PDA

View Full Version : Greetigns few ?'s about new VX

Corey872
07/26/2005, 10:27 AM
Hello all,

Well, I have been looking for a vehicle to replace my gas guzzling / one foot in the grave-other foot on a bananna peel Ford Bronco. Was considering a run of the mill S-10 Blazer or other smaller SUV when I had one of those "whattheheckisthatthing" moments driving past a dealership a few days ago. A closer inspection revealed a 1999 VX-ironman with 96K mi on the odometer.

The dealer claims to have replaced timing belt, water pump, alternator, both window regulators, windshield, tires and general tune-up items (belts, hoses, fluids, etc) I have yet to verify it, but I think most of that should be pretty easy to tell if it is new.

Have a few questions for the group (please bear with me - I'm searching and reading like crazy, but thought I might also get a quick summary here)

Is there anything specifically that is a "usual" trouble spot with this model - anything I should look at specifically?

Is there an actual tow rating for the VX? Most of my towing would be limited to a couple of jet skis to the lake (<1000 pound trailer) But on rare occasions, I may need to haul dirt, rocks, firewood for short distances (10 miles or less) That trailer could be in the ~5000 pound range.

How are they for legroom - I'm about 6'5" barefoot, 6'6" with shoes. I have seen a front seat relocate kit, anybody use that?

How is insurance on a VX - My wife has a Honda Insight (another low production / niche vehicle) and surprisingly the insurance is very reasonable.

Any thoughts on a reasonable price - Edmunds.com seems to be in the 8,500 range, kbb.com is at about 12,500.

Lastly, is the "ironman" package just a bunch of decals and a roof rack?

Thanks for any input - if all goes well, I can stop asking questions and start answering some!

Thanks again!!

Corey

Triathlete
07/26/2005, 11:03 AM
For one the Vx is not exactly easy on the wallet at the pumps. So if you are looking for fuel ecconomy this is not your best choice of vehicle.
As far as pricing check the for sales on this board and ebay to get a comparison as to what they are selling for in the "real" world.
There are a few 6 footers here on the board so maybe they will chime in. I'm a foot short of you and have no problems.
Usual trouble spots are the windows, headlight gaskets, and engine. All are well documented here. Search for specifics.
There is no official tow rating for the VX, however several on this board tow. Search and you'll find more info.
Insurance is not cheap. Its 4 wheel drive and sporty!
The ironman package is stickers and embordered seats. Every thing else is the same. Ironmans only came in white.
Hope this helps.

VehiGAZ
07/26/2005, 11:17 AM
The seat relocate kit (Tone's kit, that is) is not what you want. This relocates the passenger seat 2-4" forward of its usual position to add some space for passengers to get into the back.

I paid $12k for my '99 with 48k miles in December, and that was a pretty good deal. For the higher mileage one you're looking at, I'd figure 10k would be a damn good deal. But don't take my word for it... check whatever listings you can find. Anyway, splitting the diff between kbb and edmunds is probably a good way to go.

If the one you're looking at has a VX roofrack, consider that a new one will cost about $350 at the dealership, and any attachments to the crossbars are extra. And if it really got a new timing belt and window regulators, then that takes care of some major expenses.

Someone posted that the VX was good for 5000 lbs trailer weight and 500 lbs tongue weight.

Can't say much about the comfort for a six-and-halfer, but I (at 5'9") routinely knock my head on the door frame on ingress. You should check that out carefully.

Ditto on the mileage issue. I get about 17 in the summer, 15 in the winter. Not so great these days (but at least it takes regular!)

Other than that, it's a capable little 4x4 with a boatload of cool style! Not such a bad choice.

Corey872
07/26/2005, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the quick replies and good info. I think I may swing by the dealer on the way home and take a closer look/sit/drive.

One other quick question - is there any issue with body rust under the molded plastic?

As for mileage, the 15-17MPG doesn't sound great, but compared to my 10MPG Bronco, the VX is an economy machine! Plus this will just be a weekend getaway / camping / lake / snow machine -probably about 5K miles per year, so that won't run up too big of a gas bill.

Also, thanks for the info on those seat relocators...last thing I need is to move the seats forward! May wind up ripping out the front seats and just setting in the back! Worst case is that I would have to cut and weld my own brackets - done that with many other cars!

Wish me luck!
Corey

Maugan_VX
07/26/2005, 02:17 PM
I am 6'5" and have no problems. Please note I have abnormally long legs.

Also, towing 5000lbs with the VX is not something you should do unless you:

A) Put a transmission fluid cooler on it

and

B) Have trailer brakes.

While the brakes on the VX are quite enough to stop the VX + 5000lbs, the short wheelbase makes it easy to jack-knife.

I just mounted my own fabbed hitch for $50.

Checking for a new timing belt and water pump is going to be difficult as it requires to take apart almost the whole front of the engine.

My insurance agent says that I pay the same insurance as someone my age with the same record but with a porsche boxter.

Corey872
07/26/2005, 07:07 PM
My insurance agent says that I pay the same insurance as someone my age with the same record but with a porsche boxter.

Yikes!! - OK, that prompted a call directly to my agent! I was a little relieved - full coverage =$540/yr - I guess living in the middle of nowhere helps!

Also thanks for the info on the legroom - I didn't make it to the dealer before they closed tonight, so I'm still looking forward to tomorrow.

I wasn't too hopefull that I would see the actual timing belt/ water pump, but maybe hope to see some fresh nicks / scratches on the associated cover bolts. If I find that they are buried under 6 years of dust and dirt, I may have to be a little more skeptical of the claimed work!

Thanks again for the input!

Corey

Moncha
07/26/2005, 10:36 PM
Answers have been given but you can always use more.
I'm 6'03" and have no problem with the legroom. Headroom could be a little more but, I only notice it when I'm wheeling and hit a big bump and that's not often enough to complain.
I too have it easy on the insurance, my wife's Honda Pilot is several hundred dollars more a year than my VX.

Anita
07/26/2005, 11:34 PM
My fiancee is 6,4 and there is no way he can drive. His head is against the roof and tipped to one side, and his knees get in the way of steering. I think he wants a good excuse to buy another SUV. He has had his eye on an Escalade for awhile now. :rotate:

Maugan_VX
07/27/2005, 05:06 AM
Anita,

does yours have a sunroof?

VehiGAZ
07/27/2005, 05:33 AM
I haven't heard any complaints about rust under the body cladding. I will be changign one of mine out tonight, though, so I can tell you if I find anything under there.

Good luck!

Nazrat
07/27/2005, 05:59 AM
You can lower and move the seat back. I did it almost a year ago. No problems thus far.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=4654&highlight=seat

-Tad

Maugan_VX
07/27/2005, 08:09 AM
Also as far as mileage is concerned. On the trip back from the meet in DC, I got 18mpg. That was a lot of highway driving at 80mph.

transio
07/27/2005, 08:13 AM
I get about 12 mpg city / 14 hwy. I have a heavy foot.

Maugan_VX
07/27/2005, 09:14 AM
I do too.

I can't figure out what the discrepancy is between VX's that causes such a difference in mileage.

I clean my intake and EGR at every oil change. Don't think it would make a 4mpg difference though