the side of the hitch broke. Also the hitch must of been torque down and
when the loop broke the hitch moved up. I used a breaking bar and my weight
to bend it back down from the rear cladding. I am now concerned about what
I can actual tow with this thing. IE gross weight and what if it bent my mount
plate the bolts stretch?

Jeff

SPAZZ
07/20/2005, 12:43 PM
I have one of the hitches Uhaul sells and the loops also broke with light duty too. Plus, when they(uhaul) installed it it was too hard for them to get the 1/2" bolts into the frame and down through the holes...so, they used little tiny 3/8" head bolts(actual bolt size was smaller than it's head).
I used to pull people out from being stuck, tow my '68 Mustang hundreds of miles through the mountains, and also tow trailers. Andy (Swordy) and I decided to remove both of our hitches and cut out 1 1/4" of the steel and then reweld it so t sits higher up and doesn't get chewed by the rocks when offroading. I am VERY glad I did this as those little bolts that Uhaul used were warped and tweeked close to giving in half.
I couldn't imagine what would have happened if my hitch would have fell off and I lost my load or if my trailer came unhooked and those cheep week loops didn't hold.
So, always inspect and reinforce products before installation,use the B(ig)A(**)B(olts), and take the time and patience necessary to do it right. I did put 1/2" bolts now it is way strong and not going anywhere.

transio
07/20/2005, 01:51 PM
I haven't installed mine yet. Should I bolt it AND weld it?

psychos2
07/20/2005, 02:29 PM
i believe the mount is bolted to a hollow cross member and you may have put enough force on it to bend or crush the it.if you bent the hitch back with a breaker bar something is messed up.check the cross member and the mounting plate.
transio, i had mine welded. i have the dalan hitch.i put 2 bolt in and then had it welded.the choice is up to you. shawn

Kahuna
07/20/2005, 03:00 PM
Like Spazz, I also have a UHAUL hitch. My suggestion...if you use it as a bolt on...only use it for.....bike carriers....step bars....jet skis and so on. If you want to tow cars...trucks...GET IT WELDED!

Maugan_VX
07/20/2005, 04:07 PM
When I fabbed up my hitch, I put bolts through the bottom of the plate that would prevent the hitch from bending up like this. That and I used a backing plate and 1/4" plate for the mount.

Mine aint goin nowhere.

TucsonVX
07/20/2005, 07:27 PM
I will check the cross member for warp. The frame where my sliders were welded also oil canned (warped) when the sliders hit a rock. I had the frame reinforced with 1/4" steal. Word to the wise when installing anything on the Vehicross frame reinforce it.

Jeff

crager34
07/21/2005, 05:15 AM
On my first VX, I installed Tone's hitch as per the direction, and didn't have any trouble at all. As far as what you can tow... anything withing the limits of the hitch, which is Class 3. People have towed cars, trailers, jet skis.... again... within the limits of it's class. The loops on the side are made for the safety chains attached to whatever trailer you may be towing, in case of emergency.

You say you were using the tow hitch and then the loops broke. Were you pulling the steak from the loops, or the hitch...or what? If you were using the loops, well.....it sucks, but the loops weren't meant for that.

Joe_Black
07/21/2005, 06:05 AM
Like Crager said, if you pull with the loops... They're only there for emergency purposes only and aren't designed for a steady pull. If you mounted the hitch properly with the included hardware (Grade 8 bolts) then you shouldn't have any towing problems. When you pull with the hitch, use the hitch ball as that's what it's for.

As for welding the hitch to the frame, Tone's model would require some modification as part of the fuel tank skid-plate is sandwiched in the installation. Also, for any frame welding you need to engage the services of a professional welder as the VX's frame is made from cold-rolled steel. Regular welding will severely weaken it, leading to sudden failure.

Grade 8 hardware used with backing plates and generous load spread will allow frame-mounted accessories such as the hitch to take a lot of abuse. But just bolting or welding things on without proper load design, also known as good ole common sense, is just asking for trouble with an engraved invitation.

driver3
07/21/2005, 06:32 AM
I've "jerked" other cars out of the mud with mine... I hook the tow strap to the pin that goes through the center... I've never had any issues. Use the hitch pin for pulling things out, not the chain mounts.

JAFO
07/21/2005, 06:33 PM
What you need to do is use a receiver tow hook like this:
http://i20.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/19/f2/a1_1_b.JPG

Or like driver3 said use the hitchpin and go through the middle.

And if you are using chain get sand bags to put on the chain to weight it down.

If the chain snaps it will act like a whip. You want to reduce the risk of hiting something or someone.

Second the hitch when bolted using grade eight bolts should be able to bend the frame before braking off.

Remember the military trucks, their grendal hitches are bolted to the frame just like Tone's.

Make sure you use the proper hardware and lock washers and or nuts if you can't get it tight.

Tone
07/21/2005, 07:41 PM
The hitch was designed specifically for this vehicle (and tested with a properly loaded 5K lb trailer (but be aware of the 150lb tongue weight limit of the Trooper) many times before it was ever offered to anyone, just like everything else on my site) but it is not for jerking things out of the ground and certainly not by the chain hoops, LOL.

It does come with a backing plate, and if installed properly, it uses two of the existing holes already drilled in the rear frame cross piece. The hitch ships with four 1/2" Grade 8 bolts and Grade 8 Prevailing Torque lock nuts - washers (lock or otherwise) are not needed and do not offer any benefit. If the hitch is welded on after it is bolted (with no other mods) it would prevent removal of the gas skid plate or tank.

transio
07/21/2005, 10:42 PM
Tone, do you have any instructions with photos for bolt-on installation?

crager34
07/22/2005, 04:14 AM
TRANSIO - Checkout Tone's signature for a link to his website, which has a PDF'ed instruction sheet.

PeteVX
07/27/2005, 12:02 PM
Glad to hear Tones hitch was tested extensively with a 5k load before being offered, i just bought a 23 ft power cruiser boat last night, i think it weighs about 4,200 lbs with the trailer, the VX pulled it with ease and was a breeze to get in and out of the lake last night but i did wonder if anyone had ever pulled anything this big before. Prior to this i did pull a 3,000lb trailer with no problems also.

PS it looks really freaky cool with this huge assed boat behind my cool ride!

XCross69
07/27/2005, 01:01 PM
Hey Pete, post pics

TucsonVX
07/27/2005, 06:35 PM
Next Time I try to pull any thing I will use the 2" receiver hitch not the loops for chains, The dirt in Arizona turns to concrete and the stake was only 2 feet long and only 6 inches in the ground and it would not come out even after knocking back and forth with a sledge hammer. Any way its out. :p http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/240ve_qsljwpgluuzpapqyfav0hs6afphc60300.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/240ve_qsljwpgluuzpapqyfav0hs6afphc60300.jpg)