PDA

View Full Version : considering purchase of VX...

coachreed
03/29/2003, 03:59 PM
OK, first off I should introduce myself... My name is Randy! I have found your site in pursuit of information on the VX as I am considering the purchase of one... if they are worthy... not to be mean... just curious or skeptical.

I am getting ready to purchase a vehicle in the next month or two which needs to be AWD or 4x4. My initial reason for this is that I want to be able to get around in the snow... I just relocated back to the Kansas City, MO area from Florida after four years... and am driving a covertible Trans Am... not exactly a snow worthy car.

I have looked at mulitple AWD cars and have decided that I would really want to have something that is capable of going off-road. My first thought and choice is a Jeep Wrangler... Rubicon! I am VERY familiar with these and have had FOUR other Wranglers in my past... and so I have been leaning this way.

Now, where the VX comes in... my best friend has been in love with the VX ever since she first saw them. She personally has an Isuzu Amigo and so she is trying to get my to get an Isuzu as well.

I like the looks of the VX, but am curious as to their capabilities off road. Can they REALLY handle off-roading? What are their limits? If they are somewhat limited stock, what mods can be done to make them more capable? I would be interested to know what kind of lifts and what not are available.

As a side note, I am curious about the seconds lever on the center console. They are Automatics, right? What is the second lever for? Isn't the torque on demand completely automatic? or is the second stick for that? Anyway, info would be great.

I look forward to reading the boards and learning some new info so I can make a wise decision. I look forward to hearing your input. Don't worry, I won't depend completely on this thread of mine... I WILL READ BOARDS TO CATCH UP.

Thanks in advance.

Coach... aka Randy!

Tonka
03/29/2003, 08:10 PM
Hello and Welcome!

First off, the VX has one of the best full time automatic 4wheeldrive systems around. It is very similar to the grand cherokee's 4 wheeldrive system. I live in Colorado and the VX handles the snow with ease. I drove through our recent blizzard without any problems. The 4wheel high turns itself on and off by itself. The lever you see by the automatic is the 4LO range. Owning a Wrangler you understand what that is.

As for capabilities just look at the many pictures in the gallery on this website. I take mine 4Wheeling all the time. The wheel base of the VX is only about 3/4 of an inch longer than the Wrangler and is just as (if not) more capable. It has a bigger engine w/more power and a better 4wheel drive system. The VX also has a stock clearance of about 8.4 inches, about average in the SUV market. The Wrangler has about 8.8 inches i believe stock. The only advantage the wrangler really has is its solid front axle. For some, many prefer the IFS the VX has for comfort.

If that's not enough for you, you can get the 3" lift from Calmini. Many on this board have them and i plan to get one soon as well. You can also get a host of other aftermarket parts that include intakes, exhaust, and even a supercharger! There are websites that sell these plus a lot more. I use to have a 2000 Wrangler and traded it in for my VX and have enjoyed every minute of it! They just need to have a convertable VX to make me totally happy.

Hope this helps. The VX is a love it or hate it kinda truck. Not for the conservative. Your best bet is to go and find one to test drive. It has its quirks but is a very fun to drive. Make sure you follow the "drive it like you stole it" philosophy when you test drive it. Good hunting! :)

coachreed
03/29/2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Tonka
They just need to have a convertable VX to make totally happy.

DITTO! I'm definitely with you on that call.

Now, I meant to ask a couple more questions. First off, my best friend found a black VX with a black/ORANGE interior. From what I have found on the breakdown of color combos, I don't see an orange... is this person unclear of what they have? Also, how is the reliablility of the VX? Are there any weak points? Anything to look out for when choosing one? I wanna know EVERYTHING I can before buying. Thanks again.

Randy!

Tonka
03/30/2003, 01:00 AM
The black and orange is suppose to be black and red, but the red fades if not taken care of. Opt for the gray/black combo found in the 2000/2001 year models if you don't like that. Wet Okle makes great custom seat covers but then you don't get to enjoy the leather.

The VX is very reliable in my view. Some others have had some problems but i beat the ***** out of it everyday i drive it and no problems except some minor ones in the first 5000 miles which was all covered under warranty. I now have 47K+ with no problems and have had it only for 2.5 years! Your best bet is a car fax report to see if it has anything on it or you could buy from private seller who can give you the history on it. Also check the usual when buying a used 4X4, underneath, alignment, etc. to make sure it wasn't trashed.

You might want a certain color as well. Two different silvers, black, white, green, red, and yellow. The 2000/2001 models also come with 18" chrome rims, the 1999 with 16" polished silver rims. Both are very nice. Most come with automatic climate control as well, look for that if you prefer. As other things to look out for i can't think of anymore, but i am sure some of the other members will fill in any blanks.

P.S.
Try to find a VX with an electric sunroof if you can! They didn't come with one but many put one in, including myself and make sure you go big! Very big plus!

P.S., P.S.
You could look online to find one at a really cheap price. Many people are looking to sell in the for sale section of this website. Try e-bay as well.

nocturnalVX
03/30/2003, 02:14 AM
Yes, the VehiCROSS can go off-road. The TOD all wheel drive is great for most situations, but for serious trails lock it into 4LO and go!
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/508/80moab.jpg

Vasha13
03/30/2003, 04:52 AM
I have the "red/black" interior and have always thought it was more of a orange/tomato red (maybe) color. I bought mine new and it has no fading. So it may not necessarily be as much of an unconditioned leather issue as an individual color perception.