PDA

View Full Version : Black MATTE paint?

WyrreJ
08/05/2005, 05:06 PM
I've never even heard of a paint-job like this, but I was thinking it would be kind of cool.

Do any automotive paint experts out there know if it is possible to get a high-quality matte final/exterior coat on a car? I'm thinking something that looks charcol black, just light-suckingly black, no shiny reflections or glare -- but can still be washed and treated like most any other car. Looking kind of like just an undercoat, but not grey, just deep solid black - kinda like black anodized aluminum, maybe.

transio
08/05/2005, 05:59 PM
Have you checked to see what paint they use for the F-117 Stealth Fighter?

morgan-tec
08/05/2005, 08:03 PM
I will agree that the matte look is very cool but from what i have seen the finish is not as durable and a lot harder to maintain than a traditional one. It is much more prone to scratchs which actually show up shinny on the matte backround.

MZ-N10
08/05/2005, 11:37 PM
i was thinkin something alone those lines, but more like a flat with a clear coat. i havent seen a car like that personally, but my friend says he saw an integra(i think) which looked good with paint like tat.

Ldub
08/05/2005, 11:40 PM
I think it would be OK to go flat black, no more washing the car...just walk around it once in a while w/ a piece of cardboard for masking & a can of BBQ black to touch up the scratches, shiny & or dirty spots, bada-bing...yer done! :p

transio
08/06/2005, 09:41 AM
Another option - you could just paint it black w/ clear coat and then leave it out in the sun for about 5 years and voila! Flat black! :)

SilverBullet75
08/06/2005, 09:48 AM
Not sure how the application process works, but powder coat is very strong, and you can choose many different finishes, colors, etc... (probably VERY expensive).

Jonnie
08/06/2005, 03:16 PM
Finger prints...

morgan-tec
08/07/2005, 08:48 PM
Not sure how the application process works, but powder coat is very strong, and you can choose many different finishes, colors, etc... (probably VERY expensive).

Only problem with that is you need to bake the part you are powdercoating at 400 degrees for 10 to 20 min. So unless you want to strip the car of everything that will not withstand 400 degrees, including the epoxy they glue on the body pannels with this is not an option. But you are correct about the durability and strength of the process, far better than liquid paint in most applications.

SGT.BATGUANO
08/08/2005, 12:09 AM
Try velvet paint. I think custom paint suppliers and por-15 carry it

kobie
08/08/2005, 07:25 AM
Yesterday on "Pimp my Ride" they used a flat matte paint with a "flat" clear coat on top.

Tyler
08/08/2005, 01:00 PM
Theres a single stage paint called "Hot Rod Flatz". Very low sheen, no gloss. Sounds like what your looking for.

Ty

WyrreJ
08/08/2005, 07:12 PM
Try velvet paint. I think custom paint suppliers and por-15 carry it
Interesting. Searching on google reveals that astronomers are super-interested in light-absorbing black treatments -- to reduce stray reflections in their telescopes. All the amatuer guys seem to swear by this "Nextel Black Velvet" paint which 3M used to make and now appears to be in the hands of this German company:

Company : Mackiewicz GmbH in Hamburg, Germany
Telefon : +49-40-751030; Fax:+49-40-75103375
Lack : 81121,Nextel Velvet, Schwarz (black),1kg 5kg 25kg
Thinner : 8061, Nextel Thinner

It also seems to be just as absorbant in the near-IR range as it is in the visible range while something like black-anodized aluminum is super-reflective in the near IR.

But, I have not been able to find out via google if this Nextel paint is good for exterior use or if it is interior only.

Now, I'm also wondering about carbon-fibre construction - can you mix weird stuff like paint or some kind of powder into the carbon fibre when it is molded? Or at least paint it afterwards without as much fuss as it takes to paint our regular cladding? I'm thinking that if those guys who are talking about CF replacement cladding can make the parts super-duper-permanent black, that would be a plus too, no more having to worry about treating the cladding to keep it looking black.

SGT.BATGUANO
08/09/2005, 12:23 AM
Pretty sure standard fiberglas resin is used for the c/f, so painting shouldnt be a problem. Check into gelcoat for possible tips, that's what they use to color fiberglas parts and is impregnated into the top layer of the parts.

The velvet paint is something I saw on one of the episodes of overhauled (sp?) where chip foose mods cars. Not sure if it's the same as the astronomer stuff.

mbeach
08/09/2005, 09:17 AM
I looked into this for one of my old Nissans. It was suggested that I use a high quality (gloss) black base, and use a satin clearcoat over it. Scratches would have to be very deep to show shiny.

In the end I abandoned the project because SCC stole my stealth idea for their Project 240.

MachineVX
08/09/2005, 01:03 PM
Sport Compact Car recently did a flat back ghetto spray can paint job of a WRX STI. I'm not sure how the flat black would look on the VX 'cause the body would blend in with the cladding too much.

transio
08/09/2005, 02:38 PM
Too bad we can't powder coat the cladding :p

Ldub
08/09/2005, 04:42 PM
Seems to me that there were a few "muscle cars" in the late 60's & early 70's that came w/ flat black hoods to cut glare (Boss 302 & 429 come to mind)...maybe dig up old paint codes?

WormGod
08/10/2005, 07:47 AM
Missed this post completely.

It is possible, but it isnt reliable. Matte paints do not have the solvents to protect from elements. HIGHLY unrecommended.

HOWEVER.... and this is still going to cost some $, but it works.... have your car painted the color you want and have it clearcoated with a couple extra coats of clear. THEN, wetsand it with 1500-2000 grit. BUT, do not buff it afterwards. It will have a sheen, smooth finish, but without the shine. You won't even notice the clearcoat is on it. The downfall of this is, as above, protection will be limited, but not as much. Also, the basecoat will be hazed out a bit from the clear being wetsanded. Can be done though. Years and years ago, we had done this on a an old Willys. Painted it black, the whole works.... and it came out looking like a stealth bomber. It went offroad a lot so it killed the finish fast. A scratch or ding on this finish will create a bigger eye sore than if it were buffed.

I agree though, a black, satin finished VX would be insane looking. I would love to see one. Maybe I will Photochop one.