PDA

View Full Version : Front end noise?

billh23
07/28/2005, 08:34 PM
I notice a front end noise, mostly when I'm coasting and am not accelerating, but sometimes when I am accelerating as well. Usually noise happens around 20-40mph when keeping a steady speed. Sounds like it is coming from the front end, and seems like a rubbing noise -- slightly pulsing. I'm worried its the front differential.. anything I can look for wear parts or lube spots? I'm noticing my TOD pulsing more and more lately too.. comes on at almost any acceleration now.. usually stops pulsing around 40+mph. Any suggestions? Everything is completely stock except slightly larger tires.

yal^
07/28/2005, 10:44 PM
Seems like front end noise became problem for a few of us.
Are we having consistent problem with u-joints? Or is it something tied to larger tires?

SGT.BATGUANO
07/29/2005, 12:09 AM
Check tire inflation on all 4 corners, very often overlooked problem.

Is the front lifted with a torsion bar crank? Excessive t-bar cranking stresses cv joints.

Tod surging has been mentioned before from folks running oversize tires. I believe tone's recalibrator may help correct some oversize tire problems such as speedo readings . Not sure if it will help with tod surging. Try contacting him for more info.

Otto
07/29/2005, 05:09 AM
Besides checking proper tire inflation, check to make sure tires are wareing evenly. When I first got my VX the transmission made the same sounds, I had the dealer replace all two front tires because of ware.The two back tires were like new.After replacement of the tires everything was normal. Notthing else was done.

billh23
07/29/2005, 08:14 AM
Tire inflation may be an issue as I'm not sure what to inflate them to. They are brand new tires. I may have them underinflated. It does sound like a transmission noise or a front end noise, it's hard to distinguish where it is coming from sometimes. The TOD continues to surge, I think I may bring it in to the dealer and have them hook it up and tell me if they get anything from it. I don't have any lift at all, and the torsion bars are untouched.

SGT.BATGUANO
07/29/2005, 04:18 PM
Make sure you fill them all to the same pressure. Some here run at the max pressure on the sidewall, it's safe to do so and gives the best handling, tire mileage and fuel economy. You can air them down for personal preference, crawling or hauling loads.

yal^
07/29/2005, 10:36 PM
I'd say take a look at u-joints. If this is the same type of noise like I am getting from underneath, then it's not tranny. It comes on suddenly while coasting, and may go away if you just press the gas a bit more? Then it will kick in again when letting off the gas, and go away when you reach below certain speed?
I just had a conversation with mechanic who specializes in driveshafts. He is going to disconnect my front driveshaft to see if that's the culprit. We were thinking about u-joints because of my lift. If not, I'll keep looking.

billh23
07/29/2005, 11:04 PM
That is exactly the noise and description of what is happening with mine. I think I am going to bring it into the shop....

thanks!!

Triathlete
07/29/2005, 11:09 PM
Its a lift thing. Mine has done it since day 1 lifted. I haven't worried much about it. I fix it by turning the radio up louder! :bwgy:

yal^
07/30/2005, 09:01 AM
Well, here is the thing...
My friend's Rodeo with 3" lift on lost a driveshaft while doing about 65mph. The guy in the Mercedes behind him wasn't very happy when his ground effects went to pieces. Sure, he shouldn't have been sitting on the Rodeo's tail for good half an hour or so, but... It took about three years for u-joints to let go, and the Rodeo wasn't driveable for a while.

I helped someone pick up a VX here in Chicago just about a week ago. Mark was flying in form CO to buy it. Clean, stock Ebony. After I test drove it for him, I crawled under the truck. I was interested in front of the shaft especially. I thought that mine being off a bit is due to the lift, but this one looked exactly the same - as the angle was a bit too high or the truck dropped. I was just wandering if this is another of hidden things, like windows regulator.

Here is front of my driveshaft - sorry for the blurry picture but I think that shows what I mean.

https://home.comcast.net/~katarzyna.platt/VX/driveshaft.JPG

Numba1goalie
08/10/2005, 02:13 AM
I have the same noise. It tends to happen at lower speeds and happens a lot when I turn right. My best guess was a wheel bearing or some kind of wear coming from the brakes? I will check the U-joints tomarrow and see if thats the case.