PDA

View Full Version : Torsion Cranking

james1_10018
03/30/2003, 09:35 PM
What are the disdavatages of torsin cranking to fit biger tires

Thanks

Triathlete
03/31/2003, 09:55 AM
I cranked mine about 2 inches for a little more clearance and to make it sit a bit less nose down. I have noticed no differance. If you go much beyond this, you may need to flip your ball joints to allow proper alignment.

;eekr; I just noticed that I am now a "supercharged VXer"...Whoohoo!!!!

IsuZOOM
04/01/2003, 04:37 AM
Are there any posted "How-to's" on this?

Triathlete
04/01/2003, 08:47 AM
Its actually quite easy. Measure. Put front end up on jack stands. Follow the torsion bars back. About mid door at the end of the bar is a large bolt. Turn right to lift. Repeat on other side. Lower vehicle and measure to make sure its even. Then make adjustments till its right. Afterwards you will need to get your VX alligned. Takes about 1/2 hour to do! Hope this helps.

grober02
04/21/2003, 06:21 AM
I am considering adjusting my torsion bars and have a question. I saw the previous post to follow the torsion bars back about mid-door. Are you talking about the large hex bolt right infront of the muffler? What size socket is needed? Also, I heard that these bolts are difficult to turn. Can this be done with just a regular socket wrench?

Thanks for any help

Moncha
04/21/2003, 07:06 AM
At the end of the torsion bar, you should see what looks to be a "Lever" sticking out from the side. That is the bolt that will you will be turning. If I remember right it's a 12 or 14mm. If you lift the front end it should make it easier to turn due to taking the load off of the bars themselves..

Tone
04/21/2003, 08:17 AM
27mm socket required. Make sure you keep track of how many turns up or down and have the vehicle realigned after a change. Also, double check that your adjustments are equal by measuring at both front wheel openings after a test drive while parked on level ground.

Moncha
04/21/2003, 08:37 AM
Ooops! they look so much smaller that that under there!;Do;

Tonka
04/21/2003, 10:57 AM
Once the front end is lifted and the tires are off the ground, it is VERY easy to turn those suckers. Great mod!

WormGod
04/24/2009, 10:45 AM
I just had to dig this old bird up (and it's cool seeing a post by Tone) :) .

I went to crank my torsions last night to gain about 1/2" in the front since my new front flaps are a bit too snug in the well and rub the tire some. Turns out the largest wrench and socket I have is a 24mm. Can someone verify if it is INDEED a 27mm please? I plan on stopping off and picking up the correct size after work today to get this done.

Oh, and wouldn't ya know it.... I need to replace my floor jack and jack stands while I am at it. End of last summer, some clown(s) decided to raid my garage while I was cutting grass in my backyard on evening. SOMEONE had to have seen somebody running down the street with a floor jack and 4 jack stands.... one would think. Right.... one would think. :rolleyes:

CrnCnn
04/24/2009, 11:23 AM
I just had to dig this old bird up (and it's cool seeing a post by Tone) :) .

Can someone verify if it is INDEED a 27mm please? I plan on stopping off and picking up the correct size after work today to get this done.

Mine was actually not a 27, the 27 was too loose. A standard fit better than the metric, dont know what size it was off the top. It seems to be that way in different locations on my VX.

slutty22
04/24/2009, 12:24 PM
I cranked mine about 2 inches for a little more clearance and to make it sit a bit less nose down. I have noticed no differance. If you go much beyond this, you may need to flip your ball joints to allow proper alignment.

Im a zoid..........not quit sure what that is.....but I like it!!!

circmand
04/24/2009, 12:41 PM

Site supporter is the best level though

Riff Raff
04/24/2009, 01:51 PM
Im a zoid..........not quit sure what that is.....but I like it!!!

A "zoid" means you're a newbie/rookie (with only 27 posts) and that you have not made a monetary donation. Those individuals who make a $20 monetary donation to Vehicross.Info will have their rating changed to "Site Supporter". Having "zoid" is not a good thing to have, but we all started there in the beginning. Welcome to Vehicross.Info and we all look forward to your rating being changed to "Site Supporter" in the very near future!!!

JoFotoz
04/24/2009, 02:41 PM
:p:p:p

Site supporter is the best level though

:thumbup:

jo

KeithVXlvr
04/24/2009, 03:28 PM
I popped my "zoid" yesterday. :)

Site Supporter, Keith

slutty22
04/24/2009, 03:36 PM
A "zoid" means you're a newbie/rookie (with only 27 posts) and that you have not made a monetary donation. Those individuals who make a $20 monetary donation to Vehicross.Info will have their rating changed to "Site Supporter". Having "zoid" is not a good thing to have, but we all started there in the beginning. Welcome to Vehicross.Info and we all look forward to your rating being changed to "Site Supporter" in the very near future!!!

so when I donate the 20 bux can I still be a zoid:confused:

JoFotoz
04/24/2009, 03:39 PM
Nope...

