PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Motor

tngerman2000
07/09/2005, 04:34 AM
I just bought my 2000 VX and was talking to a mechanic in our town about changing out the timing belt as soon as I mentioned that it was a 3.5 motor he refused to work on it , told me that there are all kinds of problems with this motor. When I went to google and keyed in 3.5 Isuzu Motors I found a few horror stories from HELL especially the engine oil problem! Now I'm a little paranoid, I was just wondering if there are any members here that hav ehad that same problem?

Ron Pfeiffer
07/09/2005, 06:15 AM
Some have had the oil-induced seizure, yes. Do a search here for oil buring and seizure problems, and you'll find the posts detailing the horror stories, controversy, and possible remedies. What it boils down to, I think, is that some engines have the problems, most don't, change your oil regularly and keep the EGR valve tight, use good oil, and if you monitor your oil usage between changes, you can see it coming and catch it with warranty (if you have one) before it blows. Wow, that was the mother-of-all-run-on-sentences. :)

To the best of my knowledge, though, the engine doesn't have any other significant issues. I find it surprisingly easy to work on, actually, at least for the little stuff. I changed my fan belt, for example, in under four minutes without tools, and saved $70.

Hope some of this helps - welcome to the club!

Ron

Joe_Black
07/09/2005, 08:22 AM
Sounds like your mechanic is doing the routine practice of covering his ignorance with tall tales to keep from working on something unfamiliar.

Yes, there have been a few failures to prompt the "horror stories" but no more so than any other mass-produced engine ever seen in a production vehicle. Consider that the Isuzu 3.2L and 3.5L engines (same basic engine) have been in continuous production since 1992 with over a million units powering a variety of Isuzus worldwide. Domestically we share the same engine with the Trooper, Axiom, Rodeo, and Rodeo Sport/Amigo. Realize also that Isuzu produces the worlds best diesel engines and they use that engineering know-how in their gas engines, meaning they're somewhat overbuilt. Another interesting thing is that Isuzu has never had the need to issue a recall on any of their vehicles in the US. There was a recall affecting the Ascender and it's GM brethren, but the only thing on the Ascender produced by Isuzu is the stickers.

So, the chances of your 3.5L puking is more related to how the previous owner cared for it and how you perform required PM, such as the every-other-oil-change PCV valve replacement. There is potential for a "lemon" block, but the odds are small.

When I bought my second VX off eBay I didn't even blink at the 99,550 miles it had. Why? Because it's an Isuzu. I've high-mileaged every one of the 7 Isuzus owned since 1984 with the exception of my '01 VX by virtue of the fact it's new.

I may seem rather opinionated but I don't voice that opinion unless it's backed by facts, history and experience. Equipment has to earn my respect and admiration, and Isuzu has done that.

Ldub
07/09/2005, 10:36 AM
Joe,

Well said!

Ldub

thebear54
07/09/2005, 05:23 PM
YUP...No Boubt A dout it.........

Joe said it all right there!!

I have never run across any mechanic (Except Isuzu Mechanics ;) ) who ran away from the 3.5....better find yourself a new guy to work on your cars.
John