PDA

View Full Version : ABS light on

ThunderChicken
07/26/2005, 06:30 PM
What does this mean? I was driving around in Branson today and the ABS light came on. The wife looked in the owners manual and it said to stop, kill the car and the light would go off. It did and it stayed off until I killed the car again, this time it stayed on.

Is it something to worry about? If it sits the light stays off when you start up again for about 30 minutes and then it comes on again.

Help.

Joe_Black
07/26/2005, 07:04 PM
First off, replace the fuse located in the box under the hood on the passenger side. Note the condition of the spades on the original fuse to see if any corrosion or marks to indicate a loose connection or arcing. Make sure the fuse receptacle is clear of debris and dry before installing the new fuse. If that doesn't clear it up then remove and reseat the ABS relays, making sure the receptacles are clean and free of any debris or critters. Failing that, then you make be looking at an issue with a sensor, ABS portion of the wiring harness, or even the ECU itself. At that point you may be looking at a dealer visit unless you're particularly adept at mechanics or know someone who is. Access to a service manual would help as well, especially one containing the ABS troubleshooting flow-chart.

kpaske
07/26/2005, 08:25 PM
Mine has been lit solid for a couple of months now. I've inspected everything, particularly the wiring harnesses, and can't find anything obviously wrong. If anyone has a copy of that flow-chart, I could really use some info too!

JGeorge264
07/26/2005, 10:38 PM
I've had the same issue with my ABS so I took it in and they diagnosed it as the Hydrolic Control Module,, a $2400 part.. I did some looking around and found a used one for $150.. Will have it installed next week. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

SPAZZ
07/26/2005, 11:55 PM
my ABS light has been on since I put on my 305 70 17" Goodyear wrangler MTR's. hmmm$2400 or deal with an ABS light...hmmmm...I'll deal with the light if that is the issue.

Maugan_VX
07/27/2005, 05:40 AM
put some black tape over the light if it bothers you :P

just don't forget its there when you go to sell it. My trooper's ABS light was on for years. I actually thought it stopped better without the ABS.

JGeorge264
07/27/2005, 07:48 AM
Sell it? Watch your language young man! :eek:

Joe_Black
07/27/2005, 08:33 AM
Sell it? Watch your language young man! :eek:
Forgive him for he is not yet among the chosen, but merely an acolyte straying from the path of true enlightenment. :flower:

Maugan_VX
07/27/2005, 09:22 AM
Sorry!

Comment was made during a caffeine-induced haze.

Wont happen again I promise.

zadam123
07/27/2005, 07:05 PM
I've had the same issue with my ABS so I took it in and they diagnosed it as the Hydrolic Control Module,, a $2400 part.. I did some looking around and found a used one for $150.. Will have it installed next week. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Same here, found one also on the net for $150 , installed it over 6 months ago and no more porblems, figured if it didnt work i can still do it about 15 more times for what the dealer wants.

adam

ThunderChicken
07/28/2005, 09:38 AM
Something really wierd about this ABS warning light thing. It doesn't come on when I start the VX in the morning. It's after I kill it and then start it back up again. It stays on the rest of the day.

Go figure !!!
Any ideas ???

Tone
07/28/2005, 09:44 AM
I pulled the wires out of one of the rear sensors and got the light - unfortunately you can only get the rear sensors as a pair and of course very expensive - ~$400. I would unplug and replug each sensor connector as I have had a loose front one that would randomly throw the light due to vibration.

The VX Workshop manual (downloadable on my site) has great troubleshooting steps / flow charts for most all of the systems on the vehicle. There is also a paper Electrical Troubleshooting Manual I got from Isuzu that has been extremely helpful - pdf of ABS system attached and I've emailed you the component location page that did not scan properly.