...you'll be a full blown AWESOM'EST site supporter!

jo

circmand
04/24/2009, 04:02 PM

To us you will always be a Zoid. Trust me the people on here have great memories, a great deal of pantience, warped senses of humor and apparently endless time on their hands.

Except for me of course.

They also have a great deal of affinity for their VX and others who drive them.

navistar
04/24/2009, 04:37 PM
I just put the socket on the torsion bar crank bolt to confirm that yes it is a 27mm. For reference, the bolts are inboard about 45 inches from where the front end of the lower control arms connect to the mounts on the frame.

Also it is important to keep score of the cranks and keep them equal at first. Then adjust for left/right level by measuring the distance from the top of the front tires to the 12 0'clock position on the lip of the wheel well immediately above. After my adjustments I drove the VX around the block to let everything settle in then did a fine tune.

I recommend the ball joint flip but that only really works with the spacers from Independent4X. It gives you a little over 1-quarter of an inch in height which equals a little less cranking on the torsion bars.

I thought the lift I did with 912s and 1-inch spacers improved performance and handling. I did get the bushings front and rear for stability.

Navi

WormGod
04/27/2009, 08:59 AM
All good. I only wanted to lift it about 1/2" which was just enough for extra clearance to test these new mudflaps. Turns out, I hate them, so they are coming back off anyways, heh.

And yep, a 27mm was the fit. A little blaster, a lift up, and turning was a piece of cake. Butter. Funny enough, I measured before I cranked anything and my pass, side was nearly 3/4" higher than my driver's side. Funny how some thinjgs go unnoticed. All good now though.

tom4bren
04/27/2009, 09:09 AM
Anyone remember how much lift per turn it is???

WormGod - good point about checking the height periodically, I've never checked mine.

AK VX Lvr
04/27/2009, 04:05 PM
I think that is roughly 3-4 turns per inch of lift.:bgwp:
Dave

castigan
08/10/2009, 12:46 AM
what sort of effect on the ride does cranking ya bars up 1" have ? is there any long term detriment to having them cranked up ? does it make the ride rougher than factory ?

crotchrocket
08/10/2009, 12:55 AM
I have mine up to 14 turns, its about 3" and the front end is alot softer, even at 9 turns it was pretty soft. I'd like some up-rated torsion bars to be honest

Ldub
08/10/2009, 01:01 AM
what sort of effect on the ride does cranking ya bars up 1" have ? is there any long term detriment to having them cranked up ? does it make the ride rougher than factory ?

Cranking the T-bars won't have much effect on ride quality, as you're re-positioning the spring (torsion bar), not making it any stronger.

A slight (1") crank, puts more angle on the CV's, and will cause slightly more wear & tear, but many of us have been @ 3" or more, for many a mile, without any problems that new CV boots & grease wouldn't cure...:smilewink

Sprey
08/10/2009, 03:26 AM

Yea not really noticeable tho having ome912s in the back 100x better ride no more hitting the bumpstops

Castigan if you were in welly id let you have a drive of my vx and then you could see what a lifted one is like.

Ldub
08/10/2009, 03:32 AM
Yea not really noticeable tho having ome912s in the back 100x better ride no more hitting the bumpstops

Castigan if you were in welly id let you have a drive of my vx and then you could see what a lifted one is like.

I think this would also be a factor in the front feeling softer after cranking the T-bars. More available up travel before hitting the bumps.

vt_maverick
08/10/2009, 07:50 AM
At the risk of being pointed to the search button I'm going to ask the obvious question:

Are there not pics of this on the forum somewhere? There's super detailed descriptions and discussions here, but one picture would be so much more self-explanatory.

Flame on! ;)

Ldub
08/10/2009, 08:57 AM
At the risk of being pointed to the search button I'm going to ask the obvious question:

Are there not pics of this on the forum somewhere? There's super detailed descriptions and discussions here, but one picture would be so much more self-explanatory.

Flame on! ;)

This is the best I could find for ya Dude...:_wrench:

Cleverly hidden within Rickshaws OME 912 how to...:smilewink

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm?id=117&Isuzu_Torsion_Bar_Adjustment

vt_maverick
08/10/2009, 09:12 AM
Nice find! Thanks Dub!

l.ectric
08/20/2009, 12:26 AM
Damn zoids 'n all their poppycock.