PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with Yok AVS ST's with some milage on them?

VXNIT
07/18/2005, 05:49 PM
Is anyone running the Yokohama AVS ST tires on the VX that they have had on and put some milage on them. I was set on these for mine but many tire dealers indicate poor wear and very noisy after minimum wear. I know some are running these but not sure if they were recently installed...Thanks

WormGod
07/18/2005, 05:57 PM
They are wrong. Had mine for 28k miles. They do wear faster than I had hoped cause they are very soft rubber, but they still have another few 1,000 left in them. No louder than the day I bought them either.

Have these dealers ever even had them on THEIR cars? Great performing tire (cept for snow and offroad) and excellent looking.

VXNIT
07/18/2005, 06:03 PM
WormGod, I knew that you ran these and praised them as well as Tomdietrying but don't know anyone else running. I really like the look and the size I want 285/60/18 on stock rims. Tomdietrying indcated he did not require trimming on his and if I recall I believe you made some minor trims...I keep mine 99% on pavement and a little beach driving here in FL.

Moncha
07/19/2005, 07:11 AM
I have used the AVS' for the last two years.. They are a very good tire for certain conditions. Pavement driving with rain, GREAT! Pavement driving with snow, NO!! They do wonderfully offroad although this last trip to Moab I did see a few more "chunks" missing from the tread. Sand covering a hard surface, you see yourself slide a bit but, I imagine you would do fine on the beach.

It really depends on the type of driving you want more performance on and what looks you want. The Nitto's are a great all-round tire but have the off-road look. The Yoke's have a great street look but, are limited on their best performance to the street.

Even though I love the Yokes, I'll probably go with the Nittos by next year's Moab trip.

Nazrat
07/19/2005, 09:11 AM
I'm at 1 year and uhh 16k miles I guess and I still like them. They stick very well, but I can break them loose on the dry pavement, it just takes some effort. I rotated them for the first time at around 16k and I should have a bit earlier. Oh well. They are wearing very well though, I'd expect somewhere around 40k miles out of them at this rate. We'll see.

-Tad

WormGod
07/19/2005, 09:49 AM
Ya, I think the trimming issue is "what wheel are you using". My wheels are deep dish and like to pound the tire out of the well a bit. This makes for a tighter turn for the tire in the wells. I had some cutting to do. Trust me, I did not want to, but it was all plastic. No metal.

Just keep your wheels in mind. I did extremely minimal trimming when I had them mounted on my stock wheels. I know many folks didnt have to trim with them, but, for some reason or another, I had some minor rubbing.

VXNIT
07/19/2005, 11:02 AM
Thanks fro input everyone. I must say I will haqve to go for the Yoks..