
Scary stuff guys. IMO the wheelbase of the VX is not long enough to tow another rig especially a 3500# Jeep on a trailer. Our stripped down comp YJ weighs 3290# with the trailer it is well over 5000#. You might get away with it for a while if you are careful and keep the speed down but it is a risk. Take it from someone that knows about rolling a rig and trailer on the highway. One good gust of wind and it becomes uncontrollable. Just my $.02 worth. Yea I know it has been done but…
Todd

Numba1goalie
08/18/2005, 01:12 PM
Wow, that feather lite trailer for the 14'er is $4700! I guess I would have to save up for that!

Any pics of the roll over?

Joe_Black
08/18/2005, 02:30 PM
Scary stuff guys. IMO the wheelbase of the VX is not long enough to tow another rig especially a 3500# Jeep on a trailer. Our stripped down comp YJ weighs 3290# with the trailer it is well over 5000#. You might get away with it for a while if you are careful and keep the speed down but it is a risk. Take it from someone that knows about rolling a rig and trailer on the highway. One good gust of wind and it becomes uncontrollable. Just my $.02 worth. Yea I know it has been done but…
Todd
Towing by it's very nature is hazardous, especially for those just gaining experience. But, the short wheelbase of the VX can be more of a benefit than a detriment as it offers greater maneuverability and an overall greater compactness than a standard truck or SUV. Horror stories about short wheelbase vehicles being unstable are just that... stories. The SWB vehicle as a whole is much maligned by "full-size" drivers as they get into trouble much faster than they can handle due the lack of experience with the more nimble SWB characteristics. Plus you're generally guaranteed a rough ride opposed to a longer wheelbase.

Before getting my first VX I drove a '93 Trooper RS which has essentially the same chassis as the VX and, of course, the same wheelbase. I regularly towed 16' and 20' equipment trailers in addition to long and heavy trailerable sailboats. As long as you take the time and diligence to learn the differences, you'll come to find how much more superior a SWB vehicle is for general light towing. It's not a SuperDuty or big rig, just a great and versatile vehicle.

Wow, that feather lite trailer for the 14'er is $4700! I guess I would have to save up for that!
Yeah, you pay a bit for those new but you definitely get what you pay for in a trailer or any other equipment for that matter. Featherlites can be found used for good prices, but you have to be patient and may need to travel to get exactly what you want. There are other good manufacturers out there as well that make the same style trailer, just be sure to get some owner feedback when looking to purchase.

Todd Adams
08/18/2005, 10:44 PM
Towing by it's very nature is hazardous, especially for those just gaining experience. But, the short wheelbase of the VX can be more of a benefit than a detriment as it offers greater maneuverability and an overall greater compactness than a standard truck or SUV. Horror stories about short wheelbase vehicles being unstable are just that... stories. The SWB vehicle as a whole is much maligned by "full-size" drivers as they get into trouble much faster than they can handle due the lack of experience with the more nimble SWB characteristics. Plus you're generally guaranteed a rough ride opposed to a longer wheelbase.

Before getting my first VX I drove a '93 Trooper RS which has essentially the same chassis as the VX and, of course, the same wheelbase. I regularly towed 16' and 20' equipment trailers in addition to long and heavy trailerable sailboats. As long as you take the time and diligence to learn the differences, you'll come to find how much more superior a SWB vehicle is for general light towing. It's not a SuperDuty or big rig, just a great and versatile vehicle.

Joe I could not disagree more. Having the experience of driving big rigs to short wheel based vehicles towing I say you are dead wrong and this type of advice is irresponsible. Any time you exceed the weight of the tow vehicle by the towed vehicle with a ball hitch you are asking for an accident. Short wheel base vehicles of any make are never recommended by the manufacture for towing.
From the VehiCross Owners Manual “We do not recommend using this car for trailer towing purpose” and where on earth did the 5000# tow rating come from?

Joe_Black
08/19/2005, 06:08 AM
From the VehiCross Owners Manual “We do not recommend using this car for trailer towing purpose” and where on earth did the 5000# tow rating come from?

The VehiCROSS manual states that because Isuzu never offered a factory towing package or option. If you'll take the time to do some research and acquaint yourself with the SWB Isuzu Trooper RS models available here in 1989, 1993 and 1995, you'll find factory towing specs of 3500 lbs for the 1st generation model in 1989 and 5000 lbs for the 2nd generation models in '93 and '95. Isuzu also offered factory towing packages for all SWB Troopers. Many VX owners, aware of the fact that the VX has the same chassis and drivetrain as the SWB Trooper use the specs from that vehicle.

