PDA

View Full Version : VX on MPG in City?? Honest answer please

SW_VX gal
07/10/2005, 05:14 PM
Ok, I am really ready to buy myself my VehiCROSS much sooner than later,
and now even resorting to travel a bit of distance if necessary to get myself "just the right one".

I looked at a few over the weeknd, which were not completely close by, but I have to start somewhere. I have found Vx's on line, that I could see myself buying if the local ones here don't work out in my favor.

So, my question is:

HONESTLY, How is the MPG on these babies???

This is my (biggest) concern next to parts, warranty etc.

I live in the Los Angeles County area, and will be using this car to travel to and from my clients appointments, to the beach of course, and plain old crappy stop and go traffic in the city.

I am really needing some good input to make this decision final.

Back to trucktrader, autotrader and ebay online.

VX owners in Los Angeles and cities such as LA., your input is most definitely needed.. :)

I am needing to get my choice made soon, so I can take my new ride up North to my friends new home in Napa for her houeswarming party.
All eyes on me please...LOL

Thank you,

MZ-N10
07/10/2005, 05:27 PM
im doing about 17mpg combined in norcal...

Nazrat
07/10/2005, 05:28 PM
My last tank of gas was 15.5mpg. That's with a heavy foot and a supercharger. I'd have to assume that something either wasn't stock, or something was broken/worn out if you got worse gas mileage than that. My high is 22mpg on the highway (again, moving fairly fast).

-Tad

Hotsauce
07/10/2005, 05:55 PM
12 city.

Supercharged, cat back, etc.

At least 1 pedal fully down 100% of the time.

John C.

Maugan_VX
07/10/2005, 06:12 PM
I get from 13 to 15 depending if people driving around me are driving like jackasses.

Anita
07/10/2005, 06:54 PM
I wouldnt get a VX if you are really in need of an auto that gets good mileage. Depending if you are a lead foot or not, it can go from 12 to 15 in stop-and-go traffic. Some get as much as 18 on the highway. If you are going to be driving a lot be prepared for the VX's tight suspension. For me, I love the nimble handling of it plus the looks.... there is nothin' like it.

There are lots of L.A. VXer's around including a few female owners. A few of us got together just this week and invited Creeg who is also looking for a VX to join us. He got the royal "VX treatment" by Cascabel, LisaK and I. When we left him he had that "I really want a VX" smile on his face. :)

SW_VX gal
07/10/2005, 08:06 PM
Thank you for all the great replies :)

I really appreciate the honesty, and Anita, I wish I had caught up
with you gals, dang. :(

You and I need to chat really soon, and I am going to go check out and see your pics after this post.

I am so glad to hear there a few VX'ers from L.A. (guys and gals) and
Norcal, as this info is my first step to confirm I am ready to take the
plunge.

I knew and know the gas mileage was going to be the "issue" for me to decide on, but I really feel this is the car I must take to Mammoth for those ski trips and those drives up and down the coast, of course, after shmooozing it up with the clients during the week.

OK...I am definitely feeling the good vibes on my choice.

Hooray for your replies, and I can't wait to catch up with you locals.

Off to read the forums, learn about this car inside and out so the questions may keep flying until I am all tuckered out with informaiton. :p

Back soon!

thedutchguy
07/11/2005, 05:15 AM
slurrrrrp!

AndyC
07/11/2005, 06:22 AM
Well I just filled up last night, and it figured out to 15.5 BUT that includes pulling my jet boat back and forth to the river twice and some "high speed playing" on the highway. I usually seem to get in the high teens when driving around (17-18). That 's normall driving. When playing it gets worse and when towing I think it drops to the low teens. The only mod is the Cat back exhaust on my VX
I actually found a station last night near my sister's house that was at $2.299 but I'm sure that'll be up today. The average price seems to be $2.52 which kind of sucks when I have to fill the boat and the VX at the same time :eek:

Andy

SlowPro48
07/11/2005, 07:27 PM
As they say, your milage may vary - but here's mine:
Overall Average = 15.5mpg
All interstate yields no more than 18.5mpg - usually 17mpg while cruising at 75-80mph
All city will yield 14 or less. Has been as low as 11mpg when I first got the VX and was overly frisky with the loud pedal. Two speeding tickets and hundreds of dollars in lawyer fees within the first month of ownership (after having a clean record for years) seemed to increase the in-town mileage somwhat.

Apparently city mileage could be better though. Just yesterday my girfriend said "My GOD! Why do you ALWAYS drive like a bat out hell when you get in this thing?!? She's got no room to talk though. Every time we swap vehicles she says she's got to get her Xterra back before she gets her license revoked. There's just something about a zippy little VX that makes you want to hammer it even though you know the groceries are going to be all over the place when you get home...

TechnoPope
07/11/2005, 08:50 PM
I have been getting 12-15 mpg with all city driving. I could go on about how much I like my VX, however, there are a few things I have learned about using one for a business vehicle. Anita mentioned the stiff suspension. You may love it, but if you ever have to take a Lexus loving client for much of a ride, they may not. Also, if you must ask your clients to climb into the back seat, keep in mind that it is a tight squeeze for most anyone getting in and an acrobatic adventure for a novice getting out. One other thing I noticed is the lack of a light in the cargo area. If you have to load/unload/search for/assemble anything at night, it can be pretty dark back there if you do not do something to overcome this stock issue. Please disregard if none of these concerns apply to your situation. Good luck with your VX shopping!

HotFlyer
07/12/2005, 04:35 AM
I've been getting 12 to 14 mpg, combo city/highway on regular. "OUCH"

Howard (0761)

deermagnet
07/13/2005, 05:32 AM
Last summer I checked my mpg three times and got 19.73, 19.97, and 19.91 mpg city/highway. Last week I got 19.73 and this week 19.28 mpg. After 5.3 years and 105,000 miles, my VX runs like a dream. I have no complaints and I still love this vehicle.

JAFO
07/13/2005, 08:30 PM
Mine (stock, dirty air filter) gets 18.5 mpg combined last week I was intentionally sporting around and got 17 mpg.