PDA

View Full Version : Horn going off

BuffArchitect
07/26/2005, 10:33 AM
Anyone ever hear of a horn going off, after the car has been parked for a couple hours? It has an aftermarket alarm, but it has it's own horn. This was definitely the stock horn. Had to disconnect the battery to get it to turn off. It also would not turn over. But after disconnecting/reconnecting the battery all was fine. Huh.

SGT.BATGUANO
07/26/2005, 10:27 PM
Is the stock horn tied into the aftermarket alarm?

BuffArchitect
07/28/2005, 02:15 PM
Yes, the stock horn is tied to an aftermarket alarm installed by the dealer. Does that make a difference?

transio
07/28/2005, 02:19 PM
Odd, I just started having issues with my horn last night. I noticed an extreme increase in the sensitivity of the horn "button" on the steering wheel. Used to be I'd have to press reasonably hard (maybe 5 lb/si of pressure) to beep. As of last night, if I just touch it (even like 0.25 lb/si of pressure) it will sound. I'm not sure what the switch is like under there, but I think maybe from pounding on the horn in Miami traffic I may have done something to it. Have you recently pounded on your horn?

Raque Thomas
07/28/2005, 09:08 PM
Anyone ever hear of a horn going off, after the car has been parked for a couple hours? It has an aftermarket alarm, but it has it's own horn. This was definitely the stock horn. Had to disconnect the battery to get it to turn off. It also would not turn over. But after disconnecting/reconnecting the battery all was fine. Huh.

Definitely an alarm issue - the key was when you said it wouldn't turn over. The VX has a stock alarm system - why do people change it??? I've had too many experiences with aftermarket alarms where you have to hold your hand at the right angle, pray to the alarm God, face south, and kiss your arse goodbye to get the vehicle to start sometimes.....WHY???If someone can defeat the factory alarm - they can defeat the aftermarket alarm - spend your money in more productive areas. I realize you didn't put this alarm on - you're only dealing with the aftermath. My advice - remove it. As soon as you can!

SGT.BATGUANO
07/29/2005, 12:26 AM
I also think it's aftermarket alarm related, considering the no-start / hard reset. The horn going off may have been an alert to an alarm problem, possible tamper or intrusion/ zone alarm. Or if you still have a stock battery, it may be dying, as most stock batteries have been replaced, I think. Maybe a stock battery poll is in order.

As far as replacing the stock alarm goes, I think those who have replaced it is due to very limited coverage... no rear door , glass break, impact or jacking coverage. I'm not sure that it even locks out the starter if you were to enter through the tailgate or a broken window.