PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Fall VX Gathering II Oct. 1-2 2005

Triathlete
08/06/2005, 05:38 PM
Alright it is that time again. Every one is welcome to join us in sunny Arizona for a weekend of 4-wheeling and camping VX style. This is an overnighter so bring your camping suplies. The temp should be mid 70's-mid 80's during the day and upper 60's-low 70's at night. For those that don't want to go off road but want to make a day trip and hang out for a few hours and get a bite to eat we will be meeting up and hanging out prior to the trail. So here is all the vital info...

WHAT Arizona Fall VX Gathering II

WHEN Sat. Oct.1 and Sun. Oct. 2 Meet at 10:00AM

WHERE Superior, Arizona...Meet at the Worlds Smallest Museum (http://www.worldssmallestmuseum.com/) 1111 W. US Hwy 60
We will spend a few hours here hanging out and getting a bite to eat. Superior is a very small town. There is a cafe at the museum site (or we can find another place in town if everyone wants-I'll bring a list of all 5 eating places available). For those not wanting to go wheeling there is some scenic driving through the hills, areas where you can hike and climb or maybe we will talk you into giving the trail a go! :bwgy:
The main trail will be Hackberry Creek. This is a 3-3.5 rated trail that stock VX's will do fine on. I will also try and come up with a few more trails or we can just do some exploring.

WHY Do we really need a reason?

WHO Everyone...come and join us!

If you plan on coming lets here from you!
If you have any ??? or need more info let me know.
Here is a link (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=5458&highlight=Hackberry+creek) to a past trip on the trail with pictures.

Triathlete
08/06/2005, 05:40 PM
Triathlete
VCAMILO
VXcaver
TucsonVX
LeDonovan
LDUB (possible)
Mr Quackers (possible)
your name here :dance:

Triathlete
08/06/2005, 08:33 PM
Scott, Thanks for putting us on the calandar! :clap:

Moncha
08/06/2005, 08:46 PM
No problem!

Triathlete
08/11/2005, 09:24 AM
Soooooooooooooooooo! Whos going to be there?

Mr.Quackers
08/13/2005, 09:45 PM
As of right now i should not have any problem attending this event, but i still have to mark up a "maybe" because work has been really slow and the paychecks are not comming in as usual. :( however this is the slowest time of year (as i have heard) and should be in the clear by next month. all these new payments for the Vx are taking their toll right now. (but WELL worth it! ;) ) if things pick up like they "should", there will not be any problem with attending. i will post again later, and hope to see yall out there!

haha! (had to throw some southern in there :p)

Triathlete
08/14/2005, 11:23 AM
Cool! You all will have to learn a little southwest while your down here! :bwgy:

As of now it is looking as if day 2 will be a trail called Montana Mountain (unless I find something better between now and then). This trail is easy-moderate with some nice scenery.

Ldub
08/14/2005, 09:45 PM
Due to the recent(fri.) revelation of the possibility of being unemployed at that time, my condition has been downgraded to "extremely iffy" pertaining to my attendance.
After 8 yrs. at the same place, It's probably a good thing in the long run, but sure is the sh8tz when ya first find out. Can't hardly wait to see where the next chapter will lead...
The progression in smileyville: :eek: :confused: :mad: :( ;) :) :p :cool:

Triathlete
08/26/2005, 09:17 AM
Where are all the 'zonies. I know there is like 15-20 on this board...we can do better than this. Only 4 weeks to go!

Also add your names to the list HERE (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2005-10-1&e=211&c=1) !

VCAMILO
08/26/2005, 02:51 PM
I know I know we used to have more AZ VX's show up! Now whenever I see a VX in Phoenix I laught cause I know most of them are not being used off-road. I have seen a few VX's around town lately and YES! they were all clean clean clean and stock to the bone. :mad: What a waiste! Even my mother took her VX out to the mud 2 weeks after she got her's... :p Come on AZ VX's come out and play!

Triathlete
08/27/2005, 01:45 PM
One more Phoenixin on board LeDonovan...will be glad to meet a new AzVXer!

Kahuna
08/27/2005, 02:00 PM
I would like to go.......well.....ride with somebody. With the price of gas...I simple can't afford it. My wife just graduated from law school and we are a one income family for the moment. Here is San Diego....gas is $3 per gallon. I also have a honda....I would make the trip in that.....but I don't want to miss out on the fun.

So, if anybody has a spare seat for the ride.......I might be able to go.

Triathlete
08/27/2005, 02:08 PM
We will find you a seat Kahuna...put it on your calendar!

