PDA

View Full Version : Help !!!Suspension getting Harsher and noisier

james1_10018
07/12/2005, 05:09 PM
Hi Guys
I have had my '99 since.. 1999 brand spanking new. I know the car has harsh ride, but lately the car seems to have more thumps on the Pa expansion gabs on the road. Is it me or something isnt right. The whole car shakes, the dashboard rattles on every joint. It also seems like the suspension is weaker. I have 39k on it . Is she getting old on me ? What parts make the suspension in the VX. Could it be the torsion bars are getting weaker and hence the wheel travel more ?
I need help as I dont mind a rouhg ride but the noise and the whhel jump is driving me crazy. And I still love her to death but if she continues I may have to get rid of :confused her :confused:

Hotsauce
07/12/2005, 05:41 PM
You need shocks badly, and maybe sway bar bushings. You should also check and adjust wheel bearings.

John C.

Moncha
07/12/2005, 05:43 PM
First, what condition are the tires in? I noticed as my original Bridgies got thinner the ride sucked. Second, check to see if you have any of the shocks showing any leakage. You can find photos of them by searching the gallery. It's unlikely that any of the other suspension components would be causing the problem at that mileage unless there is unmentioned damage somewhere or if an adjustment needs to be done..

Awwww John you beat me!

james1_10018
07/13/2005, 10:54 AM
Moncha you might be on the money
My tires are getting thinnner and thinner. These are the originals. Hotsauce, could the swaybar bushing cause rough ride ?

Moncha
07/13/2005, 11:38 AM
Worn sway bar bushings will cause the handling to be loose, following the road ruts, and just a "mushier" steering wheel response as will worn tires. Have you checked your air pressure since the warmer weather set in? If not, the tires will be at a higher pressure and could cause you to feel the road more.

dwareysf
08/06/2005, 02:08 AM
I also began experiencing the same problem 6 or 7 months after purchasing my 2001 VehiCROSS new in Aug. 2002. Three years, 33,000 miles, four sets of rear shocks replaced by 2 different dealerships in two different states who were about as much help as a bag of rocks, going without the use of my VCross for a total of 23 days just by one dealer alone, tons of unanswered calls to Isuzu Customer Relations, a complaint made to BBB Autoline which resulted in an "inspection" by the Zone Customer Relations Manager which completely insulted my intelligence and finally an arbitration hearing with Isuzu in which it took almost 4 months to receive a decision, I am happy (and a little bummed) that Isuzu has been ordered to "Re-purchase" my VehiCROSS for the full amount (- $1780.00 for usage) that I paid for it.

I am very happy with the arbitrator's decision because the lack of respect for their customers by Isuzu and the time and effort I had to put into being able to enjoy my VCross was more than anyone should have to deal with. I am bummed because I love my VCross but was no longer able to enjoy it because I hated to drive it because of the way that it rode.

WyrreJ
08/06/2005, 02:35 AM
You should try to slip a note describing your debacle into the glove compartment or somewhere even less conspicuous. You just know that Isuzu is going to turn right around and sell that VX to some hapless sucker. At least you'll give the sucker a chance to know what he's getting into if you do.

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/06/2005, 05:59 PM
First, what condition are the tires in? I noticed as my original Bridgies got thinner the ride sucked.

I still have my original Bridgies mounted on the OEM wheels (with the peeling chrome :rolleyes: ) which I've since replaced with my new Bridgestone AT Revos and American Racing wheels.....when gas prices shot up I toyed with the idea of remounting them on the VX during the summer months to kill them off and compare gas mileage...as well as see how the SC handled the smaller tires.

My idea sucked as much as the ride did...lol. Gas mileage didn't seem any better than the Revos are giving me...the ride sucked....and if acceleration via SC'ing was any better with the smaller tires my butt dyno couldn't tell.

So now I'm toying with getting my OEM tires recapped with winter tread by a local tire place specializing in recapping tires. I figure since they would only be run during the winter months the chances of the treads flying apart would be minimal! :eek:

SGT.BATGUANO
08/07/2005, 02:30 AM
I am bummed because I love my VCross but was no longer able to enjoy it because I hated to drive it because of the way that it rode.

Did you consider replacing the shocks with aftermarket units by yourself?