PDA

View Full Version : tie rod install

smorris65
07/06/2005, 12:36 PM
I hit a curb with the VX I've had just a few months and broke a wheel.
Insurance paid for the wheel, but the dealership can not get the tie rod end's loose to do an allignment because they are so rusted. Labor $630.00 + $240.00 for 2 new tie rod's. Any suggestions how I can get my VX back without spending another $1000.00? Anyone have a good tie rod for sale?

Moncha
07/06/2005, 12:52 PM
Hooie! Take it to a good shop.. A little heat and wax, maybe some penetrating oil and they should come loose.. They just see an easy mark..

smorris65
07/06/2005, 01:39 PM
This is actually the adjusting nut they can not get loose & they say they have already tried heat. I am thinking I should take it home and soak the nut in liquid wrench, or wd40 for a few days and take a cheater bar to it myself. A friend had mentioned the threads get so rusted they'd just break off if I forced it.

thebear54
07/06/2005, 06:38 PM
I personally have never heard of the "Torch" not working on tie rod ends...I think someone is pulling your chain a little too tight. I would try a local shop or a Midas garage and stand there and watch the miracle of heat (when done right). I had the rod ends done on my Rodeo two years ago and it only cost me $100.00 complete and they had to torch the ends because of all the salt they use up here in the winter.
John

SGT.BATGUANO
07/07/2005, 12:01 AM
Hacksaw the side(s) of the nut off, or try the miracle known as a "nut buster/ cracker".

Triathlete
07/07/2005, 09:07 AM
If all the above great tips don't work (which one of them should) and you do have to replace the tie rods, don't pay those rediculous prices for sub par factory replacements. There are two awsome heavy duty replacements available for the same price...check out Andy (Swordy) and Dallas (stinktfab.com). Another alternative is a set of used one from all hundaiisuzu or for new ones try Merlin at St. Charle Isuzu.