VCAMILO
08/29/2005, 03:50 PM
Lets do it Kahuna! Im pretty sure we can find you a spot.

Yeah the $3 a gallon has me thinking about it all the time. I have limited my trips to Cali and up north because of that. People complain that Europe has it worse but I dont think they travel as much since all countries are fairly small. The US is huge and public transportation is not a popular way to travel.

Hope to see you there Kahuna.

AZPetrak
09/08/2005, 02:42 PM
Could a non-VX tag along, how about a ex-Isuzu ower?

I went to the dark side and bought a Jeep TJ :confused:

Triathlete
09/08/2005, 10:54 PM
Your more than welcome to join in! We might have to make you stay 6 feet back though so as to not catch that disease! :laughy: :laughr: :laugho:

AZPetrak
09/09/2005, 08:52 AM
Well not to pollute this site with Jeep stuff but I thought you might want know what has been said about Powerline Trail (Hackberry Creek), here are some quotes from AzJVC:

This trail is truly a challenge for the moderate 4-wheeler. Some type of locking device is recommended, as well as clearance and 31' tires.

The trail is a solid 3.5+. There are numerous rock gardens that cannot be bypassed. Plenty of challenges to keep the heart rate up. Don't take a stock vehicle unless you want damage and breakage. The scenery is amazing!

I know 2 guys that ran this trail in late spring, I will see how bad they thought it was.

As for me, it looks like the wife and I will be doing Broken Arrow trail the weekend before so I doubt I will be able to make this one. I will keep my eyes open for your next run, I have always enjoyed wheeling with this bunch.

Triathlete
09/09/2005, 09:56 AM
Myself , Victor and Jeff ran it last Fall. It is a fun trail and I think 3.5 is a little high on the rating. It is definately doable in a stock 4 wheeler.

Ldub
09/09/2005, 10:57 AM
An addendum just to razz the "Jeepies"...It's a 3.5+ for a Jeep, not as difficult for slightly modded VX's. :p :p :p
Ldub

Triathlete
09/09/2005, 10:55 PM
In defense of AzP...He is a prior Zu owner and he used it! :smack:

VCAMILO
09/13/2005, 09:35 AM
WHAT! a 3.5? ? ? I took my GF at time time there at night and we camped out a mid point. I guess our modded VX's made the trail seem more like a 2.0... :cool!:

Triathlete
09/14/2005, 09:48 AM
Who else will be there? Come on 'zonies!
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/518/thumbs/2850.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/518/2850.jpg)

LeDonovan
09/15/2005, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the welcome Triathlete! I am a new VX owner and have never 4 wheeled myself, so I am feeling a bit uncertain about the unknown. Will my "no experience" status be a hindrance to the group, and are there any other girls going? Also I am a girl with not alot of truck knowledge, so what "mod's" are people making to make the VX more 4 wheel proficient?

VXcaver
09/15/2005, 06:48 AM
Hey welcome LeDonovan! Here's the sad truth (I have to whisper so he doesn't hear): Triathlete is a madman. Don't trust him when he says "it's eeeeasy! Trust me!" He's totally insane. If you value your VX, please, for the love of God, don't follow him!! (Also, don't tell Triathlete I wrote this.)

And then more seriously, my VX is unmodifed (except for tires) and I can always keep up just fine. We get together to have fun, you know -- to see some of AZ that not too many people get to see. If the trail has rough spots (it will) there are always spotters. Sometimes we even trim the bushes to prevent racing stripes. (Or am I the only one doing that?)

Anyway... hope you can join us!

Triathlete
09/15/2005, 09:34 AM
Hey! The doctors said I was all better now and removed the straight jacket last week! :rolly: :naughty:

Mr.Quackers
09/15/2005, 11:00 AM
Well i too have had basically N0 off roading experience. i say "basically" N0 becaiuse i hydroplaned into a ditch the first week i got my first vehicle ,NOT with the Vx! (it was a 2wd jeep) ha ha (trust me, i have learned my lesson since then!) and it still looks i should be able to go. however the length of the drive and the use of gas itself would be a good strain on my wallet. its like a 2,000 mile (roughly) trip from here to there. then got to drive back as well. looking at like 400 bucks in gas alone for the entire trip. :( i would still love to go. or should i wait for soemthing a little bit closer?

LeDonovan
09/15/2005, 02:03 PM
You guys are making me nervous!!!

VXcaver
09/15/2005, 02:32 PM
Sorry!

