PDA

View Full Version : Front Shocks

TEN36VX
07/30/2005, 09:49 AM
I know folks, especially SPAZZ, say you should keep your front shocks "until death do you part", and that T-bar crank/B-joint relocate are the easiest way to lift the front, but...

I am looking at adding a front bumper that weighs in a little shy of 200lbs. I wanted to add some stiffer, more heavy duty shocks to compensate for the extra weight. The shop fab'ing the bumper recomended it...
Does anybody think this is necissary?

And while I am at it, would some extra length in the shock add some lift and save adding torsion?
Or should I just stick with the good ol' T-Bar/B-Joint lift?

Which leads me to my actual question, does anybody have the dimensions of the front shock?
Not the part number or 'size', but the actual dimensions.

Your thoughts...

Ldub
07/30/2005, 11:34 AM
Longer shocks won't do anything as far as actually lifting the load, they are designed to control wheel travel up & down.(unless they are air shocks)
If it was mine, I would take measurements before bar install, then hang it & take measurements to find out the difference in ride height, then just crank the T-bars until it's back up to stock, or a little greater in height.
An alaignment after you get it to where you want it is always good too.
Run it with the stock shocks to see how it handles, then decide if you want to replace them.If you do decide to change them, you can send them to me for free disposal. ;)
BTW, today is discount day...so ya get my 2 cents worth for free. :p
Ldub

Hotsauce
07/30/2005, 11:38 AM
There are no aftermarket shocks even close to the stock stifness. Perhaps your shop could fab up dual shock front brackets?

John C.

AnalogVX
07/31/2005, 09:18 AM
Give a call to Matt at Independent 4X4. http://www.independent4x.com/homepage.html
He can tell you exactly what you need for the extra weight and travel.

Joe_Black
07/31/2005, 06:39 PM
Remember that shocks don't do much for load, that's why they're called shock absorbers. What you need for additional load is beefier torsion bars. That's what supports the weight of the vehicle, the shocks just keep it from bouncing all over the place. Stiffer shocks just don't let it happen as much. Coilovers would be a good addition to beefier springs, but our stock mounting position doesn't offer enough clearance. :(

TEN36VX
08/01/2005, 11:36 PM
Yes, I may have to consider some beefier T-Bars now. Was trying to get away without them, but with the extra weight...

After looking at my buddy's Jeep today, I am really liking the coil over idea (although his is no longer coil over). It might be nice to find a longer IFS arm which could be retro-fit to allow higher clearance and fit a coil over system. Dispite what all the hardcore roaders say, I still like the IFS over straight axles.

Joe_Black
08/02/2005, 05:47 AM
Take one of your front wheels off and just sit down and look at the suspension. After you stare at it a while, you'll find that the easiest way to go coilover would be to add the mounts for dual shocks, much like the rally VX's. Very simple and straightforward, that mod won't have you making all sorts of custom parts and fiddling with the suspension geometry. Just four tabs and brackets per side, some shocks and you're done. Plus you have the upside of being able to switch between the OEM single unit for street and dual coilovers for off-road.