PDA

View Full Version : Electric Radiator Fan

cascabel3
07/19/2005, 10:38 AM
It appears that my front Electric Radiator Fan does not come on. VX ran up to 215 degrees in water temp (scan gauge reading) and I pulled over and idled high to reduce heat along with turning off the AC. It was 105 outside with hilly driving. I have already removed the Electric Radiator Fan, to hook up directly to 12volts. I wonder if this fan only comes on with the AC, I have never noticed it running since I have owned the car.

Any advice, experience?

Scott Harness
07/19/2005, 11:54 AM
I have had my VX for over a year. I drive in hot Dallas traffic, went to Moab, offroad in east Texas with temps near 100 ,with no problems and my fan is not connected. I think it was wrecked and bodyshop never reconnected it. I keep meaning to fix it, just never get to it.

Moncha
07/19/2005, 12:18 PM
You were correct in say the Electric Fan only comes on when the A/C is on it's to increase air flow over the condenser core. I've never seen it come without.

cascabel3
07/19/2005, 12:52 PM
Thank you for your replies.

I never hit the red line but my scan gauge tells me the differences in temperature. At 215 I pull over, it should run cooler than that I think.

SilverBullet75
07/19/2005, 12:57 PM
Mine comes close to overheating daily in the Vegas 115 Degree heat. I was wondering if anyone has installed an oil filter "sandwich adapter" and ran oil lines to an external oil cooler?

Todd Adams
07/19/2005, 03:08 PM
The electric fan is the a/c condenser fan and is controlled by the high-pressure switch on the a/c drier, so it was not designed to aid in engine cooling. The engine fan has a viscous drive that may be your problem. If there is an accumulation of dirt due to the loss of viscous fluid at the hub, then I would replace it.

After I installed the winch I seemed to notice an air flow problem at a stop. The a/c would not cool as well but the condenser fan was on. I installed an after market electric fan on the left side of the radiator that took care of the a/c problem as well as running a bit hot on the trail. I have never had a problem on the road no matter what temperature.
Todd