PDA

View Full Version : Wet floor, water leak, mold on passenger side

Grant Eaton
03/31/2003, 01:23 PM
Anyone know of a good disinfectant for killing mold and that musty mold smell? My passenger side floor smells like a cat box! ;eeky;

I have rubber floor mats. They've never been wet on the passenger side as far as I've known. This morning, I pulled up the carpet on the passenger side to do some custom accessory wiring. To my dismay, the carpet UNDERNEATH the rubber mat was completely sopping wet and smelled moldy. The fiberglass insulation is as wet as a sponge and has black mold growing on it in places.

I read some posts on here that indicate I should check the following leak sources:

1. Weld seam on passenger door
2. Rubber eletrical wiring boot on passenger door
3. Windshield seams / seals

Any other areas I should check? Any ideas for getting rid of a moldy smell? I may just have to take it to the dealer and have them replace the carpet under warranty (hopefully). Thanks.

SGT.BATGUANO
03/31/2003, 09:36 PM
Defininately get the problem found/ fixed before you go to the trouble of replacing the carpet and insulation.

Check the plenum (engine compartment side) where the a/c cooling coil is located, for proper condensation/ water drainage. There should be a small hole at or near the bottom, possibly with a flexable rubber flap covering it. On older GM's, dirt, leaves, ect., would clog or block the flap and condensation and rain from the cowl fresh air intake would fill the plenum until it would overflow through the lowest point of the ventilation ductwork, usually the heater ducts.

As far as the smell and discoloration go, I know that 10% diluted bleach will kill the mold stains, but will kill your carpet as well. Try testing some LYSOL or other disinfectant spray on an inconspicuous area of the carpet (under the door sill plate, for example) for staining or discoloration. For the smell possibly FABREEZE (sp?) .The only other thing I can think of for the smell is some sort of OZIUM odor eliminator

skullcap
04/05/2003, 04:51 AM
The Service Manager at Horton Isuzu in Atlanta has been great about trying to locate a very insidious leak causing the wet mat on the driver's side of my 2000 Ebony Black beauty.

I just retrieved my VX from the shop, yesterday. In my case, he thinks it was a deformed door seal, but time will tell if this second fix will be the charm.

They also advised using Fabreeze as a deodorant but said it was the padding, and not the carpet, that would most likely hold odors. They offered to replace the carpet padding if, after a little while, I could not get the odor to cease.

Grant Eaton
04/09/2003, 08:47 PM
OK... the leak appeared to have been coming in from the firewall area. The dealer pointed out that I had fed my aftermarket amp power cable through a rubber seal in the fire wall, but didn't use any sealent around the edges. Apparently this enabled water dripping from the windshield into the engine compartment to enter the small hole and find its way down to the floor. The funny thing is that the hole has been there for 18 months yet I know for a fact it did not start leaking until a week or two ago. In any case, I sealed the hole up and am carefully monitoring the condition.

The black mold smell has gone away, and I sprayed the mold with Lysol disinfectant. Hopefully it will kill the spores. The carpet is dry as of right now. The first car wash will be the real endurance test.

Grant