Truthfully now LeDonovan... I've done most of the trips with these guys in my stock VX and only once put a scratch on my car -- and that was when my dad was allegedly spotting me and didn't tell me to stop until I'd backed into a giant rock! (Dads... they get a kick outta that kind of thing!) Wheeling with Billy Triathlete and the AZ gang is always a hoot but always safe-- we all love our trucks. Everyone spots/looks out for each other. Speed is not an issue.

Quackers - okay, that's a long drive. If you decide to come out we'll be sure to give you most excellent directions, etc.

LeDonovan
09/16/2005, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the encouragement!!

I am definitely coming and I promise not to hold anyone up! HOWEVER if anyone wants to climb over 3 foot boulders like I have seen some of you maniacs doing in a few photos, I will be content to be the official sidelines photographer for those! I already have a scratch on my passenger door so if I actually need a spotter, tell him or your dad to make sure that is the side I scratch up!! :)

LeDonovan
09/16/2005, 01:03 PM
I am new to the board so forgive me if I'm in the wrong forum. Thought this was a good area as I have a question for my Arizona neighbors.

Have only had my VX a month and need some direction about servicing. Are there special concerns that warrant service by Isuzu? I have never serviced at dealerships due to the expense, but wonder if the VX wants this to purr? I have just crossed the 30,000 mile mark and believe I have a lot that needs to be done. Also - oil changes - where are you going and what are you using for our extreme heat? I definitely plan on using synthetic but that's all I know.

Lastly - have ordered a few upgrades like step bars from Tone and a skid plate from Ron and wonder if you know anyone for installation.

Thanks for the help!

P.S. I have taught ballroom/latin/country dance on the side for years and love to barter services if anyone has been toying with the idea of dazzling them on the dance floor!! :)

VCAMILO
09/16/2005, 04:35 PM
Hey LeDonovan my girlfriend will be coming with me so if you are worried about being the only girl... ;) Im sure Regina is coming on this trip... Right Billy?

Triathlete
09/16/2005, 10:46 PM
Regina is 99% sure!

Triathlete
09/19/2005, 09:27 AM
FSR radios for communicating between vehicles
camping gear
food (1dinner, 1breakfast, 1lunch and trail snacks)
trash bags (we always tend to clean up after the OTHER scumgags)
I will get a fire permit and check on fire restrictions
Its also a good idea to have a state land permit ($15-20 for a year) if you have any ??? on this let me know (I think mine is still good...better go check)
if you have any around...a couple pieces of fire wood (don't know what is available in the area)
A good sense of humor!
and anything else you deem necessary!

For Victor...
The charger! :laughy:

LeDonovan
09/19/2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks guys! Always nice to have a few girls around!!! Does anyone ever bring their dogs along or do they get too seasick?! :)

Triathlete
09/20/2005, 08:52 AM
My dog don't fit...210lbs.! ;eeky; And my smaller dog don't go because they are a team!

Mr.Quackers
09/21/2005, 10:37 AM
well not so good news. im afraid i am not going to be able to make this one. it would be roughly a 20 hr drive there and another 20 hrs back. the price of gas :( , work and school assignments, its just a little too much at the moment. i was thinking i would be able to make it, but after looking into the actual trip a bit more and how long it would take, it is just not realistically going to happen. however i will be there in spirit! take plenty of photos for me so i can see what i missed. haha ;) and tell me all about it when yall get back. i apologize to everyone that i cant make it this time. maybe if we had something closer (or a more gas friendly vehicle)

Triathlete
09/21/2005, 04:29 PM
No need to apologize...that is a LOOOONNNNNGGGGGGGG trip! Save up for Moab next May. That is one that no one should miss! It is definately worth the trip. And we will take lots of pics!

Triathlete
09/22/2005, 10:55 AM
9 DAYS!
WhooooHooooo! Still not too late to join in on the fun. Hell, you can even just show up...its never too late!

Victor...I am putting together a bunch of wheeling video so bring that blinging computer (with the charger!)!!!!!

impalerv
09/22/2005, 10:06 PM
I'm driving in from New York to work in Phoenix. I'm actually typing this from a hotel in St. Louis. The vehicross is handling nicely. A full tank gets me 300 miles at 70mph. I've done off-roading in Paragon, PA and Pine Barrens, NJ, so I'm looking forward to this. Hope I can make it.

By the way, I'm planning to stop by St. Charles Isuzu in MO. Any mods to consider?