Short wheelbase vehicles have been in use worldwide for towing applications since the dawn of motorized transport, even in big-rigs. I'm the owner and operator of a short wheelbase semi even, fully rated at 79,000 lbs.

Todd Adams
08/19/2005, 07:35 AM
Short wheelbase vehicles have been in use worldwide for towing applications since the dawn of motorized transport, even in big-rigs. I'm the owner and operator of a short wheelbase semi even, fully rated at 79,000 lbs.

Here you are talking about a fifth wheel, which is not the same as a ball hitch. Forces act much differently when the pivot center is above the drive axle rather than behind it.

To get close to the GVW when towing some type of load equalizing hitch is required and I see no mention of that in this post as well or are you just referring to experience as being gained by trial and error? This could be disastrous for someone that has little experience in towing vehicles.

Joe you and I both know there is a big difference between a professional driver and someone that is asking for advice because he is not sure what to do. I have a friend that tows a 35’ 5thwheel with a 25’ boat behind a F350. Would this be safe for anyone no. But a retired long haul driver that made his living driving triples why not?

I had no problem years ago towing our 23’ trailer behind a full sized Bronco. Plenty of power, equalizer hitch and within the manufactures tow rating. I turned the driving over to my wife who had only towed with a shorter trailer. As she was passing a semi a gust of wind caused the trailer to sway. She over corrected and rolled.

Even if the VX was rated for 5000# a trailer with a Jeep YJ would exceed this rating. I guess it could be flat towed but stopping would be an issue. If the YJ is trailed, a load equalizing hitch and trailer brakes are a must. Then he could still get in trouble with load placement, which is critical. There are so many variables that telling someone it would be safe to tow a YJ with a VX in my book is irresponsible.

Raque Thomas
08/19/2005, 08:27 AM
Towing is always dangerous when done by a novice. I for many years towed a 24' boat that weighed approx 6,000 lbs (incl trailer) behind a Jeep Cherokee. The weight of the boat seriously exceeded the weight of the Jeep, & it was a short wheelbase vehicle. Towed it generally 60 miles each way, winding, narrow, hilly roads. Never once did I have an issue or a scary moment - make sure your equipment is set up properly and you are attentive to what you are doing. Make sure your tongue weight is right, and make sure the components on the trailer are sound.

The only scary moment I ever had pulling that boat was when I pulled it with a full size Dodge PU, and it pushed me around a corner, nearly jack-knifing me. There wasn't enough weight on the rear axle relative to the rest of the vehicle to provide proper traction.

I just saw a lady nearly lose a 6' trailer with an ATV on it pulled by a full size SUV - it was ALL OVER the road before she got it stopped. Driver skill and attentiveness is the most important factor in towing.

Joe_Black
08/19/2005, 10:21 AM
Joe you and I both know there is a big difference between a professional driver and someone that is asking for advice because he is not sure what to do. I have a friend that tows a 35’ 5thwheel with a 25’ boat behind a F350. Would this be safe for anyone no. But a retired long haul driver that made his living driving triples why not?

I certainly don't disagree with you here and that's why I prefaced my earlier post with the statement that towing by it's very nature is hazardous. My feeling is if you and I were involved in this conversation in person we'd quickly get in step rather than dancing on opposite sides of the mulberry bush. Probably my defense of the VX as a capable tow vehicle is where we get off-track, so my apologies for any misunderstanding. :bgwg:

Even if the VX was rated for 5000# a trailer with a Jeep YJ would exceed this rating.

An average YJ weighs around 3000 lbs, so you'd have to be using a pretty beefy trailer to top 5000 lbs. Granted, lighter is always better and safer. That 14' Featherlite linked earlier weighs just under 1000 lbs IIRC, and most standard 16' steel trailers push around 1500 - 1800 lbs. The nice thing about loading a Jeep is since it's also SWB you can move it quite a bit on the trailer to find the right balance on the tongue for a good tow. That 14' Featherlite tows like a dream and is probably the best single-vehicle hauler I've ever come across. Put the optional electric brakes on there with a decent controller and you've got a winning no-brainer package. And there's lots of comparable trailers out there, new and used, with brakes and comparable features and weight.