PDA

View Full Version : leaded fuel

james1_10018
03/30/2003, 09:10 PM
Anyone knows how I can make my VX take leaded. I am sending my baby to a country where they only use leaded fuel, and I am scared but thats the only way I can get my boss wife to let me buy my second dream car. I know some imported used cars from Japan into this country use leaded so I presume Japan uses unleaded but they modify these carsa to use leaded
Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated

James

Hotsauce
03/31/2003, 03:10 AM
Leaded fuel will poison the oxygen sensor and cats. The cat can be bypassed by making a Y pipe to replace it. From my experience using it in my Eclipse this takes about 10 tankfuls to completely ruin it. Leaded will also run rich, and will trigger a check engine light in OBD2 vehicles because the downstream O2 sensor won't see the value it wants.

John C.

SPAZZ
03/31/2003, 08:13 AM
Leaded fuel won't hurt your ride, but it will kill your equipment with catylist which should make your fuel mileage better!!!!

james1_10018
03/31/2003, 08:44 AM
So If I understand right, by removing the Cat Conv and the O2 sensor I should be ok ?

SPAZZ
03/31/2003, 08:48 AM
you will be just fine by removing the catylitic cnvrtr, if that is your choice.

Hotsauce
03/31/2003, 04:23 PM
When the O2 sensor starts to fail it wil cycle slower, then eventually read low voltage. The ECU will think the engine is leaning out and dump more fuel in, running full rich. Black smoke, and dramatic reduction in mileage.

The only real way to run leaded long term is a carb. Leaded should really only be used in an emergency.

John C.

andy454
04/01/2003, 06:50 AM
That's correct. You would get to the point of setting a light. When I worked at Ford we had vehicles sold in S America that ran leaded fuel. They used a special cal that had the codes turned off and used a default value for the o2 sensors.