Triathlete
09/23/2005, 08:12 AM
Cool...let us know if theres anything we can do for you. If you need directions or if you want to hook up with someone to caravan give us a holler. VCamillo will be coming from the Phoenix area!

Triathlete
09/23/2005, 08:49 AM
Sat/Sun weather is calling for a high of 92 and a low of 73! Sat has a chance of scattered showers so come prepared! Should be nice (in Arizonan terms). See everyone there.

Triathlete
09/26/2005, 03:17 PM
If anyone is coming from the Tucson area and wants to caravan up TucsonVX and I will be leaving at 6:30 am to head up there. See you all there!
Oh yeah, we are leaving from the McDodalds at Irvington/I-19 but can hook up with others on the way!

Triathlete
09/27/2005, 09:27 PM
Another weather update! Mid 90's for highs and mid 70's lows...no rain in the forcast now!

Triathlete
09/29/2005, 04:10 PM
2 DAYS
See you all there! If there is any last minute ????s I'll be checking the board tommorow.

VXcaver
09/30/2005, 06:58 AM
Billy - I won't be caravaning up, but I'll meet you in Superior at 10am at the little museum thingy. See you then!

VCAMILO
09/30/2005, 08:15 AM
Hey impalerv are you in Phoenix? Give me a call and we can caravan together. Im on the East Valley and about 5 minutes south of the 60 and the 101. 773.251.1513

Hey Billy where the heck is the "little museum thingy" at? The same place we met last year? The road off the highway or at the gas station on the 60? You guys bringing steaks again? Im considering bringing my dog... a little 25lb jacksrussel/lab mix. I just dont want her throwing up everywhere. She might need to be drugged up. :p

Triathlete
09/30/2005, 11:11 AM
The worlds smallest musuem.... 1111 W. hwy 60! Just look for the little itty bitty musuem. I've never been there but how hard could ite to find? Its not like WE ever get lost or any thing! :bwgy: ;eeky; ;Dy;

LeDonovan
09/30/2005, 02:03 PM
Hey TriAthlete,

I just realized I don't have a contact # for anyone in the group and unfortunately I may have to cancel, and I don't want to inconvenience anyone wondering where I am. My mom is visiting from Seattle and was supposed to spend the weekend with my sister who has been called in to work. You can't know how much I have been looking forward to this weekend, and I am hoping to resolve the "mom" issue - but you know mom's! Don't wait more than 10 minutes for me. My mobile # is 480-332-3940. Hope you get this message and hope to see you tomorrow!! :p

Triathlete
09/30/2005, 04:30 PM
Don't worry LeDonavan, we will be hanging out a bit and eating there so We''ll figure if your more than 2 hours late you probably aren't going to make it. Cell coverage isn't to great if it even exists up there but just in case mine is 520-465-4559. Hope it all works out...if nothing else pack up your mom and come up and eat lunch with us. I'll bet mom has never been to the worlds smallest musuem! :yesy: ;Dy; :naughty:

See everyone tommorow.

TucsonVX
09/30/2005, 06:32 PM
Myself , Victor and Jeff ran it last Fall. It is a fun trail and I think 3.5 is a little high on the rating. It is definately doable in a stock 4 wheeler.
We went down the falls gravity is a great thing, going up may be a differnt challenge.

Triathlete
10/01/2005, 05:38 AM
I'm on my way!!!!!!!!

LeDonovan
10/02/2005, 02:43 AM
Thanks guys for the witty response!! I SHOULD have brought my mom so she could meet a few "individualistic" (obsessive) people and know I am not the only one! So sorry to miss the fun and will call you guys when I am in Tuscon for a meet and greet! My treat since I missed the meet! ;) VXCaver - thanks for the email - did you guys have an awesome time and ..... any casualties?!

Triathlete
10/02/2005, 05:55 PM
Writing the report right now...stand by for the play by play!

P.S as a first timer it may have been best you missed this one...the trail was in a "little" worse shape than last year :flame2:

....But we all survived!

VXcaver
10/02/2005, 06:55 PM
Hey welcome LeDonovan! Here's the sad truth (I have to whisper so he doesn't hear): Triathlete is a madman. Don't trust him when he says "it's eeeeasy! Trust me!" He's totally insane. If you value your VX, please, for the love of God, don't follow him!!

Just remember... you heard it here first! :yesg:

Triathlete
10/02/2005, 07:00 PM
The trip report (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=7681) is now posted!

And for everyones info I was perfectly sane...or so my doctor told me! :flower:
I would not have been able to drive so brilliantly if they didn't remove the straight jacket!