PDA

View Full Version : Shocks and Bumpstops

bobmumgaard
08/09/2005, 12:11 PM
I am working on a lift for my vx and have a few questions.
1st, I am adding the 912s and a spacer in back and want to add the rancho 9000s but i dont want to lose any articulation, which rancho part number is longer than stock to give me more down travel? Rancho has the rs99215 listed for the vx rear, but with no lift.
2nd, bumpstops. I know i need em to keep the tires off the fenders under compression, and i was looking at darlingtons http://www.darlington-offroad.com/category.html?UCIDs=1124681 (yeah i could make em, but time is money) and was wondering if the bumpstops are the same front and rear.
Anybody with any lift experiece that wants to share their conquests or mistakes is more than welcome to chime in.
Thanks,
bobmumgaard

AlaskaVX
08/09/2005, 12:51 PM
Do your bumpstops last.You should just have a 4x4 shop do your bumpstops. Have them put your VX on a articulation ramp and see how big of one you should use. At least this is what I was told (after I bought some). There isn't any need for bumpstops up front I don't think.....

Look in my profile and you will find the Bilstien part #'s I used that will give you a good idea on what size Rancho to use. I would just stick with your stock shocks up front until they go bad.

bobmumgaard
08/25/2005, 11:34 AM
Alright -sigh as i contemplate how much of a pain it is dealing with manufacturers who dont care about such a unique vehicle-

I've gotten all my parts for my lift now except longer rear shocks. I really like the rancho9000s and I know what lenghts I'm looking for now (thanks AlaskaVX)
I called Rancho but they say that the rear vx mounts are the limiting factor, and nothing but the one they have listed will fit. This can't be true, and if so, it can't be too hard to modify such a simple eye/bolt mount. Anyone have any experience with this? anyone put longer rancho's on the rear? If i knew what kind of modifications where possible, i could pick the shock and modify it to fit but with so many shock and mounting choices its hard to start (ex: http://www.gorancho.com/products/appguides/2005/2005_shocks.pdf)

For lengths im thinking :
extended: ~23-24 in
collapsed ~ 13.5-14.5 in

Any help or opinions would be awesome guys, first time building a 4x4