PDA

View Full Version : Lifts & wheels Dazed and Confused

Pigpen
07/19/2005, 01:55 PM
Hey all, first let me say I love this place. I am on this site quite abit, I may not post much but I am here none the less.

Here is the problem. I started the research for lifting the V this Jan. Since that time, I have read every thread and sidebar on the lifts and tires. You all have managed to confuse the hell out of me, as no one seems to concur on tires (specifically size) and the relationship to the amount of trimming to use with the OME 912s. Some say no trimming, some say buy a chainsaw and a bring a preist.

Seriously lets have a Thunderdome and figure this one out. If you dont believe me use the key word "lift" and/or "tires" in a search and see all the different answers. Specific answers would be nice, such as what is needed to mount 33" or 32" BFG ATs. I have noticed some threads with other tires which just require an off set to mount.

Right now I have the 912s sitting in my garage gathering dust.

Before the flame session begins on me, I would like to thank Bill Oliver (Triathlete) for the great install guide for the 912s.

KK flame away and thanks

SPAZZ
07/19/2005, 02:48 PM
if all you have is OME912's and want to put 33's on...good luck and have fun with that Priest, chainsaw, and don't freek when the pea soup starts flying :p

AnalogVX
07/19/2005, 02:50 PM
I have not lifted my VX...yet. But I can say this. The amount of trimming will depend on your wheel width and offset. Wider wheels will cause the tire to well...be a little wider than if it were mounted an a narrower rim. Add any difference in offset and that puts the tire even further out past the wheel well. I would wager that people that say no or little trimming are still using stock or a 7" aftermarket rim. People that are calling up Clergy may be using an 8" or wider rim and have a different offset.

nocturnalVX
07/19/2005, 10:06 PM
I agree with Spazz & Rich completely. I have 31" tires on 8" rims, and believe I wouldn't have had to trim the cladding at all had I first done the lift. :goof:
That said, the reason there are so many posts (and so much info) is that there are so many different lift/wheel/tire combinations on our VXes.
:luck:

Triathlete
07/19/2005, 10:34 PM
Pigpen,
I will be in Sierra Vista (Ft. Huachuca) Racing this Saturday (July 23). If you'd like to check out my lift and tire set up let me know. I race at 6 and should be done by 9ish. Let me know and we can exchange phone #'s. Also just to get your interest up am planning an over night camping/wheeling trip for Sept. More info to come later!

VXcaver
07/20/2005, 08:19 AM
So yours is the Proton I've seen in Sierra Vista/Ft. Huachuca! My pops lives in Sierra Vista in the summer and we've done some off-road trips around Sierra Vista. Cool area, lots of history. I can't help much on the tire info - just wanted to say welcome. As you've figured, Billy Triathlete is the go-to guy around here for info on tires/lifts/etc.

Pigpen
07/20/2005, 03:03 PM
Bill, I will try to link up with you on Sat. what time does the Tri end and where?
Barnes Field House? let me know.

dkmiller68
07/20/2005, 04:06 PM
Billy,
What kind of racing are you doing...is it using the VX or running/biking?

Triathlete
07/21/2005, 11:32 AM
DKM...Triathlon. Only use the VX will get for the race is hauling me and my bike to the race site!

Pigpen...the race is at the base pool. The one thats like 1/2 a mile from the main gate. I should be done racing by 7:15 (if they have me in the first start wave). But then I'll have to stick around for the awards. I'm defending my win from last year! :bwgy: :naughty:

kpaske
07/21/2005, 05:13 PM
I'm running the Nitto Terra Grappler LT285/75/R16's on stock 16" rims. The tires are supposed to measure 32.68" x 11.33". I've got OME912's, longer rear shocks, and the torsions bars cranked in the front. The trimming/bending I had to do was minimal.

As RichD pointed out, there is no cut and dry answer on how big you can go vs. how much trimming you will have to do because there are so many variables, including the rim width and offset, how far you crank your torsion bars, and even the brand and style of tire. Even small differences in the way the tires are measured due to tread patterns and such can make a big difference as to whether they rub, and how they fit on the wheel.

The Nittos I have actually call for a 8" or wider rim, but on stock 7" rims they tend to bow out just a little bit more, which I think causes them to be a little bit shorter. In other words, they might be more like 32.5" x 11.5".

If I were you, I would look at specific tire / rim combinations that you like that someone else has already done, then ask them how much lifting and trimming needed to be done to get them to work. Otherwise you're really playing guesswork, so I hope you find an understanding tire shop willing to play around with some different combinations for you.