PDA

View Full Version : Vx is in the driveway for overnight testdrive

Corey872
07/27/2005, 06:13 PM
Well, those dealers sure know how to work you - short a few wires together to get the Bronco running, rattle down to the dealer, then they tell you to take the sleek, snazzy polished VX home for the night to try it out. 99 Ironman #1612

So a few more quick questions -

Anyone on here have an unlimited CARFAX account that would want to do me a huge favof and run the VIN (I can post it or PM it if anyone would be so kind)

It seems to be pretty tight, good handling, and controlled over the few bumps I have hit. Any specific driving situations I should try? I'd love to hit a mud bog, then tell the dealer I'll take it if he can clean it up! But that might not be too good for the deal!

So I have been looking it over pretty good. So far, it seems pretty nice - new windshield (and no-leak guarantee) so it's free of all haze that can accumulate in 6 years. Bolts on the front of the engine have small, fresh, "nicks" where it looks like they have been removed, so I'm going to buy the timing belt / water pump changeout story (they also have receipts for the work, but, of course, it's their own in-house shop) Definitely got new tires, although that is probably the first thing I would like to change out.

So far my list of gripes is pretty minor - a little torn weatherstripping, broken fastener or two, one headlight is "crazed" in the plastic, looks like it could use a PS fluid change, but no show stoppers.

Also happy to report that at 6'5" I fit very well (no sunroof on this one) If I go ahead with the purchase, I may kick the front of the seat up an inch or so for more thigh support, but that is pretty much every vehicle I have ever owned.

May have to see how good of a deal I can wrangle tomorrow!

Numba1goalie
07/27/2005, 06:44 PM
Hope it works out for you. These cars are great bone stock or modded. I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

thebear54
07/27/2005, 07:40 PM
Good luck with the Dealer and stand your ground :p
You will love VX ownership. I have owned mine for two years now and don't regret it for one minute.
John

Moncha
07/27/2005, 08:00 PM
I may kick the front of the seat up an inch or so for more thigh support, but that is pretty much every vehicle I have ever owned.

Just if you haven't already figured it out.. The very front of the seat can be pulled out to adjust for thigh support. It doesn't go up, just out. I keep mine out about 1.5 to 2 inches.

Anita
07/27/2005, 08:23 PM
Here are a couple of easy ones to check for:

Run those windows up and down a lot of times and notice if they slow down or dont track up correctly.

If it has the stock cd player, put in some cd's and see if it works correctly - unless you want to quickly change the unit out for something else.

Inspect the hood insert carefully for cracks/bubbles.

Ldub
07/27/2005, 09:52 PM
Also, Check the cd player with cd's you don't like...just in case it decides to "keep" your cd's. :(

WyrreJ
07/27/2005, 10:14 PM
When doing the window check, spray some water on them first. My windows go a lot slower when wet, I believe the wetness makes them bind.

Also, despite the enthusiasm on this board, the VX was not a hot seller. In order to clear the last ones of the dealer lots back in summer of 2002, Isuzu was giving huge incentives, enough for some brand new 2001s to sell for under $20K. While the orginal sticker was somewhere around $32K, a LOT of them sold for substantially less. So, don't let them know you know how cool a truck it really is, treat it like you're doing them a favor buying something that's probably been on the lot for months.

PS - in case you didn't know, a "clean" carfax record is meaningless - it may be "clean" because their data is incomplete. On the flip-side. If carfax does list some problems, chances are the problems are legit - it is unlikely that there will be false positives.

crager34
07/28/2005, 03:32 AM
The dealer may have ran a carfax report. When I purchased my first one and helped another member here look at one, both dealers had the report.

VehiGAZ
07/28/2005, 05:36 AM
Yeah, hit the dealer up for the carfax. Mine gave it to me without me even asking for it.

Corey872
07/28/2005, 07:29 AM
Thanks to everyone for all the replies

Moncha - Tip on the seat is great! Pulled that pad out, helped a bunch.

Ldub, Anita - Checked out the CD, of course, I used my prized Guns-N-Roses CD, luckily it came back out and everything seems OK

WyrreJ - The windows seem to run smooth, but I will try the water trick, that is a good idea.

Should know one way or the other by tonight