PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a vehicle?

PleasantVX
07/20/2005, 06:47 AM
When it came time to move my newly bought Vehicross from New York to Michigan it was a no brainer -- drive it and enjoy the trip. But now I have to move my wife's Camry from San Francisco to Chicago in August. Anyone have any experience (good or bad) with auto shippers. I've seen some threads on new owners considering having their VX shipping and could use some advice. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Numba1goalie
07/20/2005, 06:55 AM
A friend of mine bought a really nice Mitsubishi VR-4 twin turbo a month ago off some bay dealer. It took the shippers two weeks to come and get the car. and then a whole week to bring it to him. When the car got there. They sent him the wrong VR-4! ahaha!

one month later, he still doesnt have his car. :confused:

Numba1goalie
07/20/2005, 06:56 AM
Other then that story, I have heard nothing but great things about vehicle shipments. Good Luck!

Joe_Black
07/20/2005, 08:19 AM
I've used DAS (http://www.dasautoshippers.com/) in the past with good results for shipping several of my eBay purchases and sales, with most SUV-sized vehicles moved around $450 for that distance. But have you considered a fly-n-drive? That's what I've been doing for the last few years as it's usually less expensive, you're the one with the vehicle and it's usually an enjoyable experience. Most one-way airfares are in the $50 - $80 range, so it's almost a no-brainer.

WyrreJ
07/20/2005, 09:44 AM
Most one-way airfares are in the $50 - $80 range, so it's almost a no-brainer.
Plus you get a free cavity search after they make you take your shoes off!

Joe_Black
07/20/2005, 11:16 AM
LOL! And who says there's no more intimacy in the travel industry! :freek:

tngerman2000
07/20/2005, 03:43 PM
Dependable Auto Shippers are the best and most reasonable ! paid to have my daughters honda civic shipped 1200 miles ($520.00)

PleasantVX
07/22/2005, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the leads on the shipping question. If it was my Vehicross, I'd be a lot more willing to fly out and drive it back. Heck, it might take a month or two to make it back. But it's that curse of today's schedules that no one in our family seems to have the time to drive it back. My son and daughter drove it out in May and took four days and enjoyed it. My daughter's law firm will pay the shipping, but that's a new area for us and I wanted to see if there were good or bad experiences and what to look out for. As for the strip searches, we're flying out for a week in August and I'm hoping the security holdups don't get any worse. Couldn't talk my wife into driving the Vehicross out and towing her Camry back either. Oh well, she'll never know what she missed.