PDA

View Full Version : "thump" sensation in steering column...

2K1 1K2
08/11/2005, 09:17 PM
hello, all.

there's been a couple postings re: the front suspension (ie noises, vibrations), recently. i didn't post in either of those as my question varies slightly.

as of late, i have felt a "thump-like" sensation in the steering column/wheel upon going over bumps. this will happen at any speed but is felt a bit more if speed is quite low (ie. going over a speed bump), since the rest of the car is stable. i seem to notice this more, when the right (passenger side) is the first to encounter the bump(s). also happens, if i move the steering wheel slightly to the left or right while the car is idle. any ideas? hope my description is enough. VX suspension is stock and she just turned 30K yesterday.

i am thinking of taking her in next week to have it looked at. although the tech is awesome, i'd like to go in w/ a bit of knowledge to have as much checked to alleviate this malady.

thanks!

-joe

Ldub
08/12/2005, 03:47 AM
Sounds a bit like ball joints or tie rod ends?

2K1 1K2
08/12/2005, 09:25 PM
thanks, for replying. i'll have him check them out.

-jose

mbeach
08/14/2005, 01:49 PM
I found a front end clunk by sticking my head (and shoulders) underneath the (not running) truck while someone bounced up and down on the front bumper.

Look very closely at the swaybar bushings and the endlinks. They can go bad and it's not apparent with a simple visual inspection -it will require the above test to really confirm it.

Ldub
08/15/2005, 09:43 PM
So would any shampoo work?, or does it have to be Head & Shoulders??? ;